• Register Today It's free!

Found a used Motor, but........??

ernzo

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Been struggling with this bearing knock, getting worse, so used motor time.

Found a 92 ranger 4.0 OHV with 91,000, guy bought the vehicle running and pulled out the motor to convert to electric, which he did.

This is a retired mechanic, motor is at his house on a dolly.

He will guarantee it, anything I can check for other than the typical visual, maybe get a motor oil screening done?

$375.00 is the cost, installed for $600.00 so about a grand for the project.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!!!:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I were you Id still drop your pan and check for play in the bearings before you drop the money on a new motor.

I would put a new oil pump and pan gasket, rear seal, and valve cover gaskets while it is out.

Thanks guys, Masterd, I will have to have someone do the work and I am thinking that even though the motor is out for the pan pull bearing check, I may as well replace the motor with the 91,000 (verifiable as the Ranger is still owned by the seller, he converted it to electric..) as mine is 170,000 currently. I had though about a quick and dirty bearing check replacement but was talked out of it, what do you think?

Unclemeat... I like your ideas about the gaskets, great advice and you also say oil pump? IS that because it is really only accessible with the motor out, therefore go for it or are they known to be weak?

Best to get a master gasket set when you get a used motor because then you have a chance to look at everything in the motor. You replace the oil pump because you cannot clean them out and its good to get any contamination outta there. Should replace the thermostat and water pump too.
The price is right though that's for sure..

Either way would work...new motor would be nice, but Id for sure at least chec the bearings on the old motor, because they might not be the issue at all.

Yea, I will check the bearings good idea. Got a good source for the noil pump? Autozone?

Id go to the dealer and get a pump there...not sure id trust autozone for an oil pump

$375 for a used motor with supposedly 97K on it. He's full of #$%^(unsure on swearing) about the mileage. Either someone who never drove owned it or he's lying. There's this one place on ebay selling suposedly new 4.0 OHV's. Something with the heads coming off another rig though. About $1200. I'd buzz them and see what the story is on that.

$375 for a used motor with supposedly 97K on it. He's full of #$%^(unsure on swearing) about the mileage. Either someone who never drove owned it or he's lying. There's this one place on ebay selling suposedly new 4.0 OHV's. Something with the heads coming off another rig though. About $1200. I'd buzz them and see what the story is on that.

didnt he say the guy took it out to convert the truck to electric? if so then im sure the mileage is true and as for the price.. well not everyone feels the need to scalp for every penny they can.
</rant>
:)

Yea, the mileage seemed low, but the guy was a real fastidious guy and had the actual ranger that it came out of that he converted to electric, so we had the vin number and mileage statement.

Motor in, runs great, working out the kinks now.

Back