Finally changed EPC solenoid...results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally changed EPC solenoid...results

awhughes

Reaction score
City, State
Kernersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 exp, xlt sohc, 4x4
First a little history..bought the truck in 1999 with 30k miles, always flushed the fluid @ 30k mile intervals. Around 100k started getting a delay going into reverse. Around 145k started getiing flare 1to2 and 2to3 gear shifts. I never got any error codes like flashing od light so I was uncertain if EPC was the culprit. I never checked pressures. The pan was always clean (@ 100k and 160K), a little black sediment, but nothing to be concerned about.

Last summer I bought an EPC solenoid off Ebay for 45~50 bucks and never put it in. I also bought the updated bracket from Ford.

This weekend @ 184k, with the flaring getting on my nerves, I was going to get rid of the car or get the tranny rebuilt. I decided to drop the pan and put it the solenoid that's been sitting in my tool box and see what happens.

Results: it shifts perfect like it did @ 30k miles and my miles per gallon are sure to go up since I dont have to feather the accelerator to get it to shift. I cant believe the results, you would think it had a new trasmission in it. Looks like I will see 200k with this truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was it a new EPC for that price? Was it the one with the red band around the front filter? Did you check the valve body bolts, and gasket while the pan was off?

Yes it was a new EPC (OEM number matched what was removed, made in Germany), I had been watching the vendor on Ebay and when I saw a buy it now for around $50, I bid on it. I was exspecting the vendor to catch the mistake but they didnt. The vendor was Monster Liquidators. The original price was around $65 in prior auctions.

Yes, it was the EPC with the red bands around the front filter.

Yes, I checked the other bolts, none were loose.

The gasket did not appear to be out off position/blown out where it was visible.

Once I changed out the EPC, the shifts were solid right from the start. The shifts are still fine, its like a different vehicle. Like I said this EPC that I changed out was the original EPC with 184k on it, and the shifts started getting soft and delayed 1.5 years ago @ 150k or so but never got any worse and never recieved a flashing OD light. Never any metal or ecxcessive junk in the bottom of the pan when I was doing filter changes. My mileage is way up, and I can go back into stop and go traffic.

my gas mpg is so crap that i put $20.00 only doctor or take go out to the movies when i come home with no a/c i have go to gas station again put $20.00 again i have a K&N cold air intake im not racing driving normal but my overdrive light would flash if i dont warm up my ford explorer i change my automatic filter god damn it was slipping 1st gear i left off gas pedal when i go to the stop sign i feel the tranny trying to let go i dont know want to do i refuse to buy a brand new suv

my gas mpg is so crap that i put $20.00 only doctor or take go out to the movies when i come home with no a/c i have go to gas station again put $20.00 again i have a K&N cold air intake im not racing driving normal but my overdrive light would flash if i dont warm up my ford explorer i change my automatic filter god damn it was slipping 1st gear i left off gas pedal when i go to the stop sign i feel the tranny trying to let go i dont know want to do i refuse to buy a brand new suv

Hey wow97, did you ever get the codes read?

nope i have a pocket scanner obd 2 i plug my scan tool no code pop up im know i think about it i think i need to change the automatic transmission valve body gasket i told my dad that the problem only bought me the filter i was so mad at my dad i only change the filter when i drop the pan down it was clean and dry but the filter did it job problem is to find automatic transmission valve body gasket

When the OD light flashes there is a code stored in the computer, you need a good scanner to read transmission codes.

Just pulled the EPC from my 96EX. What's with the "red band"? Is that an upgrade or OEM marking? Mine has no band.

Just pulled the EPC from my 96EX. What's with the "red band"? Is that an upgrade or OEM marking? Mine has no band.

I am not sure, but I think the green band is for a 4R, and a red band is for a 5R. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm this.

I am not sure, but I think the green band is for a 4R, and a red band is for a 5R. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm this.
You are correct. The only exception to this rule is the new EPC solenoid from Borg Warner that could be used on both transmissions. It has no band.

You need a scanner which is capable of reading manufacturer specific transmission codes. Cheap code readers can't do this.

Autel MaxiDiag US703. $150 shipped from Amazon. Does everything multi-thousand dollar Ford factory computers do. Actually, even after coughing up thousands, you still can't be guaranteed it will read manufacturer specific codes like ABS & air bag. I can't say enough about the thing. Any other scanner, cheaper or more expensive, is a joke.

I just drove through a deep puddle and got the P1747 EPC Solenoid Short Circuit code. I have a manual and I just had the EPC connected so I could drive. Does anyone know what kind of "output" the EPC sends to the comp? Is it a resistance or a voltage? It would be great to trick the comp with a resistor instead of buying a $100+ EPC Solenoid that isn't really being used.

The EPC is pulse width modulated by the PCM. The PCM electronically regulates pressure through it. Take a look at the chart in Glacier991's photo gallery:
Outlook1.jpg

Hey Bones, if you got a code after driving through a puddle could you have gotten some water in the wiring harness plug? Might be worth checking and putting some dielectric grease on the plug pins.

Autel MaxiDiag US703. $150 shipped from Amazon. Does everything multi-thousand dollar Ford factory computers do. Actually, even after coughing up thousands, you still can't be guaranteed it will read manufacturer specific codes like ABS & air bag. I can't say enough about the thing. Any other scanner, cheaper or more expensive, is a joke.

Sorry about bringing this up from the dead, but if you think that rinky dink scanner is even close to as good as a Ford scanner, then you have clearly never used one. I have used all kinds of scanners and in my experience the Ford scanner is the best with the snap on in second. You get what you pay for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry about bringing this up from the dead, but if you think that rinky dink scanner is even close to as good as a Ford scanner, then you have clearly never used one. I have used all kinds of scanners and in my experience the Ford scanner is the best with the snap on in second. You get what you pay for.

Can you confirm that the Snap-On reads ALL of Ford's ABS and Air-Bag codes?

Please post the prices of both the Ford and Snap-On scanners.

I stand behind my post.

Back