Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Flu Season is coming. Start thinking about your shots.

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by DocVijay, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DocVijay

DocVijay Meow

City, State:
      Tampa, FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 Sport 2WD
      Flu season is coming up soon, starting in October. While the vaccinations are only necessary for some people, it's reccomended that everyone gets one. Influenza (the flu) causes 114,000 hopsitalizations and 20,000 deaths each year. The pharmaceuticals plan on producing 97 million doses this year, 10 million more than last year, so there shouldn't be any sort of supply problems like last season.

If you are in the follwing groups, get your shot (or family members) in October:

--over age 65

--residents in nursing homes or convalescent centers

--people age 6 months to 65 years with conditions that can increase risk of flu complications

--health care workers

--healthy children age 6 to 23 months

--children 6 months to 9 years who are receiving their first flu shot

--people who live with or have frequent contact with these groups of people

Check this website to get an idea of your risk level and for more info:
      http://www.cdc.gov/nip/flu

Children under 6 months and people allergic to eggs should not get the vaccine. If you do not fit any of these categories, you can start getting your shots in November. You can actually get them any time, but try and save the first doses for those that really need them. The peak for flu season is normally between December and March, so you don't have to get your flu shot right away. Getting it in January or even February can help (unless catch it in December :( ).

For those who care to know, this years vaccine contains these strains:

A/Moscow/10/99 (H3N2)-like
      A/New Caledonia/20/99 (H1N1)-like
      B/Hong Kong/330/2001-like

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Bartman

Bartman Member

City, State:
      Erie, CO
      '00 XLT
      Hey Doc,

Thanks for the info. I work for a medical diagnostic company that makes rapid (15 min) Flu tests, among other things. Our CEO always reminds us to skip the flu shots and take our sick kids to the mall, thus increasing our sales! J/K! Just remember, there are several good tests on the market that can be done while you wait in the Doc's office. That way you know if you need one of the Flu medications that have come out in the past few years. However, a flu shot is your best defense.

P.S. I heard this year is supposed to be worse than normal (but they've said that the past yr or two and were wrong).

4. Goober

Goober Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lexington, SC
      '91XLT4x4
      I have only had three flu shots in my life( I'm now 36). Either I have a really good immune system, or very lucky. We always take the kids to get theirs though. Schools are campgrounds for 'bugs'.

5. 4LF

4LF New Member

City, State:
      Memphis, TN
      '99 Sport
      Ugh- I hate flu season. I had two different flus last year! Memphis is so dirty, humid, and overcrowded that there are too many strains to vaccinate for effectively.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Meow

City, State:
      Tampa, FL
      1999 Sport 2WD
      Yes, but if there are 4 strains and you can prevent three of them, those are pretty good odds. Makes it worth it.