Fixing MFT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixing MFT

Well, I have to agree with you Tom that it was a waste of your day. And I too am convinced the dealerships have no idea what to do with the issues we all are having with the MFT system. But, this is because Ford has failed to address the issues with the system in a timely fashion. It has been over 10 months since the vehicle was released and complaints started popping up. But logic would suggest that they would do everything possible to fix this ASAP because of the bad press if nothing else. But, they (Ford) stay silent and pretend there isn't an issue.

The issue with dealers lying about what they do to the system (i.e. your dealer saying they installed an upgrade when all they did was reinstall the same version) or their inability to speak intelligently on the subject is inexcusable. When you spend $45k on the vehicle and the radio/nav doesn't work, it is embarrassing.

I understand the IVT is making an honest attempt to help consumers and owners of the X here, but the problem starts with Ford taking accountability for the mess they have created. But, they won't and I'll continue to own a vehicle that has incredible potential, but because of the following issues it won't until Ford "ponies up" and takes responsibility for this mess and fixes it!

1) MFT - do I really need to say any more
2) A-Pillar rattle at speeds above 35MPH. I mentioned this at the dealer and the service rep said and I quote "What's wrong with your B-Pillar? I haven't heard of an A-pillar before". Seriously Ford??? Maybe you have a problem when your service reps know less about the problems with the vehicle then my 3 year old son.
3) Rain drum - Since it's only rained twice in the last 4 months in Houston, this hasn't been a big problem.
4) Horrible service at two separate dealerships because of two reasons - poor communication and complete inability to speak to any of the issues I've had with the vehicle by the service team.

This might sting a little Ford, but the truth always does. But, losing a customer might be the only recourse I have at this point, and that is sad that the company has let it get to this point with so many of it's loyal buyers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Falkirk, have you forward your information to Cory, so he can escalate the dealer issues you are having? Your right, Ford needs to get on the wagon, and get things solved quickly, I do understand testing, all issues takes time, but at least let your Ford customers know what's going on, right?

I just noticed on syncmyride that there is a history page. Via this I can confirm that all that happened was a reinstall of the same exact version - 2.11. I've only driven it home from the dealer so far, but can already noticed that it didn't fix two of my issues -- No great surprise there since all he did was reinstall the same version. So zero of the things that I brought it in for are resolved.:thumbdwn:

4) Horrible service at two separate dealerships because of two reasons - poor communication and complete inability to speak to any of the issues I've had with the vehicle by the service team.

Hey falkirk! I'm in Spring here and was wondering what two dealerships you dealt with? I have a friend looking to purchase, he lives in Cypress also, and he is trying to find a decent dealership to work with.

We are also looking to purchase in the future, but are thinking of waiting until MY 2013 at this point with the niggling problems that the Ex still has, and would appreciate a heads up on who's OK to work with.

Thanks.

So my 2011 xlt is in the shop for the 2nd time to fix the MFT system. I was originally told by the service manager that they were going to order and replace the APIM module. Well once the vehicle got there, I was told that they hadn't ordered it, but that there was a new update after the 2.11 that they want to try. Looked on the syncmyride site and so far it just shows 2.11.

I'm in a loaner now, when I pick it up I will not leave the dealership unless the MFT is working. I'm getting tired of being lied to and their inability to fix anything. Also they have no idea how to fix the streaky windows.

Hey falkirk! I'm in Spring here and was wondering what two dealerships you dealt with? I have a friend looking to purchase, he lives in Cypress also, and he is trying to find a decent dealership to work with.

We are also looking to purchase in the future, but are thinking of waiting until MY 2013 at this point with the niggling problems that the Ex still has, and would appreciate a heads up on who's OK to work with.

Thanks.

Tell your friend to wait for 2013MY

2013MY build cycle starts in December/January so it's only a couple months.

