Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes!

I just had the pads seize on the rear driver's side on my 2012 Explorer. The mileage is only 35000 miles but the factory warranty expired in Dec. I thought for sure that the caliper seized but the dealership says no so it isn't covered by my ESP warranty. I'm no mechanic but I'm not sure how brake pads can seize unless the caliper is involved. Brake pads should not seize at 35000 miles. Also the rotor was ruined so that has to be replaced. I contacted Crystal and she opened a case for me and referred it to my regional customer service manager.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum stillearning.:wavey:

Peter

Thanks Peter. Actually I have been lurking for about a year, when I bought the Explorer. This forum provides a great deal of information!

Update on my brake problem...The regional customer service manager called me about 2 hours after I contacted Crystal. She said the dealer and Ford decided to split the cost of the brake job so it is paid in full!! Great customer service by both Ford and my dealer! :) And MANY thanks to Crystal. What a great resource she is to this forum!!

Thanks Peter. Actually I have been lurking for about a year, when I bought the Explorer. This forum provides a great deal of information!

Update on my brake problem...The regional customer service manager called me about 2 hours after I contacted Crystal. She said the dealer and Ford decided to split the cost of the brake job so it is paid in full!! Great customer service by both Ford and my dealer! :) And MANY thanks to Crystal. What a great resource she is to this forum!!

Thanks for the shout-out, stillearning! It was my pleasure to help. :D

Crystal

That is great service. Wonder if I should bring up my $700 bill for the same work on a newer vehicle. I am still miffed.

Jman.

So, $683 later, I now have functional OEM brakes again. Didn't have time to research better aftermarket options, as brakes finally totally went out, and went about 15mph to closest brake shop to home, about a half mile away. Next time I need brakes, they are not going to be OEM garbage.

Is this happening on 2015s? Im back after many years and thinking of getting into a 15 Sport. My 02 was nothing but PROBLEMS with stuff like this. Im not looking to drop 50,000 to start this process all over again. I could go well into the luxury market with 50g's! lol

Only 8 posts?!?!! Couldve sworn I had 100s lol

Your last post (7th) before this one was 04-20-2006, 01:02 PM. ;)
Welcome back.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Arrg, I had a seize @34K which killed the calipers so the dealer replaced. Now same set @42K, was driving around and heard a groan when backing up slowly. Got home and the rear passenger wheel felt warm. Pulled of the tire and sure enough there is about a 1/16th of an inch on the outside pad. You would have thought Ford having done the warranty repair would have set the brakes up to last more than 10K miles, but I guess not.

wow, this makes me want to reconsider my purchase.

Well now I have pads purchased after 7/1/14. I went from 90% brake lining at 28,786 to needing new brakes within 10,000 miles. Dealer claims this is normal.

Ahhhh.... Another quality dealership. I was about to comment on the dealer being a scumbag but realized that if it is happening often then it is "normal" for the vehicle just not normal for a modern automobile.

Arrg, I had a seize @34K which killed the calipers so the dealer replaced. Now same set @42K, was driving around and heard a groan when backing up slowly. Got home and the rear passenger wheel felt warm. Pulled of the tire and sure enough there is about a 1/16th of an inch on the outside pad. You would have thought Ford having done the warranty repair would have set the brakes up to last more than 10K miles, but I guess not.

If you haven't already, ocracokeBound, I'd recommend returning to the dealership so they can take a look at the pads. Once you've had your visit, let me know if you need my assistance; I'll be here. :thumbsup:

Crystal

If you haven't already, ocracokeBound, I'd recommend returning to the dealership so they can take a look at the pads. Once you've had your visit, let me know if you need my assistance; I'll be here. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for the offer, but I am out of warranty so I own the rotors and calipers, that pad had to go. One more week and they would have been torched. All other pads are at least 75% remaining

IMG_20150420_112538.jpg

The upside of the entire adventure was I finally got the caliper tool I always wanted to make the emergency repair. BTW: The Duralast C-Max pads had the brake grease included in the package, not sure why there was no grease in the channels on these.

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for the offer, but I am out of warranty so I own the rotors and calipers, that pad had to go...

You're welcome, ocracokeBound; if there's anything I can assist with in the future, don't hesitate to ask. I'm glad you're fixed up and back on the road again. :thumbsup:

Crystal

After reading all the posts and lurking since we purchased our Explorer in March, looks like I have to schedule a visit to the local dealer. The drivers side rear makes noise and I can feel a groove in the rotor time to pull the wheel and have a good inspection of it.

After reading all the posts and lurking since we purchased our Explorer in March, looks like I have to schedule a visit to the local dealer. The drivers side rear makes noise and I can feel a groove in the rotor time to pull the wheel and have a good inspection of it.

Welcome to the forum, wheiss71! Getting your dealership to inspect sounds like a good idea to me! How many miles are on your Explorer currently? Come back and tell us how your appointment goes. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Welcome to the Forum wheiss71.:wavey:
I see that our forum rep, Crystal, is already looking after you.:thumbsup:

Peter

Currently at 29000 and change mileage wise. Going to pull the wheel at work in the next day or two (like working at a company that services their own tractor trailers). Thanks for the welcome Crystal and Peterk9. fyi my local dealership is Independence Ford, Bloomsburg PA.

Currently at 29000 and change mileage wise. Going to pull the wheel at work in the next day or two (like working at a company that services their own tractor trailers). Thanks for the welcome Crystal and Peterk9. fyi my local dealership is Independence Ford, Bloomsburg PA.

You're quite welcome, wheiss71! Let us know what you find out after pulling the wheel and/or if you decide to have your dealership inspect. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back