Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Flywheel Problem

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by chris223401, July 17, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. chris223401

chris223401 New Member

City, State:
    Grant Park Illinois
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 xlt
    Hi i am thinking about buying a 1997 ford explorer with the 4.0 Efi from my buddy. At first he thought the trans was shot but he took it to his mechianic and found out it was the flywheel. It makes a grinding or a more high pitched slipping sound (very hard to describe the sound). So i am wondering if there is any theads on how to change the flywheel or if the problem is in the transmission. If you guys could help me i would really appreciate it.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    Torque Converter?

Maybe he means the torque converter? I don't know. had trouble with mine, and it was also a strange sound.

4. 1998Exp

1998Exp Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Seattle WA
    98 Limited V8 AWD
    Is that an automatic or a manual transmission? Only manuals uses a flywheel.
    Automatics use a flexplate, and if so, your buddy probably meant the torque converter. In either case, the transmission has to come out before those can be replaced.

5. chris223401

chris223401 New Member

City, State:
    Grant Park Illinois
    1998 xlt
    It is a automatic trans ... I guess I will out .... I bought it today going to pick it up tommorow and maybe when I get some time off of work I will tear into it. I will post pics or try to see what's wrong and let you guys know .... Unless I get to frustrated with it and tow it into my mechanic.

6. chris223401

chris223401 New Member

City, State:
    Grant Park Illinois
    1998 xlt
    Okay so i ave no idea whats wrong now .... it still has the same problems as before but evry once in a while it grinds in reverse .... can someone help me please?

7. chris223401

chris223401 New Member

City, State:
    Grant Park Illinois
    1998 xlt
    Since the weather was hot today I got time to figure out what's wrong ... I no longer think it's the flywheel ... I think it's a solenoid that controls the shifting .. Because I found out that every once in a while when you put it in reverse it grinds like something isn't engaging ... So I found a decent used transfer case and I'm going to try that and hope it fixes the problem

8. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    Someone posted on here yesterday that they fixed their reverse grinding by making an adjustment of some kind (cable, I think)...just a thought.

We Support Our Troops!