Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

few questions about my 95 sport

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by 2Gsport, August 3, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 2Gsport

2Gsport New Member

City, State:
    Washougal,WA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1995 sport
    just picked up a lifted 95 sport 4wd, 5spd. seems to run good, shifts ok but does not like to go into any gear but 4th if at a stop once in neutral. i figure the slave cyl prolly just needs to be bled, but maybe you guys have heard of this and could tell me if it's just the way these tranny's are, thats what the previous owner told me. also, the transfer case motor isn't there. been doing some reading and looks like i need to source out a manual once from a simular year?

maybe someone can clear this up for me, if i put the manual transfer case in, by puting it in 4low will it be in 2low untill the switch is turned to 4wd? cause i've been reading about the vac disconnect and i'm still uncertain if the e transfer case has to be preseant for that switch to do any good... here's a pic for ya guys, picked it up for a good deal...

[​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Lacky01

Lacky01 Active Member

City, State:
    Eugene, Oregon
    1998 Sport
    I say try bleeding the clutch. when my slave cylinder was going out, I had to pump the clutch in order to get it into first. I'm not very good at "popping" it into gear.

4. 2Gsport

2Gsport New Member

City, State:
    Washougal,WA
    1995 sport
    is there a paticular process for these style slaves? i'm guessing not as easy as the slaves in hondas/acura's i'm used to working on haha

5. Lacky01

Lacky01 Active Member

City, State:
    Eugene, Oregon
    1998 Sport
    my Honda has a cable powered clutch haha!

I can't remember the process off-hand, but it was pretty straight forward. its an internal slave cylinder, but you don't need to remove it to bleed it I believe.

6. 2Gsport

2Gsport New Member

City, State:
    Washougal,WA
    1995 sport
    well, the clutch is getting chattery. i can't really figure out if the clutch is jacked up or if the slave needs bled. don't really have the funds to replace either just yet but it's getting annoying as hell driving when i can't get it into 1st gear when stopped. other then that i'm loving this rig.

also checked the vins, made sure all the stuff on this rig was legit and what the previous owner said it was and wow.. found out this rig was a 2wd with 327 gears.... he said he swapped out all the drivetrain from his 96. guess he did haha... also found out my transfer case is a non awd model but my front end is an awd unit from his 96. thinking thats not a good mix, vibrates a bit while driving in 2wd... i planned on throwing in a manual T case anyways...

7. KPT

KPT Well-Known Member

City, State:
    NC
    '95 XL 4x4
    I had that problem, couldn't get it fixed. Look up in the sticky threads for how I fixed it.

Doesn't matter. If it indeed is a front end from an AWD you won't have a vacuum disconnect, to answer your earlier question.

8. 2Gsport

2Gsport New Member

City, State:
    Washougal,WA
    1995 sport
    so i picked up a manual T case today with linkage. also ordered my shifter bushing rebuld kit...

here's a pic of the wheels i threw on a month ago. tires are 1/8th inch smaller but wider and on a 16 inch rim.. looks better i think

[​IMG]