I know this because the 2013 Police Interceptor Utility and Sedan start production December/January in the Chicago Assembly Plant

So just got off the phone with the dealership. Now it's not a new version, it's that sometimes they are finding that the upgrade doesn't take well, and they sometimes have to do it over again. We'll see

So just got off the phone with the dealership. Now it's not a new version, it's that sometimes they are finding that the upgrade doesn't take well, and they sometimes have to do it over again. We'll see

I would not hold much hope for this. I don't know what is going on, but my history shows that they installed it 4 times yesterday. I noticed two problems on the same day. Today, I put three more issues in my log. This system is just plain not working. I think that Ford owes us an official response and timeline on when they are going to fix this.

...I think that Ford owes us an official response and timeline on when they are going to fix this.

I would agree with that statement. Only thing we can do as a group is go to the press somehow and give them bad publicity if they don't....hit them in the pocketbook. I just want it fixed, I didn't pay for this kind of nonsense and the "we are working on improving it" statements. I appreciate the support people here but they are not giving us a fix date!

I would agree with that statement. Only thing we can do as a group is go to the press somehow and give them bad publicity if they don't....hit them in the pocketbook. I just want it fixed, I didn't pay for this kind of nonsense and the "we are working on improving it" statements. I appreciate the support people here but they are not giving us a fix date!

I think Mulally already got in front of this by stating it was a priority issue. They don't want to have to deal with expectations and not meet them. Unfortunately, if they are:

1) Upgrading the base MS system
2) Moving off Flash to Silverlight
3) Dealing with bugs and Apple API issues

it is probably going to be difficult to provide an exact "gold" date for a new release. Those are major fixes (and would be well worth it and speed up the system considerably), but the QA that will go along with changes that are that extensive, will be considerable.

The only thing you can count on that Mulally wouldn't want the embarrassment of this not being dealt when he has made the commitment to fix it.

thank you

im not sure why that would be preferred but perhaps it was before the customers actually experienced some of the start up lag that mft has now.

I beleive most owners on this forum would probably prefer it to recognize the remote start power mode.

+1 !

I think Mulally already got in front of this by stating it was a priority issue. They don't want to have to deal with expectations and not meet them. Unfortunately, if they are:

1) Upgrading the base MS system
2) Moving off Flash to Silverlight
3) Dealing with bugs and Apple API issues

it is probably going to be difficult to provide an exact "gold" date for a new release. Those are major fixes (and would be well worth it and speed up the system considerably), but the QA that will go along with changes that are that extensive, will be considerable.

The only thing you can count on that Mulally wouldn't want the embarrassment of this not being dealt when he has made the commitment to fix it.

I hadn't noticed the statements from Mr. Mulally on MFT. I appreciate his honesty in his statements. What I would really appreciate is a direct statement to customers that are living with this describing what is being done, in detail, to fix the issues. I know that it can be difficult to give an exact date. A general time frame would be nice. Even if they feel that is to risky, I think that they must at least provide more detail on what the fix they are working on is. (Replaced CPU with greater power, Moving the interface to a faster software framework, better QC, beta testing, whatever it is) Besides being honest, good communication is the best way to work through a problem in business. It seems that all I have read is the kind of, "I know a guy on the inside who said..." I am not saying that information in wrong, but it is also hard to believe that second-hand information.

As frustrated as people are, myself included, I think that a lot of folks would calm down a little bit if we got this kind of direct information.

I hadn't noticed the statements from Mr. Mulally on MFT. I appreciate his honesty in his statements. What I would really appreciate is a direct statement to customers that are living with this describing what is being done, in detail, to fix the issues. I know that it can be difficult to give an exact date. A general time frame would be nice. Even if they feel that is to risky, I think that they must at least provide more detail on what the fix they are working on is. (Replaced CPU with greater power, Moving the interface to a faster software framework, better QC, beta testing, whatever it is) Besides being honest, good communication is the best way to work through a problem in business. It seems that all I have read is the kind of, "I know a guy on the inside who said..." I am not saying that information in wrong, but it is also hard to believe that second-hand information.

