Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

fan clutch seems stuck on

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by vipersinu2, July 12, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. vipersinu2

vipersinu2 Active Member

City, State:
      The Big City of Orange City, Florida
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97-03 4.0 exp 07 mount v8
      I bought a used 2003 explorer for 1500 bucks with 180,000 miles ( I put a new 2010 engine last week 2000 miles on it) fan clutch seems stuck on and seems like there is a bunch of power loss. It is hot here in florida about 80 at night and still on nostop whine from the fan. ( I took the fan off and whoa abunch more power!!) I noticed in the morning with the cool air it runs great! but i don't remember if I heard the fan or not. I will check tommorrow morning.

Is there a way repair clutch by spraying lube to loosen up clutch? a new fan is around 50 bucks or should I go with an electric fan?

I replaced engine
      mass air flow ( check engine light was on)
      throttle position sensor
      soaked injectors in marvel oil and sprayed out with carb clean.
      fuel filter (one half of the filter was clogged and dark brown dirty gas came out. what a pain in the ass job to replace that filter)
      air filter, belts, and hoses
      rear blend door actuator

things that need replaced
      rear has loud whine (ordered one on ebay)
      fresh air/ rec air door broken
      upper ball joints boots torn but no play yet
      steering u joint boot ripped also

for around 3200 bucks so far and a nice truck should last a bit!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JoshMcMadMac

JoshMcMadMac Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Waynesboro, PA
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
    4. Argentimage

Argentimage Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      2005 Limited
      I read through this referenced 4.6 article. My questions pertain to the '05 4.0 L.

Are these known to be failing?

And how do we know at 80 ambient if the fan is supposed to be spinning or not?

How do you test its function?

5. vipersinu2

vipersinu2 Active Member

City, State:
      The Big City of Orange City, Florida
      97-03 4.0 exp 07 mount v8
      changed my clutch fan today, much better but still lacking power. Still not as much power as the morning cool air, although it is 100 here in florida.

should i disconnect the battery for over night. will the truck relearn how to run with the new fan?

I took off the old clutch fan, spinning the large nut was very tight when spinning by hand, after about 6 full turns it would break free and spin freely.

I am guessing that clutch fan was bad?

6. JoshMcMadMac

JoshMcMadMac Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Waynesboro, PA
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      There is little or no difference between the 4.6L and 4.0L fan. The clutch is a wear/maintenance item, so it is not that they are "known to be failing" but more that they get worn out. The ambient temperature does not directly affect when the fan runs, the engine/coolant temperature does. You can check it easily by spinning it by hand when the engine is cold...if it spins freely, it is still good.

There is nothing electronic for the vehicle to adjust for, so disconnecting the battery will not change anything. It sounds like the clutch is worn out if it is stiff when cold. The entire fan does not need replaced, just the clutch.