First Gen Sway Bar End Links

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the ball joints? Loose steering box? Wheel bearings torqued properly?

Try to spend your money on the right things :)

I replaced the ball joints in July. I did notice the "pop" sound when I first installed the spacers and shackles w/ my 31's. After the alignment it was quiet for a week and then started again. It only happens at low speed turns and not all the time.

Maybe double check the shackles and spacers. Even a couple thousands play can make a big noise in the cabin.

If you got Energy Suspension bushings with your sway bar kit, they are about as good as you can get, so it's pretty doubtful they would be bad already.

I didn't need spacers or shackles for my 31's :p ;)

I've triple checked them. I don't think it's the sway bar bushings, but the link bushings. I never got new bushings for those.

huskyfan23 said:
I replaced the ball joints in July. I did notice the "pop" sound when I first installed the spacers and shackles w/ my 31's. After the alignment it was quiet for a week and then started again. It only happens at low speed turns and not all the time.

since you noticed it after putting the spacer on I would check and make sure that the top radius arm to axle stud is tight,you may have loosened it up when you removed the nut off the top to put the spacer on, this would involve removing your spring and spacer.

Well the radius arm bushings got replaced a few months after the install, and there was no sound for a week, then it started again. I'm guessing something loosened up, but the RA bolts are tight.

When you took your spring out to put the spacer in you removed a nut on a stud, if that stud came loose when you remove the nut on top of it it will give you a cluncking sound when turning and braking it will be more pronounced when you have it in 4WD starting and stopping.

I've gone back and tried to tighten it with a break only to find it's on there TIGHT, I also used red loctite when I put it back in.

I think I know what the problem is. I had a loose bolt on the passenger-side radius arm. The lower bolt. After pulling that out I saw the RA has rounded substantially, so it's shifting around. Does that sound like something that would cause my occassional clunks?

Back