• Register Today It's free!

Frame Trim Piece Question

Explorer0204

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT
Hello everyone, I have a question that I have searched and searched for and have yet to find the answer to. Does anyone know what this trim piece is called that went in place of the running boards to cover the frame on the XLS models? I really like the look of no running boards and I HATE the plastic ones that come on them stock because they don't have an open back and just collect snow. The explorer in that pic has the trim piece I am talking about right under the driver and passenger side doors.

I have looked all over and can't figure out what they are called or where to buy them. Thanks for any help.
10158.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that is called Rocker Moulding.

List price is $123 per side but you can get for $82 per side from Autonation Ford.

I also want to explore (pun intended. Sorry, I'm new here) the cleaner look of no running boards. Plus, my pant leg seems to always brush against them. Cant be good during inclement weather. I found this...
7L2Z-7810177-A - Ford Parts Giant Use 76 instead of 77 for the other side.

I had at least ten windows stacked trying to find these. Other Ford parts and e-slay seem to carry them. This link shows a bit more detail for mounting. There might be additional clip(s) and fasteners that are needed.

Oh well, back to the inter webs. Maybe I'll hit up the boneyards first for a looksie.

Hello everyone, I have a question that I have searched and searched for and have yet to find the answer to. Does anyone know what this trim piece is called that went in place of the running boards to cover the frame on the XLS models? I really like the look of no running boards and I HATE the plastic ones that come on them stock because they don't have an open back and just collect snow. The explorer in that pic has the trim piece I am talking about right under the driver and passenger side doors.

I have looked all over and can't figure out what they are called or where to buy them. Thanks for any help.
10158.jpg
The plastic on the doors is part of the lower body trim, and does not extend much below the rocker panels, nor does it cover the frame. I can clearly see the frame in that picture.

This is about frame rail covers when not using running boards.

It is a factory part. Serves the purpose, imo. One could fashion a cover from sheetmetal prolly easy enough but to each their own.
I happened to followed an Explorer yesterday that had them. It looked fine enough for what it is I suppose.

*self edit. hey dom. If your sig shows an XLS, does it have these covers or are you running factory running boards.

I drug the pic onto desktop then blew it up. Looks like it covers the frame rails well?

I don’t have the lower body trim, and love my running boards. It makes it easier to get in and out with 5” of lift and 32’s.

The truck has a 3” body lift, and I think the OEM running boards (more like nerf-bars) do a great job of distracting from the exposed frame.

This is about frame rail covers when not using running boards........,,

I drug the pic onto desktop then blew it up. Looks like it covers the frame rails well?
The lower body trim is attached to the lower part of the body, and doesn’t really extend below the body line. It is not a ‘frame rail cover’. On my XLS, there is a plastic strip about 1-1/2 wide that is mounted to the bottom of the rocker panels. Is that what you are referring to?

Either way, neither really covers the frame.

Nope. If you blow up the pic of the red explorer, you will see , below the gray door trim panel, A darker moulding trim , more inbound, that covers the frame rail when not using running boards.

Nice ride you have there.

Thank you. You owe me a beer. I'm gonna like this place.
Peace,

Rocker moulding. Refer to my link or using inter web search, a few hits come up. When I find this in a Ford parts site, its usually under, Moulding, Pillars. There are two part numbers, left and right, xxx76 xxx77.

I don't know how they attach as of yet. Cant be too diff.

dom wrote, * Next time your in Southern CT a beer is on me. *
Careful there. I'm early out retired end of Nov. Is there still time for Fall colors or did the leaves drop?

Still a lot of green left where I am, but the leaves are turning and falling quick. By the end of Nov I would think we would be done.

Went to the boneyard today. They have at least a half dozen Gen 3's.
All had running boards. All smashed from the forks of the front end loader.

So last night while wearing a thick arse pair of wine goggles, I removed the boards. Left the brackets in place and resecured the hardware using some anti seize.

I did a few ins n outs a bit ago in the driveway and I'm liking the easier , to me, movement(s).
Then pulled the trigger thru the local Ford stealership for a set of the mouldings. Yep, I did it.
Dunno about mounting hardware yet. One of the reasons I went to the boneyard today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_4445.JPG

I only ordered <10176 and 77, left and right sides. The parts dept called back to see if I needed , the <29074 and <29114 brackets. I mentioned that I'll know that when the covers arrive. While scouring da net for these brackets, clearer pics showed them with two studs on the short and four studs on the long bracket(s). I'm hoping that this matches ,or is dangerously close to, the factory running board mounting bracket(s) location(s).
* observation. One thing that's a welcome is without the running boards, I have lots more room to crawl under for a look and/or work on undercarriage items.

Back