How to: - Fix Broken Shock Mount (1st Gen) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Fix Broken Shock Mount (1st Gen)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Dizmone

Reaction score
City, State
Independence, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
Well, I recently experienced a mishap when installing new shocks. I broke the stud off of the shock mount. :mad:

Anyways, I used my handy search button like a mad man, and while I did find sufficient info on what I needed and what to do, I didn't really find any decent pictures. So I took it upon myself to go ahead and snap a few photos as I fixed my X. Heres my story and How-to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I decided to get some new shocks for the X since it still had the 14 year old originals with 113k miles. Not a big deal, just a quick one, maybe two, hour job. WRONG!

Starting with the front right shock, I started to remove the lower shock mount nut and SNAP! I'm left with a broken stud.

dscn0422yh5.jpg

dscn0423sg9.jpg

So I begin the long process of fixing this problem . . .

First I went to NAPA where they sold a replacement stud for only $3.70. Heck yes! I bought two assuming the driver's side will do the same thing. Grand total comes to $7.96. The part # is P-19 on the reciept, but the sticker says P00019. Either way just use the pic below as a reference.

dscn0434jt3.jpg

*Note:

-The mount requires a 5/8" hole to be drilled out of the radius arm.

-The integrated nut in the center needs a 22mm wrench/socket.

-The nut on the left, that goes behind the radius arm, needs a 15/16" wrench/socket

-The small nut on the right that secures the shock needs a 18mm wrench/socket.

(I didn't have a 22mm wrench or a long socket. I also didn't own a 15/16" wrench and there wasn't enough room to fit a socket behind the radius arm, so I opted to the nice universal vise grips and channel-lock pliers.)

I started by grinding off the rest of the stud, then grinding the remains as flush as I could with the rest of the radius arm. I considered just trying to pound the rest of the stud head out of the arm, but after observing the amount of rust everywhere, I pretty much told myself the head was one with the arm and didn't exit anymore.

dscn0424yv5.jpg

dscn0425pe2.jpg

I then drilled a small pilot as close to center as possible.

dscn0426dh2.jpg

Perfect Aim!

dscn0427bl7.jpg

I then worked my way up to a 5/8" drill bit. Its obviously best to start small and use a slightly bigger bit until you reach 5/8", instead of starting with a massive bit.

dscn0428cr8.jpg

Then I hit another road block. Finding a 5/8" drill bit with a 3/8" shank for my drill. I needed the hole to be at 5/8" to fit the new stud, so I thought it was no big deal to just go pick one up.

Everywhere I looked, there was only a 5/8" bit with a 1/2" shank. After more than an hour hunt, I thought I was gonna have to dish out $30 for a new chuck, but at last, I found one at Sears. $21.51 for one bit, ugh.

So I got the final hole made, applied some ThreadLocker ($5.05) around the hole and on the mount threads and installed the new mount. (Note: The 15/16" nut has its own built-in thread lock so buying the liquid is optional. I just wanted to make sure it was the last time I ever have to mess with it.)

dscn0429bb0.jpg

dscn0430is5.jpg

Lastly, I got the shock installed, and sprayed some rust converter along with some clear coat to hopefully stop any new rust from forming, especially on the new stud.

The finished product . . .

dscn0432zt6.jpg

dscn0431bc0.jpg

Welp, one shock down, three more to go. I went ahead and bought two replacement bolts for the rear lower shock mounts just in case they snap. At least if the rears bolts do break, I can just slide out the old bolt and put a new one in. Here's hoping the driver's side won't snap, but I'm banking on repeating the process I just shared with you. The project put me out $34.52 and a handful of hours between working and searching.

I hope this helps anyone who runs into this unfortunate event. I have a feeling this How-to will come in handy with the first gens getting older and more ran down.

Good luck,
Damone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is indeed a very nice write up :thumbsup::thumbsup: I know from experience it can be a pain to work on a vehicle and take pics along the way, but you have done an excellent job!

Another Replacement Option for Broken Stud

Here is how to replace the broken lower shock mount stud (on radius arm) cheap and easy.

Get "Help" part 31001 (Shock Bolt Kit) for $4.99 at Autozone or Pep Boys.
Grind off either the inside or outside of broken stud
Drive out the stud through the radius arm with hammer and punch
Install new part (You can throw away the rubber bushings it includes).

Drive away!

Here is a link to the part....

http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP332...partType,00854/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Just out of curiosity, shouldn't you have maybe spray painted the bare metal so it won't rust before installing the new mount? I know that it's pretty thick, but I would think better safe then sorry...

Otherwise, great writeup, I'll be doing my shocks soon after the lowering.

Here is how to replace the broken lower shock mount stud (on radius arm) cheap and easy.

Get "Help" part 31001 (Shock Bolt Kit) for $4.99 at Autozone or Pep Boys.
Grind off either the inside or outside of broken stud
Drive out the stud through the radius arm with hammer and punch
Install new part (You can throw away the rubber bushings it includes).

Drive away!

Here is a link to the part....

http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP332...partType,00854/shopping/partProductDetail.htm
Used your information to replace my two broken shock studs. Saved me a great deal of time and $! Thanks

Back