Foxracin's 1991 Exploder | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Year : 1991
Model: Explorer
State: North Carolina
City: Mount Holly

Just picked up this Exploder last week. Its not in the best of shape but overall its decent. The motor runs great and the body has very few dents and dings.

When I got it the trans was out like every other a4ld. I am a 5 speed guy myself and was planning to convert to 5 speed anyway.

First thing and did is check the fluid in the trans. Nice and red, full, and doesnt smell burnt. Pulled one of the lines at the radiator and fired it up and no fliud. Nothing at all. Pulled the pressure plug in the side of the trans and fired it up to make sure the lines were not stopped up somewhere and still nothing so I knew something wasnt right with the pump.

Got it home and put it on some jack stands and started tearing out the trans.
explorer2.jpg

explorer.jpg

Got the trans out and pulled the torque converter out and found some scaring on the snout. Thats not supposed to be like that. lol
broketrans3.jpg

Pulled the bellhousing off then the pump from the bellhousing and theres the problem. One of the pump gears cracked and spread the teeth apart and locked up and spun on the torque converter.
broketrans.jpg

broketrans2.jpg

Oh well time to throw it in the scrap pile. Dont want to spend the money on it again not even know if the rest of the trans is good and for it to just break again. I figured I could swap in a 5 speed for not much more then fixing the a4ld.

Figured I would mess with the inside a little while I try to find a trans.

Put in a Sony headunit. Ran new speaker wires and used the internal amp after 2 stock amps were not right. Soldered all the connections and ran new speaker wire and its good as new.
explorer7.jpg

Put it in a Midland CB I had laying around.
explorer6.jpg

Overall shot of the interior.
explorer4.jpg

Then I figured I would ride over the the Pull-A-Part to see if I could run across anything. Sure enough ran across a 1992 5 speed Exploder. But somebody already robbed the trans and starter. Figured I would go ahead and get what I could off it. Got the computer, Manual trans wiring harness, pedals, and Master cylinder(when they got the trans they cut the line so it wasnt useable). Still had the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate still on it too but I didnt have the money for it right then.

So I came home and started swapping out some stuff.

Manual trans wiring harness.
explorer9.jpg

Swapped computers and moved it to behind the glove compartment to get it a little higher.
explorer5.jpg

Swapped the pedals. I left the pedal assembly in and just changed out the brake pedal and put the clutch pedal on. It was aggravating but definitely beats pulling the dash out to change the entire assembly.
explorer8.jpg

Went back the next day to Pull-A-Part to get the clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff crawled under it and somebody done took the clutch and pressure plate. So I missed out on that. Went ahead and pulled the flywheel off though. It looked fairly new.
explorer10.jpg

Pile of junk parts I have pulled off so far. lol It keeps getting bigger.
explorer3.jpg

Thats where I am at so far. Need to scrounge up some money to get me a trans and a few other pieces and I should be set.

For now I will probably just do a body lift and coil spacers and shackles for now with some 33's or 34's after I get it on the road.

Then save up for the d44 SAS down the road.

Ill keep this thread updated as I get some more work done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you get any vibrations with those mounts? I can't tell for sure if you have any bushings in them or not. Pretty cool stuff there to say the least. :thumbsup:

They have the leaf spring type poly bushings in them. It has a little more vibrations at idle but other then that they feel a lot better. When you push the gas it feels a lot more firmer and cant feel the motor twisting up. I like them. Especially with my doubler.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/BUSHDOM.html

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

looks great man, too bad you arent closer, your fab work is awesome!! how much for a bumper :D

who do you know at Duff? ive been wheeling with the guy who owns "hell *****" (EB buggy) that works there.

**** Im still learning the fabricating thing. Havent ever done any bumpers but thats next on the list for mine. So well see how they turn out.

Brad is the guy I know. Hasnt been working there real long yet. Hes got a Explorer with the same junk as mine. If you free next weekend and could make the trip you should come. Be a pretty good haul for you though.

Hey man, where did you find your doubler, I have been looking all over the place for one but cant find any:(

Nice build by the way, love your X:salute:

Hey man, where did you find your doubler, I have been looking all over the place for one but cant find any:(

Nice build by the way, love your X:salute:

He did like everybody else that has a doubler.....he built it. ;)

Yea, got the kit from D&D Machine. He has all the hard work already done for you. You just have to weld in the filler pieces and assemble.

