Flashing 4x4 lights on the instrument panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flashing 4x4 lights on the instrument panel

Millarduck

Reaction score
My '98 XLT w/ SOHC & 5spd Auto, has had the 4x4 high & low idiot lights flashing about every 8 minutes, both at the same time. There is no explaination in the owners manual as to what this means. The truck rides and shifts fine. When I tried to put into 4wd high or low, neither light came on. And in the case of the 4wd low, I heard no linkage shifted. Does anybody know what these flashing lights on the cluster means. Oh yeah, it seams the part time system is fine, it came on while I accelerated out of a rain slickend toll booth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reset ECM?

With the older rigs, you had to do two things: get the codes pulled from the dealership or reset the computer codes by unhooking the battery.

One option is time, the other money: your choice.

The flashing lights mean your T/F case is throwing codes for a problem. Check and make sure all the electrical connectors are still attached to the T/F case. If they are, try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes to reset the computer, take it out for a ride, driving like you normally do and see if the lights come back on. If the lights come back on, you will probably need to bring it in to get the codes read. Good Luck!

if you shut off the engine, wait a few minutes, then start the engine. then before you do anything else put it in neutral and move the 4x4 switch to 4hi and listen for it to click in, then go to 4Lo and listen for it to go in. After that you can take it out of 4wd and it should be ok.
TPlynch is correct in saying that you are getting a error code from the transfercase. It's probably the motor position sensing unit saying that it doesn't know where it's at. By shutting it off and restarting the engine then putting it into 4hi then 4Lo it moves the motor to that position then it's able to recognize where it's at. I have had this happen to me a couple of times.

Got it done

Disconnecting the battery did the trick. It's been fine for the last 2 days. Thanks for the tips.

Fashing 4wd lights

I bet its one of your speed sensors on your transfer case .
Mind had the same problem and i replaced the front one.
Seeee Yaaaa

Back