Flasher from Hypillauto REVIEW!!" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flasher from Hypillauto REVIEW!!"

I have already had this done with another dealer in SC. I am still waiting on the scans of the dyno sheets so I can post them on my site. Bottom line, the difference between my tune (mods listed, mail order "from experience" tune) vs the tune done at the dyno shop, 1 hp and 3ftlbs. You cannot feel that, and the customer told me that the new tune done by the shop owner was actually lacking in the improvements that I use to make the vehicles more fun to drive and actually USE on a daily basis.
I have stated this before, and I will state it again, if you want a MAX hp tune, I can do that, but expect it to suffer elsewhere. If you want a tune for the daily grind, with good low-mid range power for merging passing and general driving habits, THATS MY SPECIALTY.
Again, its your choice whom you buy from, just be informed of what you are getting into first :)

smiley1 said:
Thanks for the link. Fremont is the closest and thats not exactly close. I have the flasher ordered so I can revert back to stock programming if I decide to do this at a later time.

Its kind of hard to justify the cost of a dyno when there is no real performance benefit. Granted you have peace of mind of the gains but if you dont have someone to tune its just for pure fun. Unless someone wants to start a dyno donation fund for me, I could get Doug to add a program onto my flasher for a direct comparison ;) . So what if one makes 3 HP more? I think the real world driving is more important for an X unless you are racing the thing and there is no dyno for that review. This is why MPG is the most important thing for me.

You are right. If you dont have the same vehicle, same day, same weather to test the two different programs you cant realy compare the two programs on a common level. My goal here is to give everyone a review of impressions of the customer service and objective realized improvements.

My main goals here are MPG and better shifting, not so much HP. Sure, more power is better but thats why I own a 68 bird and a modified GTP. I will be able to give people an accurate MPG comparison as I have a baseline for my current MPG. Im sure there are plenty of 5.0 owners that would be interested in this aspect of programming.

I suppose it would be cool if dreamr got a program from Wayne and I got one from Doug and then go to the dyno. Then we would have a 5.0 and a 4.0 SOHC comparison. It would be fun I suppose. Anyone want to start a donation fund? :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have already had this done with another dealer in SC. I am still waiting on the scans of the dyno sheets so I can post them on my site. Bottom line, the difference between my tune (mods listed, mail order "from experience" tune) vs the tune done at the dyno shop, 1 hp and 3ftlbs. You cannot feel that, and the customer told me that the new tune done by the shop owner was actually lacking in the improvements that I use to make the vehicles more fun to drive and actually USE on a daily basis.
I have stated this before, and I will state it again, if you want a MAX hp tune, I can do that, but expect it to suffer elsewhere. If you want a tune for the daily grind, with good low-mid range power for merging passing and general driving habits, THATS MY SPECIALTY.
Again, its your choice whom you buy from, just be informed of what you are getting into first

I agree. Thats why I have stated before that I am more interested in the driveability and MPG as opposed to the HP numbers. The most important numbers I think are torque and MPG for the X.

Im looking forward to this flasher.

Tracking shows that I might have this by tomorrow. Expect a first impressions sneak peak review late Monday night... Sorry east coasters :p

Get on hwy 1 outa Pacifica, hit the devils slide curve at WOT, if you end up in the ocean your making 203 RWHP and 229 RWTQ, is all simple math, drive carefully dude, not alot of test places in your local:)

Get on hwy 1 outa Pacifica, hit the devils slide curve at WOT, if you end up in the ocean your making 203 RWHP and 229 RWTQ, is all simple math, drive carefully dude, not alot of test places in your local

Yes, I have been that way a couple times. I was out there just after a guy ran his truck off the cliff between the bunkers. Truck was under but he was bobbing in the water for a bit then went under. The coast guard chopper came out just a little too late :( . His body was never found. It sucked watching that when there is nothing you can do.

That link showed an AWD dyno in Fremont. I suppose that is where I would go if everything works out. Anyone know how much drive line loss there is with AWD as opposed to 2wd?

smiley1 said:
Yes, I have been that way a couple times. I was out there just after a guy ran his truck off the cliff between the bunkers. Truck was under but he was bobbing in the water for a bit then went under. The coast guard chopper came out just a little too late :( . His body was never found. It sucked watching that when there is nothing you can do.

That link showed an AWD dyno in Fremont. I suppose that is where I would go if everything works out. Anyone know how much drive line loss there is with AWD as opposed to 2wd?
Go Here, great educational read: www.superstang.com/horsepower.htm

Partial Review

I just got the flasher today. The install was quick and easy.

Disclaimer: This test run was only about 15 miles which does not give ample time for the computer to learn.

I installed the 87 performance and did WOT runs the whole 15 miles. Did I notice a power difference? You bet I did! Now as you folks know I was looking mainly for drivability and economy so I was not expecting that much of a noticeable difference especially with an 87 octane on a stock X. It was an obvious power increase and could not possibly be in my head. There may be more power to be had as the computer learns.

