Ford Explorer transmission problem with a hard shifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer transmission problem with a hard shifting

wdale

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 4-dr V8 Limited
The Explorer's adaptive transmission "learns" incorrectly, resulting in HARD SHIFTS and at the WRONG TIMES. This occurs after driving in hilly country, which happens to be where I live. Of course, the adaptiveness /learning is controlled by the logic in a software module. The problem is that the dealer will not update/replace the software (under warranty) with the most recent version unless there is a diagnostic indication of some kind. And it's doubtful that the new software would fix the problem. Of course, there is no diagnostic indication, likely because the software in question would have to generate it. In addition, it's possible, since this problem has been going on for a decade (see the forums) that Ford can't actually fix it; and, they don't want to program the software so that the transmission just behaves like a non-adaptive transmission because that would be an admission that they have been wrong all along. Is anyone else interested in doing something about this???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome wdale

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT and have noticed that while traveling 70mph+, the transmission will have a very hard shift while downshifting up hills. I do not live in a hilly area so have only noticed this while on trips to the East and West coast. I have taken it in each time and due to no code being generated and no updates available from Ford, there is no way for them to diagnose. The service manager did agree that it should be looked at further and has agreed to take the vehicle for a longer period of time once the weather is more permitting.
I will share any findings as I probably am not alone.

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT and have noticed that while traveling 70mph+, the transmission will have a very hard shift while downshifting up hills. I do not live in a hilly area so have only noticed this while on trips to the East and West coast. I have taken it in each time and due to no code being generated and no updates available from Ford, there is no way for them to diagnose. The service manager did agree that it should be looked at further and has agreed to take the vehicle for a longer period of time once the weather is more permitting.
I will share any findings as I probably am not alone.

Let me know the next time you head in to the dealership, JMeehan328; I'll get your regional customer service manager involved so they can assist. When the time comes, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info. I'll do the rest. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back