Ford Goes Cheap With Halogen Over HID On 2017 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Goes Cheap With Halogen Over HID On 2017

soloxx

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer LTD
Recently took delivery of a 2017 Limited with all package options beside 2nd row buckets. Traded in my 2012 Limited. I won't bother going over the other niggles I have with the new car (cheapiness), but the fact that they dropped HID headlamps from the car in favor of LED lows and very yellow (and useless) halogen highs reeks of cost cutting .

Had I known of the change I would have definitely looked elsewhere. Anyone else blindsided or perturbed by this backslide? What's really sad is that you can order HID's on the 2017 Escape. Of course, Ford has not responded to my email(s) regarding their rationale.

If you're in the market for a new Explorer, and live in a rural area, this is one big factor you might want to consider in your choice of a new vehicle. Woulda, coulda, shoulda stayed with my (in most regards) superior 2012 Limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This really should not have been too much of a surprise since this headlight combination was introduced with the 2016 models. It was also discussed in a thread on the Forum. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2016-2017-explorer-headlight-question.434073/
I have read several articles, including the brochure that mentioned the change.
The 2017 Order Guide shows;

Headlamps
— LED Low Beams with Courtesy Delay
— Halogen Reflector High Beams
— Wiper-Activated

BTW, your profile still shows 2012 Explorer.

Peter

Ford Goes Cheap With Halogen Over HID On 2017 Limited

Recently took delivery of a 2017 Limited with all package options beside 2nd row buckets. Traded in my 2012 Limited. I won't bother going over the other niggles I have with the new car (cheapiness), but the fact that they dropped HID headlamps from the car in favor of LED lows and very yellow (and useless) halogen highs reeks of cost cutting .

Had I known of the change I would have definitely looked elsewhere. Anyone else blindsided or perturbed by this backslide? What's really sad is that you can order HID's on the 2017 Escape. Of course, Ford has not responded to my email(s) regarding their rationale.

If you're in the market for a new Explorer, and live in a rural area, this is one big factor you might want to consider in your choice of a new vehicle. Woulda, coulda, shoulda stayed with my (in most regards) superior 2012 Limited.

Blindsided??? Wth?? So it has been well known for 2 years.. on 2 model years, discussed on forums and you were blind sided? Holy hell, over exaggerate much?

Going from HID to LED is not what I'd consider cost cutting but I am also somewhat perplexed why the high beams are halogen. Many manufacturers are now going the LED route. If I end up with that current combination I would try it out first and if I'm not happy with the result I'll try swapping out the high beam halogen with a better bulb. Any colour variance won't both me since I don't have to look at them while driving. FYI, I live in a semi rural area.

Peter

some of you older guy's remember headlights being Incandescent? I Laugh at people now who think halogen is "Useless"

some of you older guy's remember headlights being Incandescent? I Laugh at people now who think halogen is "Useless"
I have a couple of these laying around as 'spares'.

Peter

PB200308_001.JPG

As a young car enthusiast, I don't see Ford being cheap with the high beams. What they did was take a good design from 11 - 15 and made it even better (if only quality was better but oh well...) You used to only be able to get HID headlamps on a 2011 - 15 with a Limited 302A package which is top of the line expensive. The rest were Halogens.

To put LED lights, even on the base model and Interceptor models is definitely not a cheap move. At the end of the day, you can easily swap out the Halogen high beams with an LED/ HID bulb.

If you look at 2000 - 2010, and the model years after that, Ford has done an amazing job combining tech, luxury, power, and economy in all of their cars where you'd usually have to go to BMW, Volvo, or Mercedes for that level of tech. I think the Platinum model of this vehicle has an amazing blend of performance, and luxury for the price (If only they added magneride or an air suspension, that'd be so awesome).

If you check the competition like the Chevy Tahoe, they don't even provide HIDs standard. Neither does the Jeep. And none of them have LED headlamps. The only ones who have them besides Ford are luxury vehicle makers.

Just swap the Halogens with HIDs or LEDs.

Honestly, the cheapest part about this car is the suspension. Magneride or air suspension would be great.

