FED UP with the squeaking - '02 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FED UP with the squeaking - '02 sport

nonameyet4b

Reaction score
So I've had my 02 Ford Explorer Sport for about 2 months now. 80,000k miles. Great truck, but I've been battling squeaks coming from the front engine area since I purchased the truck. Replaced belt, tensioner arm, and idler pulley...fixed first squeak.

Now, about a month later, another different sounding squeak. Took belt off, manually turned pulleys and found that the alternator pulley was the only one that had a squeak. 170$ later, still f**king squeaking. None of the pulleys seem to wobble at all.

The squeak sounds like a bad pulley, is only present upon starting the car and for about 10-15 min while driving on my first trip of the day only. The squeak is proportional to acceleration, cannot be heard when idle, and seems to go away after 15 minutes. Its not a rattle or grinding sound, definaltey a high pitched squeak-squeak-squeak.

Called a Ford dealership...they told me that 02 Sports do not have camshaft synchronizers, and I confirmed this by removing the cam sensor to find...no camshaft assembly, just a small hollow space with fluid (oil?) in it.

Please, any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I have done everything outlined on this website to diagnose the problem, but seem to be at a loss.

If its not a pulley (not 100% sure on that), and since 02 Sports do not have cam. synchronizers, any suggestions on what it could be?

Back