1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Flamethrower Exhaust

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by AllanC, December 25, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. AllanC

AllanC Active Member

City, State:
      North Vancouver B.C.
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 XLT
      Does anyone know how to properly install the "flamethrower" mod to a 1st gen explorer. I know it requires a spark plug mounted a couple inches from the exhaust tip and a coil and a switch but I was wondering how to wire it all up properly. If anyone else has done this to their ex please fill in or if anyone knows how to do it that would be awsome. The one thing that has me is the fuel injection , does it still send a small amount of unburnt gas or will i have to tinker and make it run richer? I think it would be a cool mod to burn rice rockets when they stop under my rear bumper at stop lights. Oh and my catalytic converter is like 4-5 years old so it's really not stoping the un-burnt gas anymore.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      i would seriously advise against doing it... there isnt a way to tinker to the degree you want with the fuel mixture as its computer controlled... also, canada has very strict vehicle laws, and i doubt thats legal..... canada actually has basically the same spec as us dot, and i know that wouldnt be legal here... you would have to run a seperate fuel injector and lines t oget it to work... really not worth it....

4. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      I'm with Jim on this one. You don't want to "tinker" with your motor to make it run rich. Especially enough to be lit. Unless of course you want ruin the motor you have. This is more of a trailer queen mod, and not a street friendly mod. Not to mention what could happen it something goes wrong. Like a computer problem making the truck run super rich and having a little more flame than you can handle.

5. metstalker

metstalker Active Member

City, State:
      Atl, Georgia
      94 Ford Explorer XLT
      come on guys let him do this, illegal or not some people run illegal air filters but i dont see any one stopping them from doing that. i think that if you run a cable from the battery to a toggle switch and then to a spark plug on the end of the exhaust you should get the rusult you want i would personally like to see this it would be bad ass

6. Oversquare

Oversquare Active Member

City, State:
      Wine Country
      '00 XLT 5.0 AWD
      For the fuel injected car, you'll need an additional pressurized fuel line, injectors, spark, and a good amount of experience to set it up correctly. I've done it on a fuel injected car, but it's a PITA.

If only you were working with a carburated setup....

-B

7. emon

emon Active Member

City, State:
      Queens, New York
      I walk. :-) ...'95 xlt
      Do it! Do it! Do it!

This is something you don't see everyday. Do it! Do it! Do it! :D:D:D

8. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Can you really put an illegal device that shoots flames out of the rear of a vehicle in the same basket as an air filter that simply doesn't have an expensive endorsment from the DOT? How many air filters have exploded, or set fire to a vehicle?

9. Ian's 91ex

Ian's 91ex B

City, State:
      Vernon, BC Canada
      I think it would be cool. The wire to a switch and to a plug would not work I would think you need a relay and a coil. Not sure about the fuel line thing, that's what I'm hearing you need. Sounds like a lot of work, not sure how I would feel about running a fuel line to my exaust, but if you could see how others have done it it would be cool. As for this being a trailer queen mod, I disagree. Don't get discouraged, someone on this board will flame everything you do. Especially if you are Canadian.

10. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
      In the olden days, when everything was legal, we used to tap the exhaust tip and install a glow plug, the type used in model plane engines.
      Wire a switch inline to the appropriate battery size,I think 6 volts.
      Braze a piece of metal pipe 1/4 inch and hook up a small type propane tank via plasitc tubing.
      Disclaimer: this is dangerous and I do not condone, nor recommend it :confused:

11. off-road97Xplor

off-road97Xplor Active Member

City, State:
      moscow,PA
      1997 Explorer XLT
    12. metstalker

metstalker Active Member

City, State:
      Atl, Georgia
      94 Ford Explorer XLT
      i dont know of any air filters that have exploded a car. but then again i havent heard of any flaming exhaust that have exploded a car either. all im saying is lets not have a double standard one standard will do just fine. if everything is set up correctly there should be minimal risk

13. JTX

JTX Well-Known Member

City, State:
      New Mexico
      94 xlt
      My friend has it on his camaro. Its a cool mod but when that thing back fires it really back fires. But yeah i say go for it! He hasnt had a single problem with it and he's at about 450hp.

14. huskyfan23

huskyfan23 Rah no Hans Bwix

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      Stupid idea. It's much easier on carb'd engines and requires lots more to get it working on an EFI.