I have to agree with the original poster on this one. I, too, would be surprised/disappointed to see the Limited "regressing" in technology. Sorry to hear you didn't catch it before your purchase. Buyer beware...

As a young car enthusiast, I don't see Ford being cheap with the high beams. What they did was take a good design from 11 - 15 and made it even better (if only quality was better but oh well...) You used to only be able to get HID headlamps on a 2011 - 15 with a Limited 302A package which is top of the line expensive. The rest were Halogens.

To put LED lights, even on the base model and Interceptor models is definitely not a cheap move. At the end of the day, you can easily swap out the Halogen high beams with an LED/ HID bulb.

If you look at 2000 - 2010, and the model years after that, Ford has done an amazing job combining tech, luxury, power, and economy in all of their cars where you'd usually have to go to BMW, Volvo, or Mercedes for that level of tech. I think the Platinum model of this vehicle has an amazing blend of performance, and luxury for the price (If only they added magneride or an air suspension, that'd be so awesome).

If you check the competition like the Chevy Tahoe, they don't even provide HIDs standard. Neither does the Jeep. And none of them have LED headlamps. The only ones who have them besides Ford are luxury vehicle makers.

Just swap the Halogens with HIDs or LEDs.

Honestly, the cheapest part about this car is the suspension. Magneride or air suspension would be great.

Even the M-Class (Now GLE) and GL-Class (Now GLS) Mercedes have halogen lamps. Pay extra for the quad-led ones.

I have the 302A package on my 2013 and I can tell a big difference between my HID and the low beam LED of the new ones. LED ones can blind the crap out of ya.

Just tonight a 2016 was behind me and his low beam was brighter than my HID low beam. You could see my HID beam in the middle and then this bright light on the sides as I was driving.

I installed a set of LED bulbs in my high beams and all has been well. Color temperature matches the low beams and the light throw is a bit better than the halogens. Cost was about $45. Since then higher lumen bulbs have even become available.

Wow, people expect so much these days, but don't want to pay for it. Either pick the correct option package(s) or know there are MANY aftermarket options out there. To simply state you'd look somewhere else over non-LED fog lamps boggles my mind.
Jon-Stewart-mind-blown.gif

Wow, people expect so much these days, but don't want to pay for it. Either pick the correct option package(s) or know there are MANY aftermarket options out there. To simply state you'd look somewhere else over non-LED fog lamps boggles my mind.
Jon-Stewart-mind-blown.gif

Love the Jimmy Stewart meme! I agree very much with your comment, people expect way too much, especially when they aren't educated in the matter. I think his problem is with the high beams since that is the only thing you cannot get anything besides Halogen.

After rereading his post, I don't understand his logic where he thinks LED lights are cheaper than HIDs. LEDs have a huge advantage when it comes to lumens and power consumption. An HID produces more lumens per watt, but an LED produces more lumens per watt than an HID. The only problem with LEDs is that the LED chips cannot sustain that high of temperatures like the other bulbs so you need to heatsink them.

LEDs are instant on and you can flicker them as much as you want, while an HID or Halogen would suffer if you flick them on and off. That and HIDs take a lot of current to start. This is why I threw away my HIDs in exchange for LEDs. Instant on, takes less current, and I can put my dust cover back on.

Welllll that's a new one.

Halogen bulbs are generally pretty good. Its the sh*t projector that is in use that makes the light output worthless...

I live in a rural area and I use low beam with the lower driving lights on and very seldom use high beams. Lights the road and ditches real good.

I live in a rural area and I use low beam with the lower driving lights on and very seldom use high beams. Lights the road and ditches real good.
Driving lights? If you are referring to the OEM "lower" lights, they are fog lights.;)

Peter

I've had both HID and halogens. HID isn't necessarily superior. Just wait until you need to replace one of the bulbs and/or ballasts.

Ford's high beam reflector design is terrible though.

My 2013 Edge Limited had HID lows with a reflector for high beams. I, too, felt this was a regression going to LED lows, halogen highs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also didn't pay the $150 for the LED foglamp option on my '16, and replaced the crappy yellow foglamp bulb with a cooler (in temperature) LED bulb for $30. Should have come with LED bulbs from the factory.

Back