shucker1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
Guys,

Moving on to the point where I'm cleaning my frame for POR-15.

Looking for something to cut the grease and built up funk.

I know @CDW6212R has said the frame is coated in a wax like material but how can I get it off as well as the built up slime?

Tried Castrol Super Clean, Did some of it but the heavy stuff is still there.

Tried Mag wheel cleaner which actually has a mild acid. Better...

Tried oven cleaner but this crap still remains but getting less.

Going out there to try a grout solvent (Like a Laquer Thinner) we use at work and a Binks Gun which is basically a syphon spray gun.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Chris, I had the benefit of having the body off, but it still takes a harsh cleaner to cut that film. I liked engine degreaser to keep it wet, and the cheapest carb cleaner I could get. But any such harsh cleaner will work, it's just that if it dries fast you don't have much time to clean with it. So I played with engine degreaser and something else, which lasted longer to get through the coating without having to spray it constantly.

I only went about to the rear wheels, and realized that the coating you put on has to be very good. The OEM coatings is great long term, so be sure you can re-coat any areas you get stripped to bare metal.

Don,
I only wish I had the facilities to get the body off....

It's just 20 years of grease and dirt. Not much rust, more of a scale, since we are way down South.

Solvent I used now dried it out and turned it into a sticky dust.

Trying engine cleaner next.

Just so many little pockets to get to...

Chris

Exactly, try to not remove film from places you won't be able to coat with the POR-15. I was using a tooth brush a lot to get into tight spots, but I knew I'd be able to coat it all later with a brush, I used the Eastwood product. I'm going to use POR-15 next time for my 98 Explorer, I think the Eastwood stuff let go of the frame to some degree. The frame gets much more twisting than a body part, the testing I saw beforehand made the Eastwood product seem better(longer lasting). But if it lets go from forces like twisting, that's a failure.

I might go to Lowes tomorrow and get some ZEP Purple Power and try that straight. Usually works pretty good but don't get it on you.

No driving this afternoon...

I've had a couple of Cervesa's during this experiment.....

At least the LCA key and torsion bar have been sand blasted to they can be painted in the garage tonight...

Have it in an area you can use a pressure washer? Brake parts cleaner works great for rinsing oily areas down.

Yeah, be sure to final wipe it all before the POR-15, with a brake cleaner or prepsol, a light solvent like any paint process.

Have it in an area you can use a pressure washer? Brake parts cleaner works great for rinsing oily areas down.

Yes Sir.

In front of the house. I returned the pressure washer to the machine shop where I work about 3 weeks ago after doing the driveway and patio.

I guess I could go get that heavy turd back.

Looks like this project may be going on the back burner for a week. Got a phone call...

Might be going to a place called Hastings, West Virginia to fix an old 1960's pneumatic control panel....

West Virginia in the summer beats West Virginia in the winter any time in my feeble mind.

Back