• Register Today It's free!

FPIU keys?

Eric Z

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer PIU
So most PIU's come with fleet keys, (non-smart) with lots of copies out there. What are people doing to better secure their rides? I know they can be re-keyed, but without upgrade to smart key, that doesn't seem to make them any safer. Anybody use an aftermarket ignition interlock or alarm system? Any good ones or ones to avoid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure most Pius come with fleet keys? I looked at quite a few new and used ones when doing the asbuilt explorer deducer and didn't see many with that option. I also have 2 Pius and neither have fleet key option. Either way, I have insurance for theft, so I don't really care.

I also have another ford with keypad entry on driver door frame. I am sure the previous owner and perhaps others have the master code and could get in that car if they wanted. Again, insurance, don't care.

If I did care, I think I'd go with rekey or maybe a hidden switch to disable ignition.

Ok I guess I define fleet key as non-chip on anything newer than say 2010. And I seem to recall reading there are something like less than 10 types of fleet key cuts. Bottom line was key might open a lot of different fleet vehicles Police/Fire/EMT/City. I do not believe a smart key can be added without a fair amount of work. So the hidden switch option sounds good, but how complex would that be? Wondering if there is something that would plug into the diagnostic port to create non-start condition?

If you don't have a fleet key option, the std key is no different than any standard car key. If someone really wants a certain vehicle, they will find a way to get it regardless of key or alarm. Same thing if they want something from inside that vehicle, key type or steering wheel lock or alarm isn't going to be much of a deterrent.

What kind of locks/keys do you have on your house? Go search for how easy it is to defeat most house locksets. That should take your mind off the vehicle locks for a while...

In and around my region, 25 Toyotas were stolen from dealer lots. Most were Highlanders and Tacomas with a few 4Runners. A camera at one dealership caught the thieves at work. It took an average of 2.5 minutes using a laptop to make off with the vehicles. It proves it is very difficult to secure any vehicle if someone really wants it.

Peter

In and around my region, 25 Toyotas were stolen from dealer lots. Most were Highlanders and Tacomas with a few 4Runners. A camera at one dealership caught the thieves at work. It took an average of 2.5 minutes using a laptop to make off with the vehicles.

Peter
Were those all 5 year old used Toyotas that were former police vehicles with ~100k miles on them?

I have owned 3 crown Vic interceptor 03,09,11 all had a nonchip fleet key. As a matter of fact the key of the 03 would start the 11. I now have a 14 PIU is came with a nonchip key. I lost it a week after driving it Home. Call the city garage in a suburb of Chicago where I bought it. The service manager said all of their PIU were keyed the same and gave me the fleet code. Ordered 3 of eBay. Showed up 3 days later cut and ready to go.

I have owned 3 crown Vic interceptor 03,09,11 all had a nonchip fleet key. As amateur of fact the key of the 03 would start the 11. I now have a 14 PIU is came with a nonchip key. I lost it a week after driving it Home. Call the city garage in a suburb of Chicago where I bought it. The service manager said all of their PIU were keyed the same and gave me the fleet code. Ordered 3 of eBay. Showed up 3 days later cut and ready to go.
Okay. PIUs can be ordered with standard keys or with the fleet key option. They are all non-chip style and you can get replacements at the local hardware store for a dollar or so.

Actually the smart key module should be already in the vehicle, just disabled when the vehicle is ordered with fleet key option. I guess you can simply enable the smart key option, but then if would become headache how to program your keys without going to dealership / IDS (not sure if Forscan can do it, never try).

In my opinion, a well hid kill switch might be a better option than smart key...

Actually the smart key module should be already in the vehicle, just disabled when the vehicle is ordered with fleet key option. I guess you can simply enable the smart key option, but then if would become headache how to program your keys without going to dealership / IDS (not sure if Forscan can do it, never try).

