Fix for A/C Blowing Through Defroster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fix for A/C Blowing Through Defroster

TexasArmadillo

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pearland, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Limited
Please refer to this post for a little more background and a simple fix for this problem. A/C only blows thru Defroster Vents

My problem with this started a couple of weeks ago. I was driving with my wife and we heard a loud pop. The best way to describe this would be the sound you hear when your tires throw a rock into the wheel well. After we stopped I looked everything over and didn't notice any problems. However, when I started the truck up the A/C was blowing out of the defroster and would not switch to center vents. I then found the above thread and employed the wood dow fix. This worked great for while, but earlier this week I noticed that I could not get the vents to switch like I did before. This lead me to my fix.

First I disassembled my dash per these instructions (Console Disassemble) If you look below you will see the aftermath of this. I then separated the A/C module from the console bezel. This was so that I could test out my changes. After tinkering a little I started to isolate the problem.
DSCF0940_zps1d6b2052.jpg

I played with the diverting door pictured below. I saw that there seem to be a catch when I tried to manually manipulate the door. This got me thinking how did the door operate before the malfunction.

DSCF0941_zps97281735.jpg

This lead me to the side of the plastic housing for the door. I noticed that there was a knob on the glove box side of the housing that had some plastic damage. I played with the positioning switch and saw a silver arm move in and out. the arm was laying sideways and had a hard time moving. I examined the plastic piece and saw that there was a small channel in it. The arm fit perfectly in the channel. This is when I put everything together. I posted a picture of this ear below. I apologize for the poor quality of the picture. I also took a video of it moving in and out. Once again sorry for the poor quality of the video. Also, the video is 90 degrees off. When you actually look at the arm it is moving on a horizontal plane not a vertical one.

DSCF0943_zpsdbd70c8e.jpg

Video of Arm Movement

Now to the fix. I will apologize once again for not taking any picture after the fix. I will go back an try and get a good picture of the fix. First I dropped the glove box down. Then I drilled a hole in the plastic ear that remained from the broken plastic knob. From there I simply threaded a plastic wire tie through the plastic ear and metal arm. The metal arm already has a hole in it. I had to trim a little of the plastic ear so that the arm could move freely. After testing I reassembled everything. Problem fixed.

Did the fix require you to pull the console, or was that only for your investigation? Can you reach the broken arm from the dropped glove box?

Thanks, Jason

Jason, did you ever get clarivication on if this can be done through the glove box?

You do not need to disassemble the bezel. All you need to do is drop the glove box (don’t take it out just let it hang it doesn’t have to come all the way off). You’ll see that little metal arm from the OP’s original post. You just need to drill a hole the size of a zip tie in the remaining piece of plastic that didn’t break. Then run the zip tie through the hole you just drilled and the hole on the metal arm and tighten. Then run through the functions to make sure it’s working properly. It’s a plastic zip tie so I’m sure it’ll break at some point but now that I know how it works it’ll take me all of 5 minutes to replace it when the zip tie goes.

8C987438-C059-4229-AA2F-076FFF748714.jpeg

Back