• Register Today It's free!

Forgotten but not lost

grumpenstein

Reaction score
City, State
palm city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer XLT 4X4
Greetings, 7 months ago I started a timing gear project on my 04 Explorer 4X4 with a 4.0. I wound up replacing all the chains front and rear, took some pics along the way,(not enough) and reinstalled the motor back in the truck, then I became ill and had to tarp it over for another time and that time is now. Unfortunately I have forgotten how to reconnect hoses, wires, ect.
Not all of it but some, is there a parts diagram set or other that might help me as a reference??
Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you post some pictures of where you are at now?

Greetings, 7 months ago I started a timing gear project on my 04 Explorer 4X4 with a 4.0. I wound up replacing all the chains front and rear, took some pics along the way,(not enough) and reinstalled the motor back in the truck, then I became ill and had to tarp it over for another time and that time is now. Unfortunately I have forgotten how to reconnect hoses, wires, ect.
Not all of it but some, is there a parts diagram set or other that might help me as a reference??
Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

20191126_132847.jpg

20191126_132913.jpg

20191126_132921.jpg

20191126_132934.jpg

20191126_132958.jpg

20191126_132947.jpg

I hope this posts correctly. The main things I want to know is which bolts are for the starter, which bolts hold what, small hose and wire placement. Really a parts breakdown would be nice or some kink of illustration? Any help ,thanks in advance.

It looks like your down to hooking everything up. I don't have any diagrams but can describe what you need to do.

Take all bolts that you don't know where they go and organize them on the table and group like bolts. This will help the process of elimination.

There are 7 transmission bolts, 2 bolts may be longer and go in the holes with the dowels / mid way up.

There are 2 starter bolts, one of which has a stud on it for the ground to attach to. Make sure you have all 4 torque converter nuts on and tight before you but the starter on.

The power harness that goes to the alternator goes behind the drivers side accessory bracket, make sure that goes on first.

Once you get all that done you can start laying the harness over the engine and matching it up. It will pretty much lay where it needs to go.

Take pictures wherever you get stuck and we can try to help.

Ahhh and a nice new water pump
Good job

Thanks, You answered some right there!
I have a thin metal 2 hole bracket just above the bellhousing, do the top 2 transmission bolts hold this bracket?

Yes, it holds the fuel and tank vapor lines

Seemed like a stretch for the top two but that's all that had the pattern, had to ask. Thanks, I'm sure I'll ask more as soon as I get back to it.

Pretty sure all the transmission bolts on those are the same length. If there's 2 that are longer they usually go in the hole with the dowels.

Pretty sure all the transmission bolts on those are the same length. If there's 2 that are longer they usually go in the hole with the dowels.
Thanks for the reply.
Gonna try to get back at it tomorrow.

Exhaust pipes and wire harness reattached but before I replace the upper intake , what is the small bolt in the center sitting vertical under the upper intake. Thanks

Back