Ford Sport Trac timing problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Sport Trac timing problems

Dan95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explore Sport Trac
Hello, So I have a Ford Sport Trac 2001. It started doing a loud rattle and my driver side valve cover cracked. I had some mechanics look at it and after opening it up they found some broken plastic rail pieces and said the timing had jump. They said they couldn't do the job and that it would be expensive to fix. they recommended I find good motor to swap or sell it as it is. Any recommendations of where I can find a motor? Is it even worth fixing?:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20 hours labor alone to pull the engine according to the book. Your looking at least 1000 for an used engine. If you can do it yourself you will come out ahead. You are in luck though, any 4.0l SOHC will work and they came in many models. The newer and lower mileage the better.

If it was the driver's side cam chain guide and tensioner that broke, the chain and it's associated parts can be changed in vehicle. I just did mine. If the timing has jumped, though, you'll need to check the valves and pistons on that bank for damage.

TJSport is correct, the driver's side chain does not require engine removal only the passenger side chain that is in the rear. I just did all the chains on my 04 Explorer last week. I changed both front and rear cassettes, jack chain and balance chain(only on 4x4 models), I also changed water and oil pumps and all the valve lash adjusters. Took me about 20 hours total. In my case the rear cassette broke at the hinge. If you are not mechanically inclined or do not have access to the timing tools I would definitely consider an engine swap especially since you were told your engine jumped time. If it were me though I would look at a rebuilt engine over used. Just my two cents.

remove the head?

. . . I just did all the chains on my 04 Explorer last week. I changed both front and rear cassettes, jack chain and balance chain . . .

Did you have to remove the head in order to replace the front cassette guide? I'm trying to determine what year the head or block casting was changed reducing the clearance available to remove/install the cassette guide.

No I did not remove the head but there is a clearance issue. The head sits a little forward on the block. I ended up breaking the cassette to get it out and used a die grinder to remove a little bit of material from the head to get the added clearance I needed to get the new cassette in.

Back