As frustrated as people are, myself included, I think that a lot of folks would calm down a little bit if we got this kind of direct information.

Absolutely agree with you. I said the same thing weeks ago, the current Corporate communication strategy is very poor.

For example; we learned about the release date for v2.11 from a Forum member who had his vehicle updated and not the very people on this forum who are attempting to improve that communication.

Be honest and your customers will remain loyal, be guarded and silent and your customers get frustrated and leave.

The Corporate "Fix" to this MFT issue could be the tipping point for many current and future Ford customers.

absolutely agree with you. I said the same thing weeks ago, the current corporate communication strategy is very poor.

For example; we learned about the release date for v2.11 from a forum member who had his vehicle updated and not the very people on this forum who are attempting to improve that communication.

Be honest and your customers will remain loyal, be guarded and silent and your customers get frustrated and leave.

The corporate "fix" to this mft issue could be the tipping point for many current and future ford customers.

+++++1

Here is my latest log since taking it to the dealership on 9/26...

9/26/11
  • Took car into dealer and gave them my list above.
  • They said that there has been other customers complaining about flapping noise, but they can't fix it because Ford doesn't have a fix for it.
  • They said that there is also no fix for the excessive rain noise and that all of the Explorers on the lot are the same way
  • They said that their MFT guy put on a new version of the software and that it would fix 99% of my problems. They also said that I had too many songs and should not have more than 250 songs.
  • Upon looking up the version installed, they did not put a new version of MFT on my vehicle. They reinstalled the exact same version. So, I had to re-pair my phone. That was not a big deal. However, I had to reset all of my options. That took a while
  • I only drove the car back from the dealership today, but I already see that it hasn't fixed two of my problems.
  • My phone will connect streaming audio, but as soon as I switch to it, it will disconnect. I should note that this did work on the ride back from the dealer, but noticed this when I went I restarted the car in my garage.
  • My USB still says indexing all the time.

9/27/11
  • My USB wont play. The display indicates that the song is playing, but not sound is heard. Tried going back to radio and then back to USB. It didn't help.
  • When going from reverse to drive, the display stopped showing the camera, but did show the warning message like it does when the camera is displayed
  • When I got home for lunch, I turned my car off and opened the door. Normally, the radio would shut off at this point. However, it did not. I was concerned about leaving the radio on so I cycled to acc and then to on and then to off. The radio still did not turn off. I tried the power switch and it wouldn't turn off. I restarted the car and turned it off. It did not go off. However, about 20 seconds later it did.
  • I cannot get my AM620 station to tune in HD.
  • Going back to work, I am now getting a navigation fault. Tried reinserting the SD card, but that didn't help. Tried restarting car after I got to where I was going. This didn't help either.
  • On the way back home, got a safety message via voice. USB started working and Nav started working.

9/28/11

• Decided to give my bluetooth streaming a try again. I pressed the bluetooth source. It display a small windows-type dialog box. I think there was an error message, but I could not read it as it diappeared quickly. The system then immediately rebooted. BTW, it is really annoying that the reboot screen say that it is performing scheduled service. That is really condescending. We realize this is not scheduled -- It is because of a bug/crash.

Received call from dealer yesterday. Unable to flash to V2.11 as they are having computer issues. Don't know why they can't just get it from syncmyride..

On the streaky windows front, she said they will be ordering a new belt molding for the driver's side and see if that works. If so they will replace all.

Glad they are paying for the rental!!!

I agree also, if you have seen the Ford story on TV, ( don't remember the channel), this the exact quality issue/ and customer satisfaction that will place Ford in a tail spin, you think they would learn from past experiences.

Reboot for scheduled maintenance. Of course it is scheduled. The programmers knew it would crash, the system detected the crash and scheduled the reboot. The fact that the schedule was only set a few milliseconds before the reboot doesn't change the fact that it was scheduled... ;)

I agree though- it is rather annoying that they think we will believe it is some sort of system-wide, planned reboot.

Back