1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Front Differential Oil Change

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by esclamada, August 21, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. esclamada

esclamada Active Member

City, State:
    KCMO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '02 Mountaineer AWD V8
    Just posting a tip on how to do the change.

The area is too tight, some say you need to drop the front diff to remove the covers. I think it's the most convenient way if the cover is leaking and you need to re-seal the diff cover otherwise just suck the old fluid out and fill in.

I used 1.4 qts of Mobil1 75W90 synthetic gear oil and Harbor Freight ($5) multi purpose pump tool. Cost me $26 total.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...48395231.43123.110528882348605&type=1&theater

-----------------------------------------------------------
    MY MOUNTY
    http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. miker104

miker104 Active Member

City, State:
    N KY
    '04 XLT
    Ford changed the spec for the rear gear oil to 75W140 synthetic a while back. Photo looks like you used 75W90.

4. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2008 XLT Ironman
    You are correct about the rear but his post was talking about the front axle. 75W 90 is fine for the front

5. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2008 XLT Ironman
    I did the same thing...MUCH easier :thumbsup: I overfilled mine slightly and got a little leak from the axle seal on the passenger side as a result. Should go away once the excess leaks off though.

6. dwcopple

dwcopple Member

City, State:
    bay city, MI
    '04 Mounty
    very nice job. i bought one of those pump kits on Saturday. My old one quit working. I plan on doing my front diff too later this week when the kids are gone...thanks for the pics.

7. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Active Member

City, State:
    Cary, NC
    2002 XLT, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC
    That's exactly what I did. Suctioned out as much as I could get...then refilled with Mobil 1 75W90.

8. Extremistno9

Extremistno9 New Member

City, State:
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ford Explorer 02XLT 07EB
    How are things working out for the Front Differential with the fluid change? I am wanting to do the front on mine and I would tackle it the same way you guys did. Just curious if having a touch of old fluid mixed with the new caused any issues. Thanks in advance.

9. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Orchard Park, N.Y.
    '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
    You can just pump out as much old, front diff fluid as possible thru the fill hole using either a hand pump with tubing or an electric pump and some tubing. Open the fill hole in the front diff and push the tubing in as deep as you can get it into the diff and pump it out. You'll never get it completely bone dry during draining this way, but adding new fluid to a little bit of old won't hurt anything. When you go to re-fill with new gear oil, have the vehicle level during re-filling and when the fluid starts to back out of the fill hole and drip down, it is full. You can attach your hand pump to the new bottle of gear oil and pump it in that way using the same tubing you drained it with.