Fleet Warning Re: Lift Gate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fleet Warning Re: Lift Gate

scoutexplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT AWD
Yesterday, I received the following email blast from our corporate fleet manager regarding errant opening of the tailgate on our 2016 Explorer's:

We have learned recently through driver feedback that Ford is experiencing issues with it's automatic tailgate feature. Evidently the tailgate may open by itself at anytime without warning. This message is to warn you of this possibility and to be aware at all times. If this occurs to you the best plan of action is to take your vehicle to your local Ford dealer and let's start to document these occurrences so that Ford will recognize that this is an issue that they should have to deal with. Right now they are acting like nothing is wrong.

Let me know if this has happened to you. Please be careful out there!

I'm curious....has anyone here experienced this problem with their tailgate? Our sample size is small; we have @ 100 2016 FET's in our fleet but enough reports have come in to warrant the warning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't experienced that with my Sport and I haven't seen anything come out on OASIS about that issue being investigated.

Hmm interesting.
I assume you can open the liftgate at anytime while the vehilce is in motion?

No there is a speed based lockout feature. IIRC it's like 5 mph or more.

Does this refer to unlocking the hatch? The hatch unlocking and power lifting? The toe wave sensor equipped vehicles opening? Something else?

No there is a speed based lockout feature. IIRC it's like 5 mph or more.
From the 2016 Manual.

The liftgate only operates with the
transmission in park (P).

Peter

This is happening when in Park.
There have been posts on this Forum of the foot activated 'gate' opening when someone just walks by the rear bumper. I've guessed it likely was due to a misaligned sensor. No reports that I'm aware of where it just opens by itself with no one around.

Peter

From the 2016 Manual.

The liftgate only operates with the
transmission in park (P).

Peter

Got my systems confused. It's collision avoidance that activates above 5 mph.

SO any possibility that maybe people are leaving their key fob somewhere like a purse - and it's falling/moving etc triggers the lift button?

I know it requires a double press but still.

or maybe some inadvertent touching of the button on the dash?

I had that happen to me once when I was to close to the back of the vehicle trying to squeeze in between my car and a car parked right behind me and suddenly the lift gate opened.
I figured that it was due to probably my foot getting under the car when I was trying to squeeze in between.
Never happened again.

Back