Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Fluttering Noise 1996 explorer limited

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by ravens1592, August 9, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. ravens1592

ravens1592 New Member

City, State:
    Baltimore Mayland
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 Limited V6 4.0
    Hey everyone i am new to the site, everytime i have a problem google always takes me to threads here so i decided to join.

I cannot find any threads dealing with the same problem that i am having, i've been searching for days.

My Explorer (112,000 miles) is making a fluttering noise while i am either idle, or slowing down. It makes it when i am accelerating but not as loud. It seems to be coming from right near my alternator, i had Advance do a stress test and everything turned out great, no battery problems, starter problems or alternator problems. It's running great, i just replaced the fuel filter, changed the oil and replaced the spark plugs about 2 months ago.

I don't know if it could be a pully or something loose, it makes a very quiet squeak noise on and off but not consistently.

I put in my stereo system myself and a few days ago the remote wire was pulled out of my amp and killed my car while i was driving down my street. I unplugged the amp and the car started right up. Then that night my battery light kept going on and off and now it's been off for 2 days.

Anyone have any idea?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. timex129

timex129 New Member

City, State:
    Shilo, Manitoba
    2000 Limited 4.0L SOHC
    I think I have the same problem/sound as you. I don't know if it's related to you installing your stereo or not. It sound like to me that when you have a heavy demand (your stereo cranked up), that your engine belt has a hard time staying on the pulley, which is probably your tensioner getting weak. The reason I think it's your tensioner pulley is because, I have a weak tensioner pulley. I just decide to find out what the noise was a couple of days ago when I would step on the gas to get up to speed or pass I would get this annoying rubbing sound. So I decided to check out the noise and found out I could push the tensioner pulley about a 1/2" with minor effort. Plus I see it vibrate back in forth and even more when I got my wife to give it a little throttle. The tensioner is around 30 bucks through Rock Auto and if you replace your tensioner, might as well replace your belt for good measure.

4. ravens1592

ravens1592 New Member

City, State:
    Baltimore Mayland
    1996 Limited V6 4.0
    i just got in from replacing the tensioner pulley and to my suprise that was NOT the problem.... this rules out my idler pulley as well since i replaced that yesterday.

I tried holding a screwdriver to my alternator and holding my ear on the handle and i could hear the noise extremely clearly, turns out its my bearings in my alternator going bad, this is probably from my stereo system drawing so much current. At least now i know what it is and dont have to replace my pulley's for a very long time :)

i think im going to let my alternator wear down a little more then replace it. Strange though because i had my battery, stater and alternator checked a few days ago at advance auto parts and everything turned out perfect.

5. timex129

timex129 New Member

City, State:
    Shilo, Manitoba
    2000 Limited 4.0L SOHC
    It's possible that there's nothing wrong with your alternator charging you system. It's the brass bushing that sit inside are worn out. Too bad it's hard to find an alternator rebuild kit these days. It would be a $30 fix and not $300+. At least you know what it is now. From the sounds of it I thought it was the same problem I was having, so I'm sorry for the misleading.

6. ravens1592

ravens1592 New Member

City, State:
    Baltimore Mayland
    1996 Limited V6 4.0
    Well i figure i run the alternator until it starts giving me charging problems, then just replace it all together for $110 through advance auto parts, i can put it in myself so it won't be too much out of pocket

We Support Our Troops!