Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Fan clutch issue.

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by jayvazz, June 30, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jayvazz

jayvazz New Member

City, State:
      jersey
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2005 xlt
      :usa:hello everyone,just purchased a 2005 explorer very nice truck have always wanter a explorer great looking truck waited long because of hear say of problems with ford vehicles but any,here is my concern my fan clutch stays on at times from cold start intermit at times will turn on after it warms up i've been reading several post by owners and solutions ,not sure what direction to go first
      somesay thermostat ,others fan clutch ,and even thermal bypass bringing it to the dealer would cost more mony than it should as everyone knows there prices
      are not cheap im pretty handy and can do most of the work myself but do not want to spend all day just trying to find the failed part any suggestions would be greatly appreciate thanks... and sorry for the redundancy

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. hotstang111

hotstang111 New Member

City, State:
      ortonville, Mi
      '98 xlt 4 dr manual
      if you can turn the fan by hand the clutch should be good ive replaced mine due to internal parts failing and it locked up the fan

4. Expl01

Expl01 New Member

City, State:
      Long Beach, CA
      01 XLT
      ...Meaning, I think, that if you can turn the fan by hand when the engine is cool, it is probably Ok. When the engine is warmed up, the fan clutch should be locked up or firm & difficult to turn by hand.

Jake

5. jayvazz

jayvazz New Member

City, State:
      jersey
      2005 xlt
      i check fan clutch pretty stiff doesn't move to much after spin only about 2 or 3 blades than stops .....

6. hotstang111

hotstang111 New Member

City, State:
      ortonville, Mi
      '98 xlt 4 dr manual
      if it only goes that far then you need a need fan clutch, and its actually the opposite when the viscious fluid is warm inside the fan clutch it spins easier then when cold

7. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars