Found the stang - now what? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found the stang - now what?

Hey guys - found the stang - a '94 coupe with manual tranny. I noticed these are stock 215hp and at best 3.27 gears. Question is this - on the 5.0, what are the quickest mods to get the hp number higher? I am going to add new exhaust and air filter right out of the box, as well as plugs, wires and so on. Come January/February I will be adding a blower. Is a chip a good move at this point? I would like to grab another 50-100 hp before rebuilding the bottom half.

Also - how easy is a cam swap? Does the block need to be pulled?

Thanks for the help!

BTW - Troll - if yiou read this, email me - I am close to you and would be interested in your opinions and having your shop do some work on this for me.

Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you dont mind me asking what did you give for your stang?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$5500

I little more than I wanted to go considering it has the typical Florida paint fade, but there are so few manual trannies around, I decided to go for it. The 2 must-have's were hardtop and stick...

J

Thats a great price for a 94 stang I would have bought it for that price.Got any pics?

No pics yet - I pick it up next weekend.

There are some minor issues to deal with, but no big deal. The tail pipes have been cut off, front drviers caliper is grabbibng (I think it's a warped rotor) and the CEL is on - probably an O2 sensor. That plus the stereo install will take up next weekend, but I will certainly get some pics posted when I get it.

J

Cant wait to see the pics:D

updates?

Did you get the stang?

shoot me a PM if ya have any morew questions....
i have a 5.0 and work on alot of em. any help i can give ya i will....

and by the way id forget about a blower. you dont need it yet.
get a good set of heads and a cam and new lifters etc.....
you can easily reach 400RWHP staying naturally aspirated...

Yep - I got it...

Runs well, but has a CEL after about 5 mintues of driving I need to check out. Here's a pic...

Dead Link Removed

J

well, looks like im shopping for a 94-95. wife just hit a deer with her MR2, and were not fixing it. i told her this time she's getting something that I can work on. been looking quite a bit, but everything around here is either 500+rwhp, or has 200k miles and a trashed interior. to add to that, these are her terms:

black or white ONLY
cloth interior (ugh)
5 spd. only (yea)

needless to say, i think well be looking for a while.:p

Nice ride Jon

Does the car have a h-pipe?

It has the stock h-pipe with 4 cats right now. I will add an offroad pipe down the road. Just did Flowmaster 40's and new stainless tipped pipes out the rear.

James - if you don't mind the trip to FL, there are a bunch of 94-95's down here <6k....

J

One of those 02 sensors is probally giving you trouble:(

yeh most likely an 02 sensor....
get a code reader.... it will pay its self off.

and ditch the three smoke rims :D

Originally posted by FMExplorer
Just did Flowmaster 40's and new stainless tipped pipes out the rear.

And? How much better does it sound over stock?

My Baby Stang

She likes to play too!

Dead Link Removed
:bounce:

Fastest time was a 13.2 @ 109 mph Squeezing a 100 shot of NOS (.54 jet I believe). Three plugs desinigrated on that run. I still have them, I think I was running 114 Octane Leaded Fuel.
She did like a 16.2 @ 89 mph back when she was stock (except drop in K&N Filter). Not bad for a 3.8L!

Mike,
Rims are the least of my worries - gotta do performance stuff first!

Pete - the pipes that were on there were cut off at the muffler - basically I had a car with vibrating seats - like you would pay .25 for at a sleazy motel :)

Now it sounds awesome! Some noise inside, but a nice growl out.

First big mod will be re-gearing. Currently, it has 2.73's - gonna swap to 3.73's. This should make it feel like 100hp more. Then heads, headers, MAS and TB all at once - late spring as the truck has to get some attention first - like new tires and installing the new P+P heads I got....

J

sounds good, keep us updated.....
:D

Back