Ford explorer to keep or sell ... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer to keep or sell ...

Recall is 1 replacement. You should not ha e any issues with it again.

Ford found the manufacturing of them was wrong (boards were manufactured incorrectly, wrong angle so connections were not soddered properly).

Once thus was found, it was corrected and Ford offered 1 replacement in case you had a bad one and it will be replaced with a proper made one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the message guys,
Hopefully by next week I shall have the car with me.
I don't think I will be keeping this car for long but till the time I have, I shall be an active member here.. .. I shall keep you guys posted once I have the car.

Unfortunately I am getting ready to sell my 2011 with almost 100k miles. 3 months ago the dealership made the software update. That time it happened in the middle of nowhere, I had to get it towed, it was a huge inconvenience since we were in vacation.

Note: The Ex is our third car and gets used very little, its our weekend warrior since my job gives me a company car. I drove it probably 500 miles since December.

Today it happened again, we were going up to ski in Flagstaff. Had to turn around half way there. The Ex is at the dealership, regardless of what they fix and tell, I can't trust this car anymore. Waste of my time, waste of my money. I don't feel safe.

It is really sad because I really liked this car and I thought it was pretty awesome, but something as MAJOR as this it's a complete deal killer.

Unfortunately I am getting ready to sell my 2011 with almost 100k miles. 3 months ago the dealership made the software update. That time it happened in the middle of nowhere, I had to get it towed, it was a huge inconvenience since we were in vacation.

Note: The Ex is our third car and gets used very little, its our weekend warrior since my job gives me a company car. I drove it probably 500 miles since December.

Today it happened again, we were going up to ski in Flagstaff. Had to turn around half way there. The Ex is at the dealership, regardless of what they fix and tell, I can't trust this car anymore. Waste of my time, waste of my money. I don't feel safe.

It is really sad because I really liked this car and I thought it was pretty awesome, but something as MAJOR as this it's a complete deal killer.

I am surprised that you actually drove 100k miles and the fault just started now....
Try to put your VIN to see if there is any recall for the power steering. It should be done for free.

I am surprised that you actually drove 100k miles and the fault just started now....
Try to put your VIN to see if there is any recall for the power steering. It should be done for free.
The warranty extension is outlined in the link of post #10.

Peter

The warranty extension is outlined in the link of post #10.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I see that and I am pretty sure mine is covered this time around, but I don't think I want to deal with this kind of unreliability in the future.

Hi guys,
I got my car today after 2 weeks. There was a list of items which were replaced with rack and pinion being the major component. They said I have 6 months warranty and after that I am on my own...
I would like to thank this forum for making me aware of this recall and helping me in claiming it.

I just hope I don't have to deal with this problem again ... is there anyway of checking this new rack and pinion is from the good batch?

Rack and pinion were replaced at no cost. I got my explorer back, came home to drop off my personal items and went straight to the dealership and traded it in.
I was about to close on a truck, I have been truck shopping for over a month, and last Monday I found the truck I wanted, I was thinking to close the deal on Friday after my ski trip.
Then Thursday happened and half way to my ski trip the lights on the Ec came on and turned around and went straight to the dealer since I knew what it was.
Thursday night, I decided the easiest way will be to trade it in the Ex and forget this car.
The idea was to keep the Ex for many more years and many more miles, I took such a good care of it, but it didn’t take care of me. I can’t ever trust this car anymore. Sad to see it go.

Unlucky.. Out of all the replacements, I have only read about 3 people having the problem reoccur again...

Hi guys,
I got my car today after 2 weeks. There was a list of items which were replaced with rack and pinion being the major component. They said I have 6 months warranty and after that I am on my own...
I would like to thank this forum for making me aware of this recall and helping me in claiming it.

I just hope I don't have to deal with this problem again ... is there anyway of checking this new rack and pinion is from the good batch?

So $6,000 turned into a free repair... AWESOME!!

I really don't think you will have any issues now with it. Glad it all worked out for you and hope you can enjoy it now going forward. I have 124,000 miles on my 11 and we still love ours. We will be getting a new one (edge, explorer or Nautilus) in the next year or two.

Could you post the work order so we could see what they replaced?

i am not sure what is relevant but i will type it all

job no:3 vehicle health check for technicians

job no:4 CHECK POWER STEERING, STEERING MATIGAS
checked visual inspecion ok, checked DTC code using IDS indicate found DTC-PSCM, steering shaft torque sensor 1 and 2 , checked oasis found FSA safety recall (S1404). Follow procedure on OASIS, need to replace rack and pinion assembly

Job No:5 TRACTION LIGHT ON
performed self test using IDS found DTC, performed deleted DTC using IDS found some traction light on cleared, But have retrieved DTC related to job 4.

Jon no:6 INSTALLATION OF RACK AND PINION
installation of Rack and Pinion
removed all connectors
removed all bolt nut
removed stablink bolt
check new parts
performed TPMS

check DTC'S . Replace steering gear, check and adjust T Toe - no function

Yup.. so they call it rack and pinion but it is indeed the steering rack as listed at the end of your typing. Their choice of terminology is what was making it confusing.

You should be good to go now.

Still don't understand how they throw out a 6k estimate on a $1,800 repair nor gow they try to chsrge you for a repair stating the recall doesnt even cover you.

Ughh.. so hard to find a good honest dealer.

I'm glad it all worked out.. now enjoy the vehicle.

Thanks.. I think this thread is done :D but I do have another problem... let me make a new thread :D

Well I have had many cars in the past with all different brands... cars do break down.. There is no car which will last you forever. But I think with the Ford explorer being an upper tier model, The buyers expect something more reliable..
Even the range Rover has so many problems but they still sell...
At this moment I can only say is that I got everything done for free.. I can't complain much. And where there are few of us complaining about the explorers, there are thousands of them driving on the road without problems. companies do make mistakes, look at Apple , look at Samsung ... but obviously if this problem comes back again, then I will be willingly putting all the blame on Ford. But for now things look good.

You could say Ford and the consumer is to blame. They know full well every little issue these vehicles have and don't fix them because they continue to sell. If they were not selling, Ford would have to look into why and make changes to keep the line profitable. Obviously the market is telling Ford people will still pay $30,000-$90,000 for one despite the known issues. Yours is a 2012, and 5 years later the 2017 still have a recall for loss of steering??

There was no physical recall issued. There were TSBs or FSAs issued for the steering. Ford notified customers to bring your Ex in for free to have a software update done to try to prevent it from failing. They still failed after the update and Ford issued another updated TSB/FSA that stated if a customer has a failure, Ford will cover it for 10years or 150,000 miles.

So no, they do not have a recall 5 years later. All customers in the 11-12MY and possibly early 13s (I believe) have a warranty extension. So if it DOES fail within the 10/150k, it is replaced.

I believe this to be his problem for the majority of the issues and the dealer was not diagnosing properly. Heck, as stated, they were trying to quote him $6,000 until I provided all the info to the OP in which he challenged the dealer and got it all done for free.

Also as stated, this should be the end of it. Early on, people were still having the replacements fail due to what I believe was Ford not knowing where the bad batch ended and good batch began. My replacement failed within 40 miles of driving away from the dealer and they replaced it again with no issues since.

This would not deter me from keeping it due to the EPAS.

As far as the carbon monoxide, it has already been proven that the majority of these issues were PIUs and were caused by faulty upfitters. We aren't going to turn this thread into a carbon monoxide debate. Fact is, most consumer models do not have the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like a lot of miles for a third car that gets used very little. But I agree, sounds like a deal killer.

Back