• Register Today It's free!

Fort Wayne Drive Shaft - ordered

Tike

Reaction score
City, State
Greater Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Ford Sport Trac XLT
just bought the drive shaft should be here in a couple weeks.
having my t-case rear output seal replaced too as its leaking.
debating having them put the drive shaft in or not... i know it just bolts up but nervous about possible damaging it... but then again i rather do it myself and know its done right then trust a random mech.

anyone have a write up or advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rear case seal needs to be done by someone that knows what they are doing. The driveshaft install is simple, proper torque on bolts and loctite is a must but other than that it's straight forward. I've installed one and I'm near positive they include the torque specs on a paper that comes in the package with the new front bolts. There is a slight bit of side to side play in the carrier bearing bolt/mount, just make sure the driveline is straight when you tighten it down.

The rear case seal needs to be done by someone that knows what they are doing. The driveshaft install is simple, proper torque on bolts and loctite is a must but other than that it's straight forward. I've installed one and I'm near positive they include the torque specs on a paper that comes in the package with the new front bolts. There is a slight bit of side to side play in the carrier bearing bolt/mount, just make sure the driveline is straight when you tighten it down.

slight bit of play until your torque the bolts for it down or just in general.

The holes are slightly bigger than the studs that go through. The carrier bearing can move side to side about a 1/2" to help align the shaft straight. Once it's tight it's tight. Much more beef setup than the factory bearing.

Back