I verified the added power by taking the X up a grade at 73 mph on cruise. When the X was in stock form it would shift from overdrive down one gear and then down another (2 downshifts) in order to maintain that given speed going up the grade requiring the engine to race. With the performance program it only downshifted one time and was able to maintain that given speed without having to drop to a lower gear (1 downshift). How much extra power is that? I have no idea but it sure is nice.

Shifting firmness is just right. It puts you back in your seat but does not snap your neck. Shifting firmness mirrors your driving so if you are driving normal it wont shift crazy at slow acceleration but get into the gas and it does its job very well. Soooo much better than the slushy stock shifting.

Downshifting is a little quicker than stock but I would prefer it even a bit sooner. I will give it some time to learn and see what happens. I talked to Wayne on the phone this morning about it and he was more than willing to change the program to my satisfaction but advised to give it a couple days. Right now I dont know if I will have this changed as it may improve as it learns my driving style. It must be noted that this is just a personal preference on my part and others may not want such a characteristic change in this programming.

So far this is a First Impressions review and not a full review. That will come with time. I leave tomorrow for a long trip where I will be testing the economy program. Again it will be tested with the learn time being done during testing so I will be testing this again at a later time after it has had a chance to learn my driving.

Wayne was great. Before I purchased this flasher I asked if he could get it to me quick as I would be leaving on a road trip. Wayne pulled through by shipping it Express Mail. Thanks Wayne.

Please feel free to ask me questions. I will do my best to be as thorough and honest as possible. Just remember that I will be leaving town tomorrow and wont be back until probably late Friday.

MORE TO COME FOLKS. Overall I am very happy with my decision... but time will tell for the final verdict.

smiley
Did you have a problem smokin the tires going into second gear, am runnin 10 inches of soft perf tire on the pavement and it is a problem, hard on the drivetrain:)

smiley
Did you have a problem smokin the tires going into second gear, am runnin 10 inches of soft perf tire on the pavement and it is a problem, hard on the drivetrain

Thats good problem to have! LOL. But no, the AWD and LSD wont let the tires break loose. It just pushes you back inside your seat but not in a jarring way. If I was 2wd it would be a problem. Remember that I have a stock truck with only an 87 performance program. I cant imagine what the 91 would do for me! You need to get some weight back there to help out that problem of yours ;)

Just a joke smily, will not smoke but they do break loose, not that it means anything but I do have a powertrax rear diff

I am glad you are enjoying your new found :burnout:

:D :D

I remeber when I first got the Apten and BBk Throttle body

I normally drive somewhat mellow, but for a week straight it was wide open from the light.

A 4500 pound ricers nightmare LOL. Well untill I met a real ricer that is...........

Rob,
You are very welcome. Enjoy your trip and let me know the mpg increase when ya get back :) :thumbsup:

I am glad you are enjoying your new found

I remeber when I first got the Apten and BBk Throttle body

I normally drive somewhat mellow, but for a week straight it was wide open from the light.

A 4500 pound ricers nightmare LOL. Well untill I met a real ricer that is...........

Thanks Dreamr. I just did some more WOT driving. LOL. Looking forward to your review!

Wayne, I will post back as soon as I get a figure. Im hoping to have a freeway figure around friday or saturday then a mixed figure for my 15 minute work commute sometime later. Then in April I will have another figure. LOL.

Rob

Removing the front AWD driveshaft is awful. I wouldn't do it unless I had to. Good thread.

Bill, recall a PM I sent you months ago about the 265/60/18 tires? I like the ride and handling, but the total weight has killed my mileage. I'm around 15MPG now, whereas I used to get 17-18MPG with 17's.
DonW

CDW6212R said:
Removing the front AWD driveshaft is awful. I wouldn't do it unless I had to. Good thread.

Bill, recall a PM I sent you months ago about the 265/60/18 tires? I like the ride and handling, but the total weight has killed my mileage. I'm around 15MPG now, whereas I used to get 17-18MPG with 17's.
DonW
Don, I do remember your PM, in calculating your MPG, have you factored in your change in ODO and speedo, with the tire size diff?

Yeah, I went from 29" tires to 30.5"

I think about 1.5MPG is from the added weight. I went from 58.5 to 71.5pounds for each wheel and tire. I haven't yet added the correction module, but my speedometer is within 1-2miles an hour at speed. Math would suggest it should be off more than that.
DW

CDW6212R said:
Yeah, I went from 29" tires to 30.5"

I think about 1.5MPG is from the added weight. I went from 58.5 to 71.5pounds for each wheel and tire. I haven't yet added the correction module, but my speedometer is within 1-2miles an hour at speed. Math would suggest it should be off more than that.
DW
Math rules, with your size change is more like 5MPH,I:E your reading 65, your pushin 70

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, but the radar of my highway patrol friend dissagrees. I've been clocked at 57, while my speedometer was just over 55. I also have a bunch of construction fixed radar devices in town, and several times I have been within one MPH, in the 40-50MPH range. That's the main reason I haven't corrected the speedo yet.

I also know that my speedometer could have been, and probably was, registering fast before.
DW

Back