• Register Today It's free!

Fan clutch issue.

jayvazz

Reaction score
City, State
jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 xlt
:usa:hello everyone,just purchased a 2005 explorer very nice truck have always wanter a explorer great looking truck waited long because of hear say of problems with ford vehicles but any,here is my concern my fan clutch stays on at times from cold start intermit at times will turn on after it warms up i've been reading several post by owners and solutions ,not sure what direction to go first
somesay thermostat ,others fan clutch ,and even thermal bypass bringing it to the dealer would cost more mony than it should as everyone knows there prices
are not cheap im pretty handy and can do most of the work myself but do not want to spend all day just trying to find the failed part any suggestions would be greatly appreciate thanks... and sorry for the redundancy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you can turn the fan by hand the clutch should be good ive replaced mine due to internal parts failing and it locked up the fan

...Meaning, I think, that if you can turn the fan by hand when the engine is cool, it is probably Ok. When the engine is warmed up, the fan clutch should be locked up or firm & difficult to turn by hand.

Jake

i check fan clutch pretty stiff doesn't move to much after spin only about 2 or 3 blades than stops .....

if it only goes that far then you need a need fan clutch, and its actually the opposite when the viscious fluid is warm inside the fan clutch it spins easier then when cold

Back