Ford concepts from Detroit Auto Show... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford concepts from Detroit Auto Show...

mikefox

Reaction score
City, State
Puyallup, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 4dr XLT 4X4 Sold
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Here is the site for the show with more links:
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like it ....

Any chance they ever enter series? I think I should take a short trip to Detroit ....

Another one...

Dead Link Removed

The Ford F-650 Super Crewzer.

Why do they tease me like this...
cry.gif
I love that 'Dune Buggy'. I wanna, I wanna............ Think it would help if I cried til I got what I wanted???

I agree with you on the buggy. I would love to have something like that. It looks better than Isuzu's VehiCross rig they came out with. That thing is odd looking.

5 posts so far

If the excitement of the Explorer off-road community about the ultimate Ford Off-Roader (the Ex) is this overwelming, (5 posts :( ) we should not be surprised if Ford goes on building nice cars for the road and nothing for us. I don't get it, I'm absolutely shocked by this non-reaction of the members of this great site. :( Well done; we helped to prove that Ford's strategy to concentrate on soccermoms is absolutely right; they at least appreciate the new cupholders. :fire:

I hope that if a development engineer of Ford surfs this site, he or she will read my following lines:

Dear Ford Engineers

Thank you very much for having built two awsome looking concept cars for a small minority like us, which takes their Ford SUVs still off-road and uses them as daily transports as well as for fun. I was so impressed about these two vehicles, that I was considering driving from Virginia to Detroit for seing them in person. Unluckily, I don't think my job will permit this, but I hope seeing them on a other occasion (2001 SAE World Congress for example). I'm fully aware that chances, that one of these vehicles ever will make it to series, is minimal, but they show a lot of very interesting solutions. If just some of this solutions will make it into the regular Ford SUVs of the future, it was worth the effort.

Again, thank you very much for thinking of us for a change
Sincerely
Michael Boehm, Glen Allen, VA

Good letter Michael. One possible reason for the lack of response is that everyone already responded to the Create Your Own Wrangler fighter thread and several other threads on this subject. Everyone is a little digusted that the models Ford said would come out (ragtop Explorer etc) wont in fact make it to production.

Stephen,

You might be correct. Even though, I don't really understand the reaction. This would be giving up to easy. You also don't stop teaching a kid just because he or she doesn't gets it the first time, and then, when he or she gets it right, you don't say a word of acknowledgement anymore.

In automotive industry, even with today's computers and rapid-prototyping, getting a good prototype together, from concept over the plans to real vehicle (just think how many parts are unique and need to be hand-made) takes time. And if - let's phantasize here - the ridealongs of Ford engineers in Truckheaven or Moab and our Wrangler-Fighter thread would have had an influence on Ford, made them dump this first open top Explorer or whatever on Ranger drivetrain in favor of something better (and the EX and Sportsman look 100 times better to me) then Ford actually would have worked extremely fast.

Not all concepts come to live (thanks God) and sometimes it takes a while; just look at Jeeps newest baby, the Liberty: The presentation of the Dakar lays about 4 years back, the Jeepster about 3. But a combination of the two concepts made it into the real world, a little bit too small in my eys and unluckily with a IFS, but it made it :D

Therefore we should be realistic and support Ford in their effort a little bit longer than just one or two years.

My 0.2 centimes.

Brian 1; I know; but also that thread had just 9 mellow replies!

I agree with you that if people give up, the vehicle will never be put into production, but people give up to easily. Hey we're Americans remember!

I don't know if any of you have seen the concept Ford 49, but that is one sweet looking ride. I would love to have one as my daily driver so that I could commit my explorer off road full time.

I just spent 6 hours at the auto show today... Got to see all the concepts up close and read the specs. All I can say is wow. It would be great if just a few of them went in to production, even if they were a little scaled down.

Re: Another one...

Originally posted by CBoug76
Dead Link Removed

The Ford F-650 Super Crewzer.

OOOOOO!!!! Im liken that one!!!! can you say pull rig?

that would be sweeeeeeeet!!!

wow

those are sweet id toss the scorpion looking thingy in the back of the f650 super crewzer and be out four weeks! not for but 4!!!!

that reminds me of that joke image that was on the anti-suv page for a while... the kenworth SUV... they took a cemi and converted the back (where the trailer would hook up) into useable room, so it could hold something like 20-30 people... a few of the claims were:
"don't worry you CAN give a ride to the whole soccer team!"
"the first SUV to ever be rated in gallons per mile!"
and "watch out for low-hanging street lights" :)

Amazing! These concepts give a peek at the direction the auto industry is taking in terms of styling and design. I love it! So many different makes coming out with new body styles this year. Very exciting for me! I'll go sit down now. ;)

--mark

Ex

While I LOVE the pure off-road orientation of the concept, the EX is actually a little too extreme for me. I want something I can wheel hard, but also drive 50 miles roundtrip between home and work, as well as haul a couple of passengers, dogs, gear, etc. I'd like to see a more conventional (2-door, or rear-opening suicide doors) set-up with a back seat, etc. I'll say it again: I want a modernized version of the Early/Classic Bronco. Simple, strong, and pure utility. Hell, put a solid axle in front and a strong manual tranny, transfer case and hubs in an Explorer Sport and I'd be THRILLED! Again, though, I'm excited as hell that Ford actually addressed the hard-core off-road market with this concept...now bring something to market!!!! Lord knows Jeep is slipping with the Liberty (READ: IFS = SELLING OUT).

Damn, those are awesome looking, I like the F-650 hehehe only cause its HUGE. The buggy seems like an awesome toy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll put in my order for a Ford EX!! Looks like an awesome off-roader! What a cool toy! Is that the Wrangler fighter? It sure would give any TJ a run for it's money!! Explorer EXtreme!!

The Explorer Sportsman isn't bad, but it "looks too Japanese" to me. I like the large, flat, easy to clean, cargo compartment. I like the built in cooler, Although I would use it to carry heavy tools, keeping the center of gravity low. I HATE the wood trim and what looks like wooden floor mats. What's with that??

Back