Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP) | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I just bought one online from Troy Ford. 7 year premium 125k miles for $1980. That's 201,000km for all my Canuck brothers. I was quoted twice that amount from dealers here in Canada. That's 300 a year for peace of mind. I'll take that any day. That includes first day rental.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey gang, is it advantageous to purchase the plan with low miles (mine has 700) or will the quote increase as you get closer to the end of the factory included warranty? thanks

$200 surcharge if you buy it after 1yr/12,000 miles.

My dealer matched the best quote I had gotten online. I would rather they make the buck and they would rather make a little something as opposed to nothing.

I would rather buy from a dealer that publicly offers a low price 100% of the time then a dealer that tries to screw me over on the price only to "price match" it when I bring in a cheaper price.

Give me a fair upfront price for both of us or lose my busineas. That simple.

Each to their own....

I'd rather buy from the dealer I use and trust. I don't fault them for starting at MSRP on this stuff...... showed them the other pricing I found and they matched it without question. If there are problems I know they will take care of it.

Extended Warranty WARNING

Buy one of these at your own risk. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM WARRANTY DIRECT!
The problem with these "extended warranties" is that when it comes down to what they pay for, it usually means they will pay for the part that fails. Any cost to get to the failed part is your responsibility. Also the warranty company is VERY good at deciding that the part that failed is not covered under your plan. Generally these plans are a GIANT RIPOFF and should be avoided at all costs.
Remember you are not buying insurance. You are buying pre-paid repair costs and the warranty company must collect more money than they pay out or they go broke!

Bottom Line--I would run as fast as possible in the other direction!

Buy one of these at your own risk. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM WARRANTY DIRECT!
The problem with these "extended warranties" is that when it comes down to what they pay for, it usually means they will pay for the part that fails. Any cost to get to the failed part is your responsibility. Also the warranty company is VERY good at deciding that the part that failed is not covered under your plan. Generally these plans are a GIANT RIPOFF and should be avoided at all costs.
Remember you are not buying insurance. You are buying pre-paid repair costs and the warranty company must collect more money than they pay out or they go broke!

Bottom Line--I would run as fast as possible in the other direction!

Is this a common mindset here? Are ESP's really tilted toward ripping us off? I have never purchased one, and have had the luck of some very reliable cars over the years. This is my first Ford, and the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned, but I found some vile info at:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/ford-premium-esp-extended-warranty-c237731.html

I feel that Ford would be rolling the dice big time to trade a couple thousand dollars for an ESP, instead of having a Ford owner for life. I haven't found complaints with the BBB, but if the comments I read are true, I would be out the cost of the ESP in ADDITION to the cost of repairs.....premium plan included.

I had a problem with 300 miles on my Ex that needed a week to cure, and the regional service manager contacted me and gave me an unsolicited 3 year comprehensive service plan for my trouble as an act of good faith. This seems like an action of a reputable company that cares about keeping its customers.

ESP's are like any product - only as good as the company backing them !

I would only buy a Manufacturers extended warranty - never a third party...

Even though I went to fd-warranty.com they sell only mfg warranties...

I've actually had good luck with extended warranties... mostly from peace of mind and coverage of large items over the years...

I will say this, you DO have to do the regular maint. to get coverage, after all if you never changed your oil in 100,000 miles would you expect them to pay for a new engine ?!? I think not !

Just saw this at troyfordwarranty.com. I guess this means I shouldn't expect any kind of negotiating or discounts since I'm buying in FL?

Q: Why is their special pricing for Florida customers?

A: The State of Florida considers extended service plans for automobiles a type of insurance plan. Therefore, the State of Florida requires Ford Motor Company to sell all extended service plans at a set price. We cannot discount the price of a Ford ESP to a Florida customer. Every Ford dealer must sell plans at the prices you find on this website. We can however offer Florida customers a no charge 11 month payment plan. We also do not charge Florida sales tax as we are located in the State of Ohio.

Ext Warranty

I bought my 2013 Explorer XLT in Novemeber 2012 brand new. I had no problem getting my 7 yr/100,000 mile (ESP)premium Ext warranty for $1295 with $100.00 deductable. I thought it was an OK deal. I do not know if it had anything to do with it but I have been a customer of there's for a very long time. I live in Northwest, Ohio

I bought my 2013 Explorer XLT in Novemeber 2012 brand new. I had no problem getting my 7 yr/100,000 mile (ESP)premium Ext warranty for $1295. I live in Northwest, Ohio

I'm assuming 2wd and $100 deductible?? Need to know details to know if it was a good deal.

BLWNSMOKE

All I did was research on the internet and found www.lombardfordwarrantys.com out of NJ I think. I put in my car info and got a price. After about 1 day I got a reduced price from them in my email. I then took a copy of there price they quoted me to the dealer (did not show them) told the guy I have researched the ESP plans and I want your best price or I am going with another Ford dealer. He quoted me a price, I told him mine was a little cheaper, he then asked what it was. I told him and he beat it by $15.00 dollars then. They are real fexible on the ESP plan if you buy it when you get your car or before your original warranty is up.

