• Register Today It's free!

Ford Expl 2000 V6 SOHC 4R44

roverz

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB
I think my vehicle has the 4R44 transmission and V6 SOHC its a EB 2000 automatic. 100k miles

I am trying to determine why there seems to be a lot of transmission slippeage or bogging when accelerating. It seems to be around 2nd gear in the 2200-2800 RPM range. The tachometer keeps increasing but there is this several seconds of lag (almost like turbo lag) before the truck seems to accelerate at all. Could this be just the standard behavior of the v6SOHC and stock 4R44?

Pretty much has been my wife's daily driver until a few years ago and now is my toy.

Pretty stock truck but i have done the following from reading threads and trying to get rid or reduce this lag/bog.
1. Drilled Air box with Spectre filter
2. Electric cleaner on the MAF sensor
3. Zip tied the slack out of the throttle cable
4. confirmed that at WOT the butterfly is 100% horizontal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody have any similar throttle lag like this?

I am just comparing it to my friends 4runner 2005 which seems to respond very quickly to throttle input.

roverz you have a 5r55. Ford started using 5 speeds on 1997 up explorers and rangers. I could be the solenoid pack (7g391).

In a post the TR: D seems to be the 5r44 which i thought was a four speed automatic in 2000 on the column the is a "RND21" which sort of seems more inline with a 4 speed?

Transmission Codes

Code .................. Model
D (1997-2005) ..... A5LDE / 5R44/55E

Actually Ford had about 5 different trans:
5r55e, 5r55w, 5r55s, 5r44e and 1 more.
Their was no A5LDE it was an A4LD which was early ranger and explorer.
The other one was an E4OD which is in the bigger trucks. Both of those are 4 speeds. The explorers from 97 and up had a push button on the column. That button was turn on the fifth speed or turn it off for 4 speed. Ford got rid of the o around the d when they offered push button overdrive which is you fifth gear.

Ps sorry the post looks weird I typed it on my phone.

Any other advise on what might be going on with this perceived lag is this starndard for a 4.0 SOHV and 5r55 ?

Back