Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
Ford to beef up engine for F-150

Automaker is developing V-8 powerplant for popular pickup that will dwarf rivals

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

Responding to the auto industry’s escalating horsepower wars — including Chrysler’s popular Hemi engine — Ford Motor Co. is developing a larger, more powerful V-8 engine for its top-selling F-150 pickup line.

The engine’s 6.2-liter displacement will dwarf Ford’s biggest V-8 offering — the 300-hp 5.4-liter Triton V-8 — as well as rivals from Chevrolet, Nissan and Dodge, including the 5.7-liter 340-hp Hemi.

Ford declined to comment on the project, but suppliers are already bidding to provide components for the engine, according to documents obtained by The Detroit News.

Ford has not decided where to build the engine known internally as Hurricane.

Despite rising gasoline prices, the Hurricane project is “somewhat overdue,†Global Insight market analyst John Wolkonowicz said.

“In trucks, it’s all about bragging rights,†Wolkonowicz said.

The full-size truck market has become a major battleground for Detroit automakers, with Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and GMC facing new competition from formidable Toyota Motor Co.p. and Nissan Motor Co. entries.

Demand for the 345-horsepower Hemi has soared since DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group revived the legendary engine two years ago.

More than 60 percent of all Dodge Durango sport utility vehicles are now sold with a Hemi engine, and Chrysler is now using it on large, rear-wheel drive passenger cars.

The Hurricane project is another sign Ford is back on solid financial ground. Analysts say the project was probably delayed when the automaker posted losses of $6.4 billion over 2001 and 2002.

Helped by steep cost reductions and lower operating costs, Ford is on track to earn pre-tax profits of $7 billion by mid-decade.

“Now that things are looking up a little bit, they’re starting to prioritize some of those things that got put on the back burner before,†Wolkonowicz said.

The Hurricane project comes as Ford is rolling out 11 new engines and transmissions to bolster its powertrain lineup.

Ford dealers are eager to sell a more powerful engine. Like the Triton V-8, the new engine will feature advanced technology to limit harmful emisions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is awesome. I cant wait till iut arrives. I just saw the new F-250 and 350's today for 2005. They are amazing. definetly check them out.

I'd like to see them stuff it in a big car, like the Maurader, or the Mustang if it'll fit.

I am sure it will come to that. Those new stangs could waste a corvette like pie with one of those babies.

I'm pretty sure the new Stangs could waste the Vette, or come real close, with what they've got right now. All Ford needs now for the Stangs is the 28mpg Vettes get. How do they do that?! Anyways that engine will kick some major ass!

Hmmm, my Dad should be looking for a new truck soon. I'm thinking a 6.2L V8 plus my heavy foot if a good combo if I do say so myself! :D

Good to see that Ford is finally expanding their drivetrain line-up. Have two small V8s doesn't cut it in this day and age.

sonik said:
I'd like to see them stuff it in a big car, like the Maurader, or the Mustang if it'll fit.

Unfortunatly they just anounced that there canning the Maurader :rolleyes:

Is there an estimated MPG for this 6.2L ? Hopefully itll get better than 12-14 that the HEMI gets...
A company next to my work uses the new 300C with the Hemi as work cars... they detuned them.. and average 25 highway... of course it weighs alot less than the Ram...

Shane

Perfect timing as gas heads towards $3 Gal. Did I read somewhere that the vette gets good gas mileage by using the old GM trick of shutting down cylinders when not in hard driving use - ala old Cadillac, I believe one other newer GM vehicle is using it also.

No..the Vette does not use cylinder deactivation right now but the C6 might, I've heard. Right now, the Vette gets its mileage from great gearing, torque, and low weight. The new Chrysler 300C, however, does use cylinder deactivation. N2MUDN, I'd love to know how they detuned that engine already, the 300C's only been on sale for like two months.

Wonder what kind of power Ford will put behind that 6.2? They've never been one to take the lead in HP, they always just play catch up. Case in point, the Mustang vs the Camaro forever. The Explorer now. Etc, etc etc

The way I look at it is they stand back and wait to see the problem areas and then improve on them and then beat the other. But usually by that time the other company already has something better out :rolleyes:

wow, that just made my day hearing that they are developing a 6.2 liter!

can't wait to see it

With Ford developing 11 new engines and transmissions can we finally get a good engine for the X, my 4.0 OHV is slow and I thought I'd love driving my bosses 2003 with the 4.6 but I was not impressed, it was faster but not by enough to care.

The one thing I always had against Japanese SUVs was that they are too small and carlike with undersized engines but after driving a Murano I loved it and the new Pathfinder is supposed to be getting a 270 hp I6 (no more supercharger on it). What is ford bringing to the game????

Our Mach 1 gets 17MPG City and 27HWy... and runs low 13s :D Not too shabby. The truck will probably get 9 - 12 MPG.

The 2004 Supercharged Cobra's barely pull low 14's here! But i think the alltitude has alot to do with that.

Cobra's are regularly running in the 12s here stock.

JTX said:
The 2004 Supercharged Cobra's barely pull low 14's here! But i think the alltitude has alot to do with that.
And driving.

Why the hell would someone want a big gas V8? Isn't that what the Power Stroke is for? Cheaper fuel, simpler, more power? A 4.6 is fine, but not a 6.2. Reminds me too much of crappy Chevy diesels anyway.

Or for Dodge, the Cummins? I'd take a Durango with a Cummins.

I heard Ford is gonna have a 4.5L Power Stroke. Wouldn't it be logical to offer that in F150s? Might be on the small side compared to the 5.4 though, so it might not work out right cuz it would probably cost more than the 5.4, but not put out as much power, so it would be between the 5.4 and the 4.6.

Diesel isn't cheap in a lot of places. Out on the west coast, diesel is running more than premium gas I believe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robb said:
Diesel isn't cheap in a lot of places. Out on the west coast, diesel is running more than premium gas I believe.
Here it's the same price as normal unleaded.

I say use a smaller engine if it'll make as much power, or more, as the bigger engine. I would never take a new Durango over a pre-04. Those things are BUTT UGLY!

Back