Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ford and trans shop can't figure it out- still killing!

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Darcie, August 19, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Darcie

Darcie New Member

City, State:
    Mpls, MN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 XLT V8, 2007 Ltd. V8
    I have discovered that the weather temp has a lot to do with the killing problem I am having- when I drove it on a 70 degree day, it only killed 2 times (idling at stoplights), when I drove it on a 90 degree day it killed virtually every time I stopped, and put it in reverse. Even chugged a bit when in park. It does start right back up.

Same for when it's in OD and RPM's are low, when it's hot out, it chugs/cuts out constantly, prompting me to take it out of OD. When it's cool out, I can leave it in OD.

Ford has looked at it twice, they feel it's the TC; the trans. shop feels it's an engine issue. It's going back to Ford for a re-eval. Hate to replace the TC if that's not what's causing this killing issue, although I do believe that is the source of the rattling sound underneath, that it's had for at least 50k (I thought it was exhaust!)

Any ideas about why the difference with weather?
    Is it thinning the fluid and making the TC worse?
    Is it a fuel problem? (replaced f.filter, had f.pump checked),
    Is it an elec. problem? (replaced sensors P115, P 113, and ones for crank and cam, new spark plugs, tho' spark was good).

Thanks in advance for imput!
    Darcie

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

We Support Our Troops!