Finding and bypassing the amp on a 93 explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finding and bypassing the amp on a 93 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But... 17 watts per channel is really pretty soft. Old school HU's were 25watt minimum, and 35 was pretty typical. Well, today it doesn't matter so much because everybody is adding amps and subwoofers. So the HU makers now can get away with cheaper internal amps.

You are talking apples and oranges here. The 25 and 35 you are quoting is peak power, not rms. If you want to talk peak power, my headunit is 200 watts (50x4), but that is not a realistic number.

The new HU will be distorted with the stock amp at mid to higher volume. Bypass it by all means.

Option #2...You can run new speaker wires as well and forget about bypassing all together.

When I bought my newest explorer, it came with new wires ran from the headunit to the speakers. I removed these.

I only recommend using the stock amp if you are using the stock premium speakers. If you have aftermarket speakers then by all means bypass the amp, but you will still need to add an amp in the system for them to sound decent. I listen to my music at extremely high volume (hence the need for two 12" subs and a 1200 watt amp) and the stock premium door speakers connected to the stock amp do not start clipping until past the point at which I cannot hear the noise coming from the person sitting next to me trying to talk/yell to me.

if you are using the stock premium speakers
I have never seen a 1st gen with these speakers still working. And I looked at a lot.

Any one know of any amps that will fit in the stock location?

I would love to remove my after market one and replace it with one I can fit back there need at lest a 3 channel but would love a 5 channel better or one 4 channel and one sub amp thanks and do not mean to high jack but thought I would ask it here for a fast response possibly.

Now the panel removal is not hard I had no directions or even saw one done but jumped in and just worked slow and careful and got it done in no time. Did remove the stock amp and ran all new wires for my HU and speakers and sub. The sub is in an old QLogic box were the JBL would be in the side panel. MTX I believe also makes a sub set up for the same area. I also believe you can get threes with an amp also already attached to.

Ya and I am an old fart also roadrunner LOL. Got to have it load to get past the bad hearing LMAO.

you should try using the stock amp for the door speakers first before tearing the plastic apart bc we all know its a b**** to do and if your not gonna be entering some sort of sound comp the stock amp does fine or at least it does for me.ive had an aftermarket hu and speakers in the truck for over 12 years on that factory amp no problems. its worth a try vs trying to pry and move 17 yr old+ interior plastic

i'm wondering if mine has been changed, i have a sony xplod that came with my ex when i bought it. I know it isnt the stock deck but i have always just assumed the speakers were part of a premium package, although i havent known this for sure i guess. My door speakers hit hella hard, for door speakers.
But my main concern, is that my amp is on the backboard of the back seat, (thats free from the backseat but is on a springed hinge) you cannot see a single wire, and it is never in the way of anything. I have always assumed this was the stock amp, but i guess it has been moved ?????

vs trying to pry and move 17 yr old+ interior plastic
Have you tried? It's not hard. I don't understand why there's so much of an issue doing it for some.
my amp is on the backboard of the back seat
That's not stock.

It's not a huge challenge, I don't mean it to sound that way. But, every one of my plastic carrot connectors snapped off (I was prying gently from beneath, I know how to do these connectors) and all of the screws were rusted into the chassis. You take off all the stuff described, put your left shoulder into the inside of the plastic, lean into it and it will bend to show the amp. Get the connectors off, which is easier once you know how they unclip, and replace it with the adapter. I guess I had bad luck on mine, I ended up looking like I broke up a cat fight from the scratches. If others have an easier time, good on you!

Any one know of any amps that will fit in the stock location?

I would love to remove my after market one and replace it with one I can fit back there need at lest a 3 channel but would love a 5 channel better or one 4 channel and one sub amp thanks and do not mean to high jack but thought I would ask it here for a fast response possibly.

What i recomend since ive looked at mine is remove the plastic pocket thats near the amp and put a piece of flat wood in its place so a larger amp can fit into that space.

Back to the original topic here......

Joedirt has a good how to thread with pics on getting to the amp and also shows how to install a sub enclosure that can hold an amp....if you want one.

This thread is informative and shows what you need to do, to accomplish what you asked.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292595&highlight=enclosure

Search feature will result in answers. Once you learn how to use it, life becomes easier figuring out your EX. :)

Thansk all i got my stereo today and after a few hours i just took the storage peice on the side of reached my hand in and unplugged the amp it was alot easier thean i tohnught.The new problem i ran in is something is wrong with my plug the speakers go on and aff and ik its the plug. My new question is do you guys think i should cut the plug on the harness and other part and just solder them together?....Also i can't find the tools to get the radio back out of the dash so any ideas its a pioneer DEH 3300 if i go to a car store you think they just pull it out for me?

Have you tried? It's not hard. I don't understand why there's so much of an issue doing it for some.

That's not stock.

well mine has always been a fl truck and after 17 years of heat cycles sitting in the sun despite using armoral ever wash the plastic doesnt bend like it used to. i have a jvc headunit stock amp with infinity loud speakers and a separate amp and sub and i can wake up the neighbors if i feel like it. so i just think if its not broke dont fix it. but that just me.

You need to bypass the factory amp because the radio that comes stock with your explorer puts out too low of a signal. basically, the stock radio puts out a very low signal, which that amp will boost and output to the speakers. the signal from your new radio wont be able to be heard by that amp anyways.

the amp its self is actually 2 plugs, top and bottom on the rear passenger side cargo area. people tell you to pull the whole thing out to get to it, but really, you don't have to go that far, just pull out your cargo net back there and you can reach up and pull the plugs.

I recommend just doing what I did and running new wire from the deck to the area your speakers are in (be it in the doors still or what) this will save you a bypass plug and get you far better sound quality. for my truck, I got a piece of wood and cut 2 6x9 holes in it and put it across the back seat (bolted to the seat) put my amp under the back seat on the pass. side and my sub box facing back into the cargo area form cut to rest on the wheel humps so it wont move.

2011-02-09124112.jpg

I own a 91 sport. I went to the junk yard and picked up a 4 door sub/amp set up that bolts right in. The only thing I had to do was add a constant 12v supply for the sub amp. And carve out an 8" hole for the JL audio sub that squeezed in the factory enclosure. I dont use this set up anymore. I upgraded to 2 punch amps a capacitor and two 10's.
I have to load more pictures into photobucket to show you my new set up. Your gonna dig it.

2011-02-09124126.jpg

Alright now Ive got a new shot of a partially completed system
2011-07-03145104.jpg

I have 2 punch amps, one that you can see, and the other is hidden behind the passenger rear speaker.
2011-04-30133040.jpg

I used the factory wiring for almost everything. The harness that goes to the amp and back out to the speakers is hooked to the high end input on my four channel amp.
2011-04-29085731.jpg

It may not be a million watts but it beats hard enough to keep eyes vibrating.

When I bought my Explorer, the previous owner said he tried like crazy to get the stock amp working with his headunit.

I didn't even try... I ran new/good wire from the HU to all the doors and used aftermarket speakers. 2 hours, no hassle, no adapters questions or confusions. Bang done. :)

Anyone have a link or pic of the amp bypass harness? Read on an old thread that PAC audio made one, I dont see it on their website. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks gman! I am too ashamed to post in the what have you have done to your Ex... It has been a few weeks since I have been able to do anything on it.

Back