Finding and bypassing the amp on a 93 explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finding and bypassing the amp on a 93 explorer

I found it easier to just bypass the amp with new speaker wires from the deck. Larger speaker wire will help your sound quality anyway. the amp you seek is located on the rear passenger side kick panel. actually, if you pull your cargo hole out of the panel you can reach in and unplug it. to bypass the amp without a harness, i just unplugged the amp, and wired larger gauge speaker wire from the deck, into the plug that goes into the speakers from the amp. this netted me little signal loss and decent sound quality. I ran the speaker wires under the center console which I already had out to replace a bad seat belt buckle. you can reach right through that cargo hole and unplug it, and than you can pop the top of your panel off and stuff the plug up through so you can work on it. than, once all your new wires are crimped, stuff it back in and reseal the panel. just be careful not to break a ton of clips when removing the panels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It all depends on the size of wire your using mate. Thinner wire is what I would recommend for smaller speakers. The treble, higher notes, tend to travel on the outside of the wire and at a faster pace than bass, low notes, travel. Bass notes travel towards the center of the wire therefore I would recommend larger wire.

You are correct about the factory amp. It is easier to just reach in and unplug it, compared to pulling the whole panel, those are a PITA to deal with if you ask me due to their rather large size.

i have a 92 xlt 4dr when i went to install my head unit that i used in all my old vehicles straight to the wires coming out of the dash i got no sound at all from any of my speakers mean time i just straight wired my from speakers from the head unit to the speakers. my head unit is a pioneer 6400 i think its a 2004 model but i love that deck.

I know this is an old post but I wanted to know how I get to the amp and now I know to get there now I need to know how to see if the amp is bad. I purchased a 1993 Explorer Sport for just about nothing. The exterior is nice but the interior was pulled apart. The doors panels were off, the door speaker, window regulators and power door locks were removed. It also didn't have a radio. I just put in a original recondition Ford radio, I put front speakers but at full volume you can kind-of hear it and it's muffled and has static. I have an old Blaupunkt amp from the 80s I think works and my try that tomorrow. But is there an easier way to see if the original JBL amp is working?

Also, just to show the location better, here's where the factory amp is located.
IMG_1275.jpg
Pic was from when I "cleaned" the interior several years back!

Back