Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Fire Extinguisher Mount

Discussion in 'Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc.' started by RockRanger, August 1, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Fresno CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    86 ranger no more
    Callsign:
    KK6TDL
    A few months back I started playing with the free version of Google Sketchup. One of the things I drew was this fire extinguisher mount based on some I saw online. It is pretty basic mainly cause I was not sure how well everything would work and did not want to spend a ton of time on something that might not work. Here is what I came up with.

[​IMG]

I knew Brian1 from this site had a CNC Plasma Table. So after a few emails back in forth I was able to create a .dxf file that he could use to create the parts. One of the things is that the free version of sketchup does not let you export as .dxf. I found a plugin online that allows you to export as .dxf. Here is a screen shot of what I sent him.

[​IMG]

A few days later a USPS flat rate box shows up with these in it.

[​IMG]

I originally was just going to use a pin but decided to order a bling pull pin from Mcmaster carr.

[​IMG]

After welding them up this is what I came up with. My welding location is currently in a highly flammable mountain area so I plan on doing the finish grinding elsewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the things I discovered. Allowing 1/16" of slop between parts was to much. 1/32 or a bit less would have been better. I also miss having my welding table and garage with all my tools in it. A tailgate and no clamps or magnets suck. Looking at the parts now I probably would have made the base bigger so it would be easier to mount on a flat surface. The knob version of the pull would probably be better then the T that I bought. Overall I am happy with it and want to give a huge thanks to Brian1 for cutting the parts for me.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    1991 XLT
    Callsign:
    KG5BAQ
    Cool! Glad I could help. Have you mounted the extinguisher to it yet?

Those quick release brackets are pretty neat. I made a few up myself a few years back after seeing one at Off Road Expo. Back then I had to cut them by hand which took alot of time.

Part number of the pin you used please? I have looked at those but never found one that I thought would work with the right dimensions.

4. DB_1

DB_1 Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
    La Quinta, Ca.
    97 SC Ranger xlt
    Good stuff Matt (and Brian:D) I need to get some extinguishers mounted in the Ranger now that I have something to mount it to.

Here's the pins I bought for my mudflap brackets if that helps Brian...looks to be about the same as Matt's except I got the ball ended one's. I just bought the cheapest, smallest ones i could find.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pins/=dfqcf6

5. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..Where are you going to mount this?

...Pics of it mounted when you take them please..:popcorn:

6. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Fresno CA
    86 ranger no more
    Callsign:
    KK6TDL
    Part Number 90222A503 If I did it again I would probably use part number 90222A415 The locking feature is kind of nice but I am not sure if it is really needed. Plus without it you save $5. I only welded up one of the two I had cut. I want to see how it works out.

I just welded it today and you sent them to me what 2-3 months ago? With the speed I work on stuff between working out of town and a 4 month old who knows when I will get it mounted up. Not even sure where I will put it for that matter.

We Support Our Troops!