Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Fog/Driving lights bypass help.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Chris Harrach, March 19, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Chris Harrach

Chris Harrach Active Member

City, State:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
    Good Morning all.
    I know subject this has been gone over once before, but an update on this information would be helpful. I would like to know if anyone has RECENTLY done the bypass of their fog/driving lights relay, that allows the fog/driving lights to come on independently of the headlights. There was a very extensive 9 page thread on this, but the info was confusing as the participants all had different Explorers (Year, model, 2 dr or 4 door, etc....) and some of them wanted the lights to come on with the parking lights, and some wanted them to come on alone as daytime running lights. I have a 1997 EB Explorer, and I've located the relay under the air filter housing. What I'd like to know is if anyone has a similar Explorer to mine, and done this mod? Pictures and a clear cut way to do this, would be of immense help. (Knowing which wires to cut/splice and their respective colors, etc....) . Thanks in advance.:salute:

Chris Harrach.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. yavapaires

yavapaires Active Member

City, State:
    Dewey, Az
    1996 XLT
    I have a 96, I installed aftermarket fog lights. I just ran a wire fron a key on hot wire in the console to a seperate switch, then to the lights. I didn't fool with the factory wiring. Now I have NO PROBLEM.

4. mikepier

mikepier Active Member

City, State:
    Long Island, NY
    99 XLT
    15 XL
    This has been brought up before. For some reason my 99's fog lights came wired independently so I can turn them on with the parking lights. I'm not sure why some models do not have it like this.

5. Chris Harrach

City, State:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    '97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
  6. Chris Harrach

City, State:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    '97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
    Apparently Ford made the 99 models & up with independent fogs. The thing that had me confused on the earlier 9 page thread that covered this subject was that none of the participants seemed to come to a concensus as to what was the best way to do this modification. It seems that the wiring colors were different on various year models.

7. gadourym

gadourym New Member

City, State:
    Sterling, CT
    2012 XLT V6
    I have a 2000 and the fog lights only come on wiht the headlights, so it doesn't seem to be 99 and up...

8. Chris Harrach

City, State:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    '97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
    :confused:Hmmmm...... The mystery continues it seems. I would really like to do this modification without doing any damage to the vehicle. I dont want to cut and splice something that's going to cause a problem in another area (headlights out on either side, parking lights out, etc...). Thats why I'd like to know what color wires need cutting & splicing.

9. ucluglee

ucluglee Member

City, State:
    Greenville, SC
    '00 XLT
    You may want to check the motor vehicle laws in your state. In SC the driving lights may not be on with the high beams. I don't think it's enforced, but it is a law.....and the way my luck runs I'd get that one pissed off cop that pulls me over.

10. Chris Harrach

City, State:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    '97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
    Fog/Dri bypass hlpving lights

I know what you mean about the pissed off or "having a bad day" cop. Ive seen them here in Georgia. But I'm not trying to run the fog/driving lights with the high beams. Im more interested in just being able to turn them on independently from the headlights. Either with the side/parking lights, or without. However, this is a modification I'll have to keep on hold for a minute, as Im in the process of switching out my rack & pinion unit. (that is, as soon as the rain stops) :salute: