1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

First Start of the Day, won't go into gear

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by wormfishin, December 29, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wormfishin

wormfishin New Member

City, State:
      Acworth, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 XLT
      I've got a '97 XLT automatic explorer, I park on a hill at my house, and recently(since it's gotten cold) when I leave in the morning and put it in reverse it doesn't actually go into reverse, I just roll down the hill. Then when I go to put it in drive it doesn't do anything either, it stays in neutral(at least I think it does) for about 15-20 seconds before it will acutally go into gear. It only does this the first time I start it. The gear shift moves fine, the tranny just doesn't react. I had it in for an oil change/brake job last week and asked them to check it, they told me the tranny fluid was a little burnt. Any ideas what the problem could be? I was planning on taking it back this week for a tranny flush, but I didn't have time last week. Should I do that?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      86-98 Ranger STX
      Sounds an awful lot like your low/reverse actuator isn't moving... They are easy to repair - just a new seal - drop the pan, look for the big 4 bolted cover near the rear edge - drop that cover (not the entire valve body) and replace the seal on the servo. Stick it back in there, change the oil and filter while you are at it - and go back to driving.

Check out Glacier's thread on the A4LD and Brian's thread on the 5R55E (what you have) for pics.