In my opinion, a well hid kill switch might be a better option than smart key...
The std key and fleet key are the same key for the piu. The fleet key option just allows you to order multiple vehicles that are "keyed alike" and use the same keys. Think of it like door locks for your house. You can buy locks for your front and back door that use a different key for each, or that are keyed alike and use the same key.

The std key and fleet key are the same key for the piu. The fleet key option just allows you to order multiple vehicles that are "keyed alike" and use the same keys. Think of it like door locks for your house. You can buy locks for your front and back door that use a different key for each, or that are keyed alike and use the same key.

I get your point. But still the key of PIUs are not smart key (at least on mine one. not sure if that is true for both options). What I want to point out is that you can turn on the smart key module in the PIU to use smart key (or programmed key, what ever you like to call) just like the retail.

I get your point. But still the key of PIUs are not smart key (at least on mine one. not sure if that is true for both options). What I want to point out is that you can turn on the smart key module in the PIU to use smart key (or programmed key, what ever you like to call) just like the retail.
But that is the point. LE vehicles generally have an anti theft module added that allows them to be left idling but not driven off, or the 17-19 PIU (not sure on the 20) can be outfitted with the factory police idle feature.

They don't have a smart key option because they aren't typically being stolen by thieves like they would a Honda that gets chopped.

For regular folks, there are better options than a smart key if you are worried about theft. My personal preference is comprehensive insurance with replacement value coverage. Others prefer aftermarket alarms and other things

The fleet key option is just a std key that allows multiple vehicles to use the same key.

If you want to add/enable a hidden module or feature, that has nothing to do with whether the PIU was originally ordered with or without the fleet key option (ttbomk). Maybe Jason or someone else can chime in on whether the PIU has all the necessary hardware to enable smart key functionality or what need to be added.

I am assuming by smart key, you mean chip key/immobilizer, and not just keyless entry/remote start/perimeter alarm functionality.

So most PIU's come with fleet keys, (non-smart) with lots of copies out there. What are people doing to better secure their rides? I know they can be re-keyed, but without upgrade to smart key, that doesn't seem to make them any safer. Anybody use an aftermarket ignition interlock or alarm system? Any good ones or ones to avoid?

Plymouth have a big car theft issue, does it?

But that is the point. LE vehicles generally have an anti theft module added that allows them to be left idling but not driven off, or the 17-19 PIU (not sure on the 20) can be outfitted with the factory police idle feature.

They don't have a smart key option because they aren't typically being stolen by thieves like they would a Honda that gets chopped.

For regular folks, there are better options than a smart key if you are worried about theft. My personal preference is comprehensive insurance with replacement value coverage. Others prefer aftermarket alarms and other things

The fleet key option is just a std key that allows multiple vehicles to use the same key.

If you want to add/enable a hidden module or feature, that has nothing to do with whether the PIU was originally ordered with or without the fleet key option (ttbomk). Maybe Jason or someone else can chime in on whether the PIU has all the necessary hardware to enable smart key functionality or what need to be added.

I am assuming by smart key, you mean chip key/immobilizer, and not just keyless entry/remote start/perimeter alarm functionality.

OK, I got it.

And it seems like I'm wrong in the previous post. I checked the ignition switch when installing the police idle option, and found out that at least in my FPIU, the PATS transceiver is not installed. which means there is no smart key module installed.

Anyway, you are right about the fleet key option. And the smart key option might be different from department to department.

Plymouth have a big car theft issue, does it?
Not so much :) But after putting all the time and effort into setting the vehicle up how I like it, be a shame for it to get stolen by anyone with easy access to Ford fleet keys. That and I doubt insurance would cover true replacement costs.

Not so much :) But after putting all the time and effort into setting the vehicle up how I like it, be a shame for it to get stolen by anyone with easy access to Ford fleet keys. That and I doubt insurance would cover true replacement costs.

