1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Front Drive train and 4x4 broke. Help!

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by skiingsean, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. skiingsean

skiingsean New Member

City, State:
      Prescott, Az
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 Explorer
      Ok, well I finally got a few hours to go out and do some work on the car, my 4x4 has been out for some time now and while putting brakes on it today I noticed that when I spun one tire the other wouldn't counter spin or spin at all (both front tires) same with the other side. So I got underneath it and turned the driveshaft (front) with my hands and at about .5-1 turns to either side it would catch and begin to spin the tires until it would skip and let go again and then the tires would free spin.
      Any suggestions? The only problem is that I can't just pop the plate off the front diff like the rear since there isnt one on my 93.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. punkbek3886

punkbek3886 Active Member

City, State:
      Vero Beach, FL
      '91 Sport
      do you have automatic hubs? if so i can almost guarantee you that is the problem. i have the same problem and will be ordering warn manual hubs from www.truckperformance.com thursday.

4. punkbek3886

punkbek3886 Active Member

City, State:
      Vero Beach, FL
      '91 Sport
      by the way, the reason the other wheel wouldnt counter spin is because the locking hubs only lock up when they sense the driveshaft is moving, so yours were just freewheeling like they should. as for the driveshaft catching and releasing, i still believe your problem is your hubs

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      When you spin the driveshaft is it slipping in the differential or at the wheels? In other words, what are the axle shafts doing?

6. skiingsean

skiingsean New Member

City, State:
      Prescott, Az
      '93 Explorer
      Ok, sorry for a very very inadequate post erlier. I have actually two problems which is quite apparent when I explain the whole situation. Yes I have locking hubs, and yes I can see the axel shafts moving, so, its not in the diffy. BUT both hubs skip, sometimes lock, then skip again. AND when I hit the 4x4 button I hear the relay click but the motor wont engage. havent had much time to use a voltmeter or ohm meter, does anyone know exactly which wires carry a current and need to be tested by chance? But most likely I think its the motor, I plan on taking it apart when I get some time and cleaning it up, any helpfull hints or suggestions on that one?

7. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS