FMS 5.0L Header install ?

EMStaxi

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Piscataway, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
Has anyone personally installed the FMS headers? If so, did you follow the instructions to the T? if not what parts did you skip and how easy or hard was it to install?

P.s., I just got mine today from for 179.. part # FMS- M-9430-E50

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cant really help you but if they fit well let us know. some of us have been wondering which ones will fit and would like to know...

They were a pain in the butt. They took 6 hours with a lift and all the proper tools. It is only a job for experienced shade tree mechanics and real mechanics.

ouch, that sounds bad, but for $179... you suppose even with the labor costs its a better buy? I haven't seen many headers for explorers specigically, and the ones that I do see are like $400.

Dont we have some sort of headers stock too? if so they shouldn't be hard to remove via the underbody of the truck. WAY too much stuff on top I'd think.

Good luck! let us know! :)

i didn't know that anyone made headers for the 5.0. I would love to have some, and have seen those ones on summit racingandsuch, but i figured they were for mustangs or something. Let us know if they work and how they perform. Thanks

OK, I installed them last saturday. It the hardest part was getting the drivers side out without disconnecting the fuel lines. Installation instructions do come with them.
The only problem I had was I misread the instuctions and took the oil dipstick tube out instead of bending it a litttle. I got so frustrated trying to bendi back to the original shape that it broke......What a costly mistake.....70 bucks was the cheapest I could find and after calling like 15 dealers.
But other than that everything bolted up fine. It may have taking me about 3 - 4 hours.

They sound nice. I may change mufflers now.. have the flowmaster 50 series. Thinkin about 40's

headers?

Where? Are they for the GT-40p heads?

Instructions? We don't need no stinking instructions!

I have them on my 1999 Ranger V8 4x4. The only issue I had was the erg fitting was not on the set I was able to get. I got them for $160 from Roush.

The install was a piece of cake, but I was working with all brand new exhaust/engine, so I did not have to break any rusted connections.

I did almost every bolt from inside the wheel openings. Just remove the splash shield ant they are right there. The Pass side is easy, the driver side is more of a project.

I will be doing them on my 1998 Mountaineer in a month or so. I will let you know if my story changes!

These headers are an improvement over the rediculous stock manifolds, but they are by no means great. Too bad they are all the aftermarket offers :(

awesome...

I'll be right here waiting... I am so ready to get them off my 98 MM... those have to be the most restrictive headers I have seen. Please let me know how it goes.

I currently have 3" sidepipes w no cats and no mufflers... new headers will make it sound nice.

Can you post or send me some pics of your install on the ranger. Thx!

well, i just got my headers in today. FMS ones like EMStaxi just got. it may take a few weeks to get 'em on, im fairly busy with the bronco these days... think im gonna take the die grinder and polish them out. i did a small test spot on them and in just a few minutes they were shining like chrome. what do you guys think? polished or factory ugly stainless steel? remember, this is a streeter, no mud/dirt gets in the engine compartment.

mmm polished stainless steel goooooooood, if you can polish em out I would, there may be saftey concerns or something, not that I know of.. but its not like I'm any authority on such a thing lol

Don't bother polishing them. They are 300 series stainless and will build up another layer of surface corrosion soon after the polish.

tmsoko- thanx for the info. i was wondering about that. thats why i did a "test spot" in an area on the header that couldnt be seen when mounted. just in case.

I have photo's of my headers and exhaust, but am not web savy, in that I am not sure how to attach to the board. If you want photo's send me a PM and I will forward to your email.

Also, WRT the EGR fitting as I mentioned, it seems like some people can still get the headers with it, but FRPP no longer makes them, so all I did was cut a fitting off a set of mustang headers and welded to the pass side header. Then, I drilled the hole in the pipe. Pretty painless.

Good luck!

Go ahead and order them. I have GT40-P heads on my 1997 Explorer engine. They fit perfectly, with adequate clearance for wires, etc..

You mean i've been looking for headers for the P heads all this time thinking that they had to be specific and the ones for the regular head will work!!!! Why don't they just list them for all V8s then?!?!?! geezzz

I think the reason they don't list for all V8's is they don't have the EGR fitting. I guess the 1996 Explorer did not have the EGR fitting on the passenger side header. All I did was weld on the fitting and bolt up the headers!

mounty...

Are they on the MM yet tmsoko? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sadly no! Cash is a little tight after the V8 Ranger project. Once I sell some of my extra parts, I will get the headers for the Mount.

I will keep you posted.

Back