Foxracin's 1991 Exploder | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Year : 1991
Model: Explorer
State: North Carolina
City: Mount Holly

Just picked up this Exploder last week. Its not in the best of shape but overall its decent. The motor runs great and the body has very few dents and dings.

When I got it the trans was out like every other a4ld. I am a 5 speed guy myself and was planning to convert to 5 speed anyway.

First thing and did is check the fluid in the trans. Nice and red, full, and doesnt smell burnt. Pulled one of the lines at the radiator and fired it up and no fliud. Nothing at all. Pulled the pressure plug in the side of the trans and fired it up to make sure the lines were not stopped up somewhere and still nothing so I knew something wasnt right with the pump.

Got it home and put it on some jack stands and started tearing out the trans.
explorer2.jpg

explorer.jpg

Got the trans out and pulled the torque converter out and found some scaring on the snout. Thats not supposed to be like that. lol
broketrans3.jpg

Pulled the bellhousing off then the pump from the bellhousing and theres the problem. One of the pump gears cracked and spread the teeth apart and locked up and spun on the torque converter.
broketrans.jpg

broketrans2.jpg

Oh well time to throw it in the scrap pile. Dont want to spend the money on it again not even know if the rest of the trans is good and for it to just break again. I figured I could swap in a 5 speed for not much more then fixing the a4ld.

Figured I would mess with the inside a little while I try to find a trans.

Put in a Sony headunit. Ran new speaker wires and used the internal amp after 2 stock amps were not right. Soldered all the connections and ran new speaker wire and its good as new.
explorer7.jpg

Put it in a Midland CB I had laying around.
explorer6.jpg

Overall shot of the interior.
explorer4.jpg

Then I figured I would ride over the the Pull-A-Part to see if I could run across anything. Sure enough ran across a 1992 5 speed Exploder. But somebody already robbed the trans and starter. Figured I would go ahead and get what I could off it. Got the computer, Manual trans wiring harness, pedals, and Master cylinder(when they got the trans they cut the line so it wasnt useable). Still had the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate still on it too but I didnt have the money for it right then.

So I came home and started swapping out some stuff.

Manual trans wiring harness.
explorer9.jpg

Swapped computers and moved it to behind the glove compartment to get it a little higher.
explorer5.jpg

Swapped the pedals. I left the pedal assembly in and just changed out the brake pedal and put the clutch pedal on. It was aggravating but definitely beats pulling the dash out to change the entire assembly.
explorer8.jpg

Went back the next day to Pull-A-Part to get the clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff crawled under it and somebody done took the clutch and pressure plate. So I missed out on that. Went ahead and pulled the flywheel off though. It looked fairly new.
explorer10.jpg

Pile of junk parts I have pulled off so far. lol It keeps getting bigger.
explorer3.jpg

Thats where I am at so far. Need to scrounge up some money to get me a trans and a few other pieces and I should be set.

For now I will probably just do a body lift and coil spacers and shackles for now with some 33's or 34's after I get it on the road.

Then save up for the d44 SAS down the road.

Ill keep this thread updated as I get some more work done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok, so since you cut off the rockers, and are building sliders, are you going to boatside as well?

Thought about it but since the frame drops down towards the back it wouldnt just be a straight shot and would probably end up looking goofy so probably wont but we will see.

Well a few updates I forgot to mention.

Swapped on a set of manual doors and took the snorkel off a couple weeks ago but no pics.

Went and messed around in the woods with a buddy last friday and I ended up being the jeep recovery vehicle. My buddy got a little brave and ended up flopping his jeep. Pics dont really do much but its a little downhill off camber turs with a big rock you have to climb up one cause the is a tree in the way. It leans like crazy when your on it. He got a little brave and went too high up on the rock and over she went.

IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

IMAG0380.jpg

Only damage was busted out the windshield and dented the a pillar. Didnt even knock the side mirror off. We flipped it back over and kicked the windshield out and kept on truckin.

Made up some new power and ground wires with some 1 gauges welding wire my buddy had laying around. Replaced them all. Spins over fasssst now.
IMAG0409.jpg

Got some new stickers in the mail today.
IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0407.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

Also got all the old pieces of the old sliders ground off the frame so it ready for the new ones to be welded on. Going to try to get them on the week sometime.

lol, where did you get the mall rated sticker at? I like it.

I wish I had manual doors...

Man, you are hard your rigs. But then again who wants a mall crawler that has a doubler. :p:

Lookin' good, man.

lovin those sliders:D

hey bro nice ex... what did you paint it with?

Got some more work done.

One of the exhuast manifold gaskets blew out and its was driving me crazy so I finally went and got some gaskets and changed it. Also picked up a new oil sender to do the oil pressure gauge mod to actually have a working gauge instead of just a dummy light.

Old sender
IMAG0434.jpg

New sender
IMAG0433.jpg

Resistor you need to jump
IMAG0431.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

Also got my new rear brake brackets put on and made some guessets for them. Hopefully they wont break off this time.
IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

Then made some new motor mounts and trans mount.

Trans mount.
IMAG0428.jpg

Motor mounts. There bolt on incase I ever want to change something. Lots if pics if anybody wants to try making some.

Passenger side.
Motor plate.
IMAG0435.jpg

Frame plate
IMAG0436.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

All tacked together.
IMAG0438.jpg

Welded
IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

Painted and finished ready to go on.
IMAG0442.jpg

Pic comparing it to stock one that was falling apart.
IMAG0441.jpg

In place.
IMAG0443.jpg

Now the drives side.
All tacked together.
IMAG0446.jpg

Getting a little better at welding. Still learning. lol
IMAG0447.jpg

Motor plate.
IMAG0449.jpg

All done.
IMAG0450.jpg

Going wheeling next weekend at Windrock with a buddy from James Duff so stay tuned for pics/vids.

looks great man, too bad you arent closer, your fab work is awesome!! how much for a bumper :D

who do you know at Duff? ive been wheeling with the guy who owns "hell *****" (EB buggy) that works there.

Back