• Register Today It's free!

Ford in trouble???

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
This may be a load of crap, but my brother works for Chevrolet and he was telling me that Ford is at an all time low in sales and is in trouble financially. He also said that Chevy is out-selling Ford in all truck classes, and that the f-150 is not selling near as well as Ford had thought.

This is what was told to him by his supervisors. By no means is he a reliable source of Ford information, but I am curiouse if Ford is having problems.

I don't believe that any of this is true, but I thought I might get some input from anyone who might know more than I do. Plus my brother is a Chevy fan and might tell me anything bad about Ford to piss me off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does he really work for chevy or is he a sellsman at a dealership?

What car company doesn't have trouble during this time of the year? When you say "Chevy" do you mean Chevy as one make or GM as a whole?

He works for a Chevrolet dealership...he said that the general manager had a meeting where is was said that Chevrolet is having a record breaking season in sales and all of the problems with Ford were also discussed.

I'm not saying any of this is true or reliable, I was just wanting to get some feedback to see if he is or is not blowing smoke up my ass.

All BS.

With the #1 selling F-series and #1 selling SUV and Ford's in trouble? Come on......

Never trust anyone who works at a dealership, they have little more inside knowledge than the average enthusiast.

And he doesn't work for Chevrolet, he works for the dealership ;)

Originally posted by Stephen
And he doesn't work for Chevrolet, he works for the dealership ;)

That is what I was getting at. It sounds like they were trying to load the lips of the sells team in order for them to try and convince buyers that do not know any better to buy a Chevy because more people buy them over a Ford of dodge. Now in some markets Chevy will and does sell more then a ford or a dodge, and that could be the case in the market where he works and maybe the statement was misunderstood. Year after year Ford trucks sell more then Chevy, and most of the time you can add the GMC and Chevy sells together and the Ford still sold more. On the other hand Chevy does sell more full size SUV’s then Ford.

Thats more BS than anything. The new F-150 is selling good according to all the analysts. It's been the most popular truck for more than 2 decades, I doubt they would be having problems selling with the new styling. Ford sold more than 800,000 last year. They are offering cash rebates & no interest loans for the new F-150. As of November, they sold 23,000 of the new Ford F-150.

It is not complete BS. Ford has som problemes with overproduction. It is not gong to break the company. It is only a problem for stockholders and the employees that may get laid off. I believe GM has similar problems. You have to read the finiancial pages of the newspaper to get that info.

I lived in Detroit for 30 years, all of my buddies worked for the big three and lots of them still do. Auto sales ALWAYS drop off this time of year, who has money for a new vehicle after the holidays, plus if you live in the north, you don't want to start out with your new truck on ice and snow. The Ford 150 is the biggest selling vehicle in the WORLD, of any kind. Chevy hasn't beat it in sales for 22 years! In other words, you are getting smoke blown up your ass! The whole thing in sales is to keep your salesforce upbeat and motivated, if you tell them everything is terrible, the competition has us beat, we might as well give up. What do you think is going to happen?

basically you can't believe the enemy about sales.
they maybe were telling the employees that possibly because GM maybe having slow sales and they want the employees to think that other companys are doing just as bad if not worse

actually guys there is some truth to this. I own Ford stock and read all the reports Ford releases.(all public record)

I wouldnt say they are in big trouble, but have seen desent declines in sales. Toyota believe it or not is creeping up big time. Ford is slowly loosing it's buyers and the sales show it!

Yeah Toyota is creeping up, but not to the point that Ford needs to worrie, yet. I was reading a report and it said that if Toyotas sales continue the way they are, and if Chrysler does not pick up the pace Toyota is going to jump into the big 3. To be honest I hope Toyota can do it!

Toyota is already #3. ;)

Ford is worried, Toyota has a #1 selling car, close to having the #1 selling truck and has quite a ways before they have Ford beat when it comes to SUVS.

There are sales figuares all over the net, just do a search.

If things continue the way they are now, there saying Toyota could be #1 in 5 years. They are gaining ground rather quickly.

Originally posted by DonM
Toyota is already #3. ;)

Well I am damn:) They made the pass back in Auguest, thanks for the update!

Originally posted by Stephen
Sure, Ford is worried and rightly so, but theres a difference between being worried and being in financial difficulty.

Stephen your right, there is a difference. But there also is some truth to Ford being in Financial difficulty as well. It depends on how much difficulty their in. ;) Quarterly statments show Ford has slipped and if it continues, their in faily big trouble. Im not saying Ford could go out of bussiness, im just saying they could be in trouble.

"Could" is the key word. Import auto makers are taking over, like it or not it's true.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by squd92expsp
Actually, I just came across this that says that Toyota has taken the #2 spot away from Ford in global sales.

News artical
second arctical

I'll see if I can find more info.

Um yes that is true, but I was speaking on "North America". I guess I should have said that when I posted above. But everyone knew what I was talking about. ;)

Back