Right on, thats actually what I was wondering. Does D&D Machine have a web site or is there anouther way to get ahold of them?

So went up to windrock and did a little wheeling this weekend. Not too much carnage. Just a 9" shaft and took out the adjuster so had to rebuild the 9" pretty much back at camp. Keep in mind I drove it 4.5 hrs there. lol Managed to get around 18 mpg on the way up going through the mountains. Not to shabby.

Pics.

On the way up in the hammer down lane.
IMAG0455.jpg

IMAG0456.jpg

Bottom of Rattle rock
IMAG0457.jpg

IMAG0458.jpg

240171_2040498379598_1458458417_2352848_6390452_o.jpg

257450_2040498499601_1458458417_2352849_5762704_o.jpg

257141_2040500099641_1458458417_2352855_57764_o.jpg

253970_2040503099716_1458458417_2352865_7867995_n.jpg

240011_2040503699731_1458458417_2352867_4908987_o.jpg

Tearing the 9" apart.
242838_2040506059790_1458458417_2352876_2902125_o.jpg

Clear water.
242456_2040510819909_1458458417_2352893_3921100_o.jpg

Windmills
IMAG0459.jpg

IMAG0460.jpg

IMAG0461.jpg

2wd Sami
IMAG0462.jpg

Some pics my buddy Brad with the other Explorer got.
IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWbdMVOy-ow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koe0y6UtolU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvVNhTfqwvE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u72kNr6bK5w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyMRmfxJGSY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLxxBkIxSzo

Cant wait to do it again.

Still driving it like you stole it... gotta respect that.

Looks like you had a good time. Hey can you ask the guy with the other Explorer, where he got his front bumper. Looks good! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowlyvverot View Post
I wish I had manual doors...Quote:

So did I. lol

I USED to...

I was going to ask if you ever put the doors on... then I seen the last photo of yours and the other 1st gen, and seen you had a passenger mirror again. I'm sure it won't be long before it disappears again.

I finally spray bombed my truck so it isn't the 6 shades of red w/ brown and tan doors. As soon as I find some extra $$$ all 4 doors are getting the new motor bushing treatment.

My truck has been subscribed to the pull-a-part/ craigslist/ whatever I can find laying around parts catalog...

Yours certainly looks different than the last time I seen it. Kudos for having the time/ patientce/ $$$ and everything else that was involved.

Went to a local private 4 wheeling park that had a open ride this past weekend and watched some badass wheeling. The club that own the land and puts it on is the Big Dixie Boggers. Great group of people.

As usual not many pics. Having to much fun.
IMAG0465.jpg

IMAG0466.jpg

My buddies jeep.
IMAG0463.jpg

First time he took it out with the new steering setup he got. Turned out its junk. Its already pre bent to clear **** and now its really bent.
IMAG0464.jpg

We got it fixed up though.
IMAG0470.jpg

IMAG0471.jpg

imagejpeg_2_10.jpg

imagejpeg_2_7.jpg

Managed to twist off another driveshaft.
IMAG0469.jpg

Some nice parking at Lowes. People were calling us retarded, saying it was badass, and taking videos.
IMAG0467.jpg

IMAG0468.jpg

Better day time pic.
IMAG0473.jpg

Then on the way to work yesterday the fuel pump decides to give up. Didnt want to drop the tank so got the grinder out and started cutting. Here is what I found. Mud is the devil. lol
IMAG0474.jpg

When I was scrapping all the dirt off and cleaning it up scrapped a little too much rust off one of the lines coming out of the sending unit and it had a pinhole in it so had to get a whole new unit. No big deal. Got a new sender unit/pump assembly for $65 at Advance with a online coupon. New unit in and all cleaned up.
IMAG0475.jpg

Made a plate to cover the hole up and easily removable in the future.
IMAG0476.jpg

IMAG0477.jpg

Then today got some free 30 spline 300m gears for the Warn hubs from RCV. Cant beat free.
IMAG0479.jpg

30 spline 300m vs stock 19 spline.
IMAG0480.jpg

Gears installed and ready to go.
IMAG0481.jpg

Hubs back on. Now to see how strong they are. They say there just as strong as a drive flange with these gears. We shall see.
IMAG0482.jpg

Back