15. AllanC

AllanC Active Member

City, State:
      North Vancouver B.C.
      1991 XLT
      the not so flame thrower

well i dont think i like the idea of running a pressurized fuel line to my exhaust , if it was as simple as some wire a coil a relay , a switch and a spark plug i would probably go ahead and do it. i guess that without the fuel line would produce no flame. so oh well maybe when i have more time on my hands. thanks for all your replys guys.
      Allan

16. SportlineXLT

SportlineXLT Member

City, State:
      Pittston Township, PA
      1994 Explorer XLT,BMW 325
      A guy on the BMW fourm did it....with EFI too...he actually installed a switch that cut the spark for a split second to cyl 6 and let that unburnt gas run through the exaust and ignite it at the tail. Let me find his video....

17. Interstate

Interstate Active Member

City, State:
      ABQ, Santa Fe
      2002 Sport
      I think there are kits out there that run off of propane or butane, or some other separate fuel, and just require some electrical hookups. Check around for them, they're out there. Seems kinda iffy though. I mean, flames, fuel, and cars usually don't mix well.

18. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      It's not a double standard. One is illegal, and poses no risk to anybody. One involves shooting a flame out of the back of your car, at risk to yourself, and your car,(which is fine), but also others anytime you set it off. Looking up some info reveals that most people just gut the cats(irresponsible, and stupid) and just burn whatever is leftover in the exhaust. Then there are the yahoo's who set up a way to make the motor run super rich for a few seconds. This is bad for the motor, the environment and is very uncontrolled. The wrong fuel/air mixture, and you stand to blow up the muffler, and some piping. I've seen exhausts explode, and it's not pretty. This can be done with no external fuel, or a coil, you just need a special type of plug, and the weld in bung for the piping. But don't expect some Fast and the Furious flames, because you will only be getting maybe a 6 inch flame in very short bursts. You could build the kit for under $75. I'd never set it off with anyone behind me unless you are looking to get killed.

19. NusenseSD

NusenseSD Active Member

City, State:
      Sandy Eggo, Cali
      2002 XLS Sport
      Thats fine but he had to remove the cat. The cat will burn any unburnt gas that passes thorugh it negating the fact you just dumped it through.. Thats what its supposed to do..

In order to do it on a efi equipt vehicle you would have to have the pressurized line after the cat so that the fuel doesn't get burnt..

Its easier to do on non-smog equipt vehicles than it is on vehicles that are smog equipt.

20. jeff96

jeff96 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, NC
      03 Ninja 636, 96 Ex Sport
      you don't have to do any of that shit, there is a kit out there for like 150 bucks. All it does is stop the motor from burning the fuel so the fuel is sent down the exhuast and is burnt coming out the muffler. You'll have no power to the car while your throwing a flame so basically you'll be in nuetral. I know those kits are popular with hot rods. They even installed the kit on a car on pimp my ride, but the manager of west coast customs came out and told them to take it off the car right then and there becuase they are illegal. They can shoot flames out almost 15 feet. Do it in traffic by accident and you'll either burn someone of there car.

21. JTX

JTX Well-Known Member

City, State:
      New Mexico
      94 xlt
      The one on my friens camaro shoots maybe a 1 foot flame. I dont belive it could shoot much further because the engine isnt runnng which would mean theres not much air flowing threw the exhaust.

22. Critical_Level2

Critical_Level2 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ridley Park, PA
      1999 XLS R.I.P.
      My neighbor has a 32 or 33 ford hotrod that shoots flames up to 12 feet. This was built as a show car so it is only really driven to and from car shows, only form late spring to early fall. The only time he uses it is at night at a show or cruisin nights, but he makes sure there are no people, other vehicles, etc. around. It is really cool loking, but it is very dangerous. He actually disconnects the igniter in the tailpipes whenever he drive to and from a show, just to make sure it does not ignite and shoot flames at anything or set the car on fire while driving down the road.

23. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      as stated previously, that will not work because the cat will not allow it....

24. jeff96

jeff96 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, NC
      03 Ninja 636, 96 Ex Sport
      i don't think the cat could stop that much fuel!! Guess all of us on here saying we've seen it are just lying to you... thats right its all in your imagination the magical cat can stop all.

25. off-road97Xplor

off-road97Xplor Active Member

City, State:
      moscow,PA
      1997 Explorer XLT
      I see an arguement coming on.......

26. BigBadWimp

BigBadWimp Active Member

City, State:
      Beaver Falls, PA