Short answer: NO. You are going to lost at least 1/3 of the value plus everything else on board your vehicle. It seems like the estimate value of a FPIU (or any ex-cop car) are much lower than the retail model and most likely far from reach to the replacement cost.

p.s. I live in one of the worst neighborhood in the states, but instead of worrying about my car be stolen, I worried more about being broken in. Replacing glass every couple of months and now I'm considering getting some harden glass...

Short answer: NO. You are going to lost at least 1/3 of the value plus everything else on board your vehicle. It seems like the estimate value of a FPIU (or any ex-cop car) are much lower than the retail model and most likely far from reach to the replacement cost.

p.s. I live in one of the worst neighborhood in the states, but instead of worrying about my car be stolen, I worried more about being broken in. Replacing glass every couple of months and now I'm considering getting some harden glass...

I've never heard anything like what you posted. That is just not how insurance works. There is no % of value that you just automatically lose in an insurance claim. You also don't just lose out on anything and everything on board. Know what type of policy and coverages you have and what items are covered under what policies.

When I quoted my insurance, a PIU was considered a base explorer by many insurance companies. There are many factors that can affect a claim - condition and mileage are two big ones. If your insurance company/coverage is not good, best suggestion is to find one that is better or, if you have a claim, involve an attorney to help you negotiate the best possible outcome (YMMV if cost is worth it for you).

It sounds like you may want to move, or at least park your vehicle in an enclosed garage or fenced area if break in is a bigger deal than outright theft of the entire vehicle.

You can change your door and ignition lock cylinders out if you want. There's some labor, but the parts aren't expensive.

As far as insurance, you can find some that will pay you full replacement cost or even more. You may not like the increased premiums over a more basic policy, but that's just how risk works. The more risk you want an insurance company to assume, the more they will charge for the policy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard anything like what you posted. That is just not how insurance works. There is no % of value that you just automatically lose in an insurance claim. You also don't just lose out on anything and everything on board. Know what type of policy and coverages you have and what items are covered under what policies.

When I quoted my insurance, a PIU was considered a base explorer by many insurance companies. There are many factors that can affect a claim - condition and mileage are two big ones. If your insurance company/coverage is not good, best suggestion is to find one that is better or, if you have a claim, involve an attorney to help you negotiate the best possible outcome (YMMV if cost is worth it for you).

It sounds like you may want to move, or at least park your vehicle in an enclosed garage or fenced area if break in is a bigger deal than outright theft of the entire vehicle.

The number / percentage came from my experience of totaled claim of my family members. The way I got it the number is how much they paid us vs how much to get an same vehicle from the market with similar criteria (like mileage, options). For example, one of the totaled vehicle was a toyota SUV, which was new, under 5000 mileage, no prior damage. The check they send us for sure didn't make close to the market price not even close to if I'm getting it from a used market, not to mention getting a new one. The loan insurance covered the gap so we cleared out from the loan, but still losing what we have already paid for months. Consider if you have no GAP insurance, you have to pay the make up yourself, which results in the auto lost I mentioned. Even if you are not in a loan, you still lost the make up portion (but the good side is you don't owe anyone).

They did treat PIU as explorer, but they treated it like a base explorer without any option and consider not so good condition (that's what I heard from my insurance agent). Which means with the high mileage already on the car, they aren't going to pay much for replacement cost.

Also, as least for my insurance (which is farmers), they repeatedly told us they will not cover anything that is not permanently mounted to the vehicle (like any accessories, valuable, etc.). They said those coverage should be under rental / home owner insurance which cover property lost, but not auto policy (which I mainly addressing to). Maybe different company has different policy, but this is base on my experience.

Last but not least, simply too hard to relocated as I'm getting a bargain for my current rent, which make it still affordable replacing some broken glasses. Unfortunately there is no alternative parking choice here (there is no enclosed parking within couple miles except those doesn't open to public). The parking lot I'm using now used to be a enclosed private parking, but the new landlord just decided he wants some extra cash and opened the door to everyone, without any security measure, and have a big sign on the wall saying he is not responsible for any lost and broke in.

Back