Flat towing Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flat towing Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if the steering wheel locks when the ignition swith is off. I have a 2015 Ford Explorer with push button start
Yes it does. You should be able to try and move it and see that it is locked. Also, it would be helpful if you added the 'model' of your Explorer to your profile so that it always shows in the margin.:thumbsup:

Peter

I heard ford eliminated the steering wheel locking in 2012 I will try and serif it locks

I forgot to mention if the explore was in neutral and the ignition is off would the wheels lock

2011 Why "Accessory Power On" for towing

Owners Manual for towing my 2011 Explorer and new 2016 models calls for the ignitions to be placed in the "Accessory On" position for 4 wheel down towing behind a Recreational Vehicle.

Why must it be left on? What does Accessory Power have to do with the automatic transmission in a four wheel drive Explorer where prior to towing it must be shifted from Drive, to Reverse, and then back to Neutral while running the engine for 5 minutes before towing and every 6 hours there after?

And if you have that answer please tell me what item is the heaviest voltage load while in the "Accessory Power On" ignition position assuming Climate control is OFF and the radio is OFF?

Everyone chatting on RV forums that tows this vehicle has had to add a charge line for the battery to keep it from draining in 6 hours.

Thanks for the help,

Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread into our Stock 2011+ subforum.

Owners Manual for towing my 2011 Explorer and new 2016 models calls for the ignitions to be placed in the "Accessory On" position for 4 wheel down towing behind a Recreational Vehicle.

Why must it be left on? What does Accessory Power have to do with the automatic transmission in a four wheel drive Explorer where prior to towing it must be shifted from Drive, to Reverse, and then back to Neutral while running the engine for 5 minutes before towing and every 6 hours there after?

And if you have that answer please tell me what item is the heaviest voltage load while in the "Accessory Power On" ignition position assuming Climate control is OFF and the radio is OFF?

Everyone chatting on RV forums that tows this vehicle has had to add a charge line for the battery to keep it from draining in 6 hours.

Thanks for the help,

The run the car for 5 minutes and shifting is probably to make sure there is proper lubrication throughout the transfer case/transmission. Without the engine running there isn't any fluid flow in the transmission because the fluid pump is usually driven by the crankshaft/input shaft. All the gears past the input shaft coupling usually move with the wheels so there are areas of wear to be concerned with. That is why you have to remove the drive shaft on my Ranger when towing it.

As far as the accessory power. It probably has something to do with keeping a solenoid active. Like the torque control coupling solenoid. It probably does something along the lines of keeping the drivetrain "disconnected" so that it limits how many mechanical parts are moving.

Thanks for the help,
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this existing one that may address your question. Check out post 20. I thought it may have to do with unlocking the steering wheel but I just checked mine and it doesn't seem the wheel locks at all sitting parked in the garage.

Peter

The run the car for 5 minutes and shifting is probably to make sure there is proper lubrication throughout the transfer case/transmission. Without the engine running there isn't any fluid flow in the transmission because the fluid pump is usually driven by the crankshaft/input shaft. All the gears past the input shaft coupling usually move with the wheels so there are areas of wear to be concerned with. That is why you have to remove the drive shaft on my Ranger when towing it.

As far as the accessory power. It probably has something to do with keeping a solenoid active. Like the torque control coupling solenoid. It probably does something along the lines of keeping the drivetrain "disconnected" so that it limits how many mechanical parts are moving.
:thumbsup:

Flat towing

I am a electrician and recommend wiring a circuit to the tow plug on the MH that is 12V hot when the MH is running. It should be fused at no more than 15 amps and wired with # 14 wire. When you run the wire from the "towed veh" connector to the battery positive terminal place a high current diode as close to the battery as possible. (anode to the connector/ cathode to battery)

Hello all.

For my first post on this forum I'll start by thanking all the previous posters for their answers to my many questions.

We just lucked into a 2016 Explorer Platinum 3.5L Ecoboost 4WD with more bells and whistles than Carted had Liver Pills! A requirement was that it could be towed 4 wheels down. The dealer gave us a copy of the physical door key so that we do not have to open the FOB every time the doors need to be unlocked. Still, the battery must be disconnected for towing and re-connected to run the engine. A quick disconnect would work well.

Can anyone recommend a relay / solenoid to do this job without having to open the hood each time?

Would powering a RVibrake2 from the motor home be OK? My concern is if there ever was a brake-away, the power would also disconnect. Would the stored air be sufficient?

Again, Thanks for your answers.

-- Fred

Welcome to the Forum Fred. :wave:
I'll leave the answers to those more knowledgeable on this than myself. In the meantime, it would be very help in addressing future concerns if you added the trim (Platinum) to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Thank you sir. Since I did not see a "trim" field, I did not add that. Platinum is there now.

I write this more for my own documentation than anything else. I leave it here to see if it helps anyone else.

(1) Any brake which sits between the drive's seat and the towed vehicle to apply braking force to the brake pedal (RVibrake2, BrakeBuddy, EvenBrake, etc) needs 12V from the towed vehicle (or a second battery in the towed vehicle) to control braking in a break-away situation. Powering from the towing vehicle is not an option!

(2) Ford wants the battery disconnected from the negative pole. (Due to systems waking up it).

(3) There are different base plates depending on features. 5 different Roadmaster Baseplates are available depending on engine, cruse control options, and air shutter options. Call the manufacturer to be sure.

(4) Wiring: I don't want to modify the RVibrake2, nor do I want loose wires around (a problem with some installations. Since I could not find a small receptacle to mount in the dash, I chose a 4-pin trailer connector (Hopkins 079-1482-952 PepBoys 48295 $6.99) to connect both power and the breakaway switch.

C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.jpg

Pin 1 is +12 v direct from battery Pin 2 is - 12 v direct from battery

Pin 3 is out to breakaway switch Pin 4 is return from breakaway switch

-- Fred[/QUOTE]

Answering my own questions:

Can anyone recommend a relay / solenoid to do this job without having to open the hood each time?
The Parallax BR100 uses momentary current to switch states. (PPL P/N 55-9025).

Would powering a RVibrake2 from the motor home be OK? My concern is if there ever was a brake-away, the power would also disconnect. Would the stored air be sufficient?
NO! Air quantity is not the problem. Power is required to control any braking.

Does anyone know the reason for the 65 mph speed restriction on recreational towing? If this is because Ford assumes no brake system, then I can ignore it since I will have a brake system. If it will tear up the transmission, then I need to get a different dinghy!

I own a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4X4 and I have purchased a class a Motorhome. Has anyone used this make and model as a dingy, flat towed 4 wheels down? I’ve read the owners manual but wanted actual owners experience.

I own a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4X4 and I have purchased a class a Motorhome. Has anyone used this make and model as a dingy, flat towed 4 wheels down? I’ve read the owners manual but wanted actual owners experience.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. There isn't much that hasn't already been discussed here.:)

Peter

We purchased a used 2015 Ford Explorer Limited to tow behind a motorhome. We just had the tow plate installed yesterday. We haven't driven it yet.
Questions:
Does the power save cutoff feature interfere with towing?
Do you leave the key fob in the car with doors locked or unlocked?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We purchased a used 2015 Ford Explorer Limited to tow behind a motorhome. We just had the tow plate installed yesterday. We haven't driven it yet.
Questions:
Does the power save cutoff feature interfere with towing?
Do you leave the key fob in the car with doors locked or unlocked?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you have the Owner's Manual, check page 282 which covers towing behind a recreational vehicle.

Peter

Back