Front Diff. spitting oil out, What's wrong? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Diff. spitting oil out, What's wrong?

ngreen01

Reaction score
City, State
Hull, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
I have an 01 Sport and last week I noticed gear oil dripping from the control arms. I checked the fluid in the front diff. and filled it. then two days later it did it again. What could be wrong with it? Any ideas let me know.
Thanks
Nick Greenfield

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it coming out of the vent tube or where the driveshaft connects?

Ck the vent line, is most likely kinked or plugged

Yeah if the diff cant breathe then it will force the fluid out.
It's either leaking out the pinion seal at the driveshaft or the axle grease seals :)

There is a tsb out on that for the '01's. It's tsb #03-5-8 issued in March, 2003. Title: Drivetrain - Front Drive Axle Vent Tube Leaks. You can check for TSB's on your vehicle at http://www.alldata.com

Also, have you added any fluid to it recently, or driven through any water. Because when I added some fluid to mine recently, it started to come out of the vent tube. I talked to someone and they said sometimes two different fluids can mix and cause the fluid to foam and come out the vent tube. This also happend when I crossed a stream one time and got some water in the Diff. It started to foam out the vent tube then also. Pulled the cover off and found water in there. I did not realize the someone (owner before me) had zip tied the vent hose to the bottom cross member. I promptly tied up hire after this experience.

Back