Flush or replace computer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flush or replace computer

desertcat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.1 Manual
I have a stick shift 2 door 4.1 SportTrac with 183k miles and in average shape. The mechanic says the computer is suspect. Does anyone have advice about the cost and effort to replace it? The truck's key is a straightforward key, so I do not think a "new" computer will affect starting. Given the truck's book value, is replacing the computer even worth it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I try not to replace anything because it is "suspect"... I need to know with some certainty, throwing electronic parts at anything can run up a bill fast.

I don't think it is hard to replace or costly.

What is the problem with the truck that points to the PCM ('computer')?
... The mechanic says the computer is suspect. Does anyone have advice about the cost and effort to replace it?

I have a stick shift 2 door 4.1 SportTrac with 183k miles and in average shape. The mechanic says the computer is suspect. Does anyone have advice about the cost and effort to replace it? The truck's key is a straightforward key, so I do not think a "new" computer will affect starting. Given the truck's book value, is replacing the computer even worth it?

Ask the mechanic to finish this sentence

"The PCM is suspect because ....."

More often than not, erratic/intermittent problems are due to corroded/damaged wiring/connectors.

Use ForScan Lite to pull the DTC's from the PCM (and every other module while you are at it). See if any of them give a hint to the issues you observed and drove you to take the vehicle to a mechanic in the first place.

No offense to anyone, but my experience was that backyard mechanics with pre 96 training were more likely to propose replacing electronic parts without a definitive diagnosis.

Newer shop manuals have specific instructions on how to test electronic components before replacing them.

How can one have a 1998 4.1 sport trac, when they first came out in 2000 and never were offered in a 4.1 (only 4.0 and 4.6) and only a two door? IMPOSSIBLE!

Back