Ford Explorer reliability - how does it compare? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer reliability - how does it compare?

mkaresh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Taurus X
Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

Thanks to members here, we're now collecting data on a few model years of the Explorer. We've gone from 99 owners signed up to over 200. But more participants remain very much needed for all years.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Getting closer. Total of 115 now, with the 2006 model year nearly 2/3 of the way.

have you checked with the administrator Rick??? you should really contact him first :scratch:

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that. The admins of many other forums are already helping out.

Still waiting on a response from Rick, and still hoping to be able to provide some results on the Explorer. The 2006 is 2/3 of the way to the minimum. 127 for all years.

Still looking for just two more owners of the 2006.

Honesty...

Thank you for posting honestly about your intent... I'm just a poster here too, but it was good to know that you were openly conducting a survey. Are you available to answer questions? Just a couple about marketing techniques... Thank you.

(Disclaimer: If the moderators disagree to anything here, it's the poster's fault :D

I'll gladly answer some questions. What do you want to know?

If you doubt others will be interested, feel free to PM or email me.

Thank you for responding!

You noted that the study had been ongoing for some time now... Is it correct that in general, when studies such as yours are done, that you read through postings and forums, not just looking for opinions, but for responses too in order to see how the consumer feels about the product? This in addition to responses gathered, correct?

You also look at ways to improve on the next generation based on previous generation owners' postings? Also, if you were the competition, say Toyota, how much data could you gain from this site to woo Ford owners to Toyota's products?

Thanks in advance! :)

Personally I like to look through forums to get a sense of what people feel about various products and what sort of problems they might be having. I learned of the problems with the Toyota Camry V6s transmission way before I had survey results this way.

If Consumer Reports had done the same, they might have stopped recommending the car a year before they actually did so. I started warning people who emailed me for advice that there might be a problem as soon as I suspected one.

That said, I don't think the manufacturers spend nearly as much time looking at these forums as they ought to. Instead, they pay firms that automate the process and give them summarized results. I suspect that much of the value is lost in the process.

Thank you! You have stressed the importance of sites like this, and that this site could serve as a great resource to both producers and consumers. (Thank you for the information... Hopefully, with input like yours, manufacturers will begin to get more involved in what is said here)

Last questions, how much value have you found in the information you were able to gather here? And when you are looking for input, do you consider the quality of the site and its posters? For example, too much cursing or lack of decency, would you pass on that site?

If the site seemed largely composed of irresponsible people, I would not post there. But the great majority of the auto forums I've come across have been like this one, full of helpful information and good people.

I hope to soon introduce a new section of my site that will stress how helpful forums like this one can be, including links to helpful threads.

Interesting site that really does provide some good data about the different brands.

Glad you like it, thanks for the compliment.

Because so many people have signed up to help, the 2002, 2003, and 2006 are now included in the main survey. That said, more participants are very much needed:

Auto reliability research -- need more Explorers!

The new section I mentioned earlier compiled the common repairs for a model. Anyone entering a common repair can include a link to a forum thread discussing the repair. This could help increase the visibility of this forum.

Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb)

Updated results in a few weeks. The Explorer won't be in this set, but as long as enough people participate it will be in the next set, in May.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had a great January, with nearly 5,000 responses to the survey.

The sample size remains marginal for the Explorer to make it into the May results. A few more participants could make the difference.

Vehicle reliability research

Back