Fog/driving lamps for 01 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog/driving lamps for 01 Sport

Fog/driving lamps for 01 Sport (PICS!!!)

Hi I'm looking for an all-in-one solution for fog AND driving lights that will fit in the factory fog location on an 01 Sport. Does anyone know of a light that will work for my needs? I'm hoping for something from Hella...but I'm willing to look at any brand.

TIA,

jordan23

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't tell if thos XLOs are a 2 in 1 or not...but these Hella Optilux appear to be. They probably won't fit in my factory location...but I can find another spot just in the lower grill/bumper.

Hella 2020s

Ok...these will go in the factory fog location Hella 1100 and these will go in the lower airdam Hella 2020

Please tell me what you think!

Jordan23

I think you will be disapointed in the amount of light from either of those. The Optilux lights are "get what you pay for".
Good small round fog lights are hard to find. Catz MSC, while called driving lights, have a great fog pattern and put out a lot of light. The larger Hella FF series (100, 200 & 300) will be much better driving lights and should fit in the lower grill opening.

Bill,

I'll look into the MSCs and the Hella FF series then. I don't want "cheap" light output. I'm willing to pay for quality light. Are these the MSCs that you're talking about? Catz MSC

Also, do you suggest the gold iridium...hyperwhite, or clear?

Thanks!

Jordan23

Yes, those are the ones. They put out a wide flat fog type beam that is 77deg. wide instead of the usual 90deg. for fogs. However they perform great. They might be hard to find since Catz doesnt have a US distributer now.

Well Bill, I took (some) of your advice and went ahead and bought the Hella FF200 (fog lamp style not driving lamp style). I ALSO picked up the Optilux 1100s (cheap I know) all from Summit Racing--BTW they did do a price match for me so I got the FF200s for $114 and the 1100s for $41.69. I figured I'd get most of my light production from the 200s so I'd just put the 1100s in the factory fog location for show.

How do you think that'll work for me?

Thanks!

Jordan23

I would think the hella fogs will be great. Since you use the fog lights 90% of the time compared to the driving lights it is a good choice.
Optilux has two round lights 1300 & 1500 which are both "driving" lights. I have never seen them but it could be like the MSC where, if aimed down, they would make good fogs. Oh ya....I like clear best..most light output.
So many lights, so little time & $$.

That's what I was thinking. I sure hope the FF200s fit somewhere on my lower airdam...I don't have a brush guard on my truck (yet) and the lights are nearly 6" tall!!

OK...my Westin Safari bar and the Hella FF200s have just arrived and are sitting in my living room. I'm getting everything installed on Tuesday. I have an 01 Sport (grey interior) and...

I'd like some ideas as to where to put the switch for these (and the other fogs I plan to get in the factory location).

Help anyone? Pics?!

Thanks!

jordan23

Well, I just got my truck back with the safari bar and Hella FF200s installed on it. It looks SO sweet! I haven't had a chance to see how/if the Hella's improve lighting any...but I'll keep you posted! I'll try and post some pics before too long.

jordan23

Ya, We want to see it....I'm sure you'll like the amount of light.

Ok...do I need to worry about "sealing" these lights to ensure they don't get rain or anything in them? I've heard people mention something about silicon??

I have never sealed fog lights. Usually they are well made and dont require any additional sealant. Some are designed to allow heat to escape and sealing would shorten bulb life. Altezzas & clear corners usually need sealing but not fogs.

Ok...Now I have both sets of lights installed. My question is, should I notice my battery meter dropping significantly while at idle with both sets running? The install on my second set of lights was just performed today and I noticed while at a stoplight...my battery meter goes waaaay down. Once I step on the gas (and the alternator winds up) the battery meter goes back to it's normal position. Is this normal?!

Thanks and pics will be taken soon!

Jordan23

Another anamoly is that the switch for those Pilot lights was TOO damn bright. It was INSANELY bright!! Just last night, however, I noticed it doesn't even light up anymore. Could the LED have gotten too much power and burned out somehow? I don't really care whether it lights up or not (actually prefer that it doesn't)...I just don't want any damage to my lights.

Help? Suggestions?!

Here's a shot of the switches

6731DSCF0123.jpg

The one on the right (RED) is the bright sucker that seems to now have burned out. It controls the Pilots in the factory fog locations...here's a shot of all my lights.

6731DSCF0127.jpg

6731DSCF0120.jpg

6731DSCF0117.jpg

...and just for giggles...my screen with 5.1 surround sound! :D

6731DSCF0121.jpg

jordan23

Back