You may want to check this site because I seen a couple comments about some sites that sell ESP plans and they sounded really good.

Yes mine is 2WD and $100 deductable.

ESP Plan

The Ford E.S.P. plan is well worth it from my experience. It has always MORE than paid for itself on every car we have had one with. I have never had a problem with Ford honoring it or trying to get out of paying for a repair. They have always been great with me.:thumbsup:

Sgtdon, same esp is $1,135 at flood ford esp. Flood is generally the cheapest online dealer except for who I go through. His price is a hair more then flood but 1st day rental is included which if you add that to flood, you pay more. My contact sells them $100 over cost.

That is a good deal! Mine also had first day rental too. I may have paid a couple dollars more but I get really good service from them and they always take care of me so the couple extra dollars is worth it. :D

That is a good deal! Mine also had first day rental too. I may have paid a couple dollars more but I get really good service from them and they always take care of me so the couple extra dollars is worth it. :D

$1,135 doesn't include 1st day rental so you are pretty even with Flood once they add it in. Great price for you!! Can't really do much better.

Enjoy your Ex.

Warranty Cost

I just bought a 2013 limited with 26k miles on it. I got the dealer down to $1000 for a 6/100 warranty. Go see a dealer and beat them up till they come down!

If you buy it over 12,000 miles but under 36,000 miles, you pay a higher price. It's the cheaper price from new up to 12,000 miles.

Ok, now that most of us are 2.5 years or more into our 2011 Explorers has anyone actually had a blown Sync system or is glad they purchased the ESP beyond peace of mind?

I've had 2 issues so far outside my 3yr/36k warranty. First was the oil in the intake tube which was covered by my ESP and Ford agreed to waive the deductible. Second issue which I haven't had fixed yet is for the front air vents being cold on one side and hot on the other (some mechanical door inside the dash).

I'm guessing the first repair would have been $200-$250 and this 2nd repair would be somewhere around $150-$200 for parts/labor.

Am I happy I bought it.. yes.. even if nothing ever happened, I don't like the chance of repair bills while I'm making a vehicle payment. Plus 1st day rental is huge for me.. To drop off a car for service and not have a spare for my wife and 2 kids is a huge issue.

I've had 2 issues so far outside my 3yr/36k warranty. First was the oil in the intake tube which was covered by my ESP and Ford agreed to waive the deductible. Second issue which I haven't had fixed yet is for the front air vents being cold on one side and hot on the other (some mechanical door inside the dash).

I'm guessing the first repair would have been $200-$250 and this 2nd repair would be somewhere around $150-$200 for parts/labor.

Am I happy I bought it.. yes.. even if nothing ever happened, I don't like the chance of repair bills while I'm making a vehicle payment. Plus 1st day rental is huge for me.. To drop off a car for service and not have a spare for my wife and 2 kids is a huge issue.

Thanks for the feedback smoke. I think I'm in. My wife has a Honda Odyssey getting ready to go out of 3/36 (no flames please):( and I was researching the "Honda Care" program as well... that seems to be a sham. When I have taken her van in (numerous times) the mechanic can't do anything without a computer code so that thing just burps a wheezes down the road. Anyhow I'm just a little skeptical after my honda nightmares. But I digress and apples and oranges. When you look through all the Ford ESP gripe posts, you come up with one poor slob that had a silicon gasket leak on an F-250 that a service manager would not honor. Ford would not honor because the silicone was not a "part". I think ESP sounds like it may be worth it but the sync "bogeyman" does not sound like it has appeared yet. I love my Explorer. Ford, don't let us down:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the feedback smoke. I think I'm in. My wife has a Honda Odyssey getting ready to go out of 3/36 (no flames please):( and I was researching the "Honda Care" program as well... that seems to be a sham. When I have taken her van in (numerous times) the mechanic can't do anything without a computer code so that thing just burps a wheezes down the road. Anyhow I'm just a little skeptical after my honda nightmares. But I digress and apples and oranges. When you look through all the Ford ESP gripe posts, you come up with one poor slob that had a silicon gasket leak on an F-250 that a service manager would not honor. Ford would not honor because the silicone was not a "part". I think ESP sounds like it may be worth it but the sync "bogeyman" does not sound like it has appeared yet. I love my Explorer. Ford, don't let us down:usa:

Well gaskets aren't covered under an ESP.. so that persons arguement can be thrown away.. it clearly says it.

One of the scare factors for me was the whole power steering issue. Being that it costs more to replace it then the cost of the ESP, it was peace of mind. I feel I'm about 1/3 of the cost recovered between the 2 repairs and I still have 75,000 more miles of coverage.

Back