First experience with road force balancing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First experience with road force balancing

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
Since I bought my 2010 Mountaineer in November it has had a vibration issue above 60 mph. Initially I thought it was the worn tires it had on it and replaced them with new Coopers. I have the 20" oem rims so the tires are fairly low profile for a stock 4th gen. After the tire installation I still had a problem with vibration above 60 mph although it was less severe. There was also a little shimmy in the steering wheel on occasion. I went through all the typical checks on items that would cause this and found nothing that stood out. Then I started looking into road force balancing as a possible solution.

I had this done today and the test ride home left me gobsmacked. Every bit of vibration was completely gone. Not a trace of the issues I had before remained. I took it up to 85 mph and there was not one spec of vibration. The reason I am posting this is for people who are having a similar issue. The cost was $110 out the door including tax. A little expensive for balancing but far better than the local Ford dealer's price quote of $225. It might be the best bang for the buck I have spent to solve a vehicle issue considering the results. I think the lower profile tires might benefit more from this method than the typical higher profile tires. All my tires zeroed out and had perfect balance so maybe this helped too. This worked so well that I am taking my Mustang there next week for the